Black bears in Louisiana

I think there is a fair number of bears in Louisiana along the Mississippi River. It is not uncommon for the bears to cross the river into Mississippi.

Teddy Roosevelt did his renowned bear hunt just north of Vicksburg at Onward, MS. His guide was Holt Collier, a former slave and courageous Confederate soldier in the Civil War. He was well known for his equestrian skills and pistol shooting. He later became a famous bear guide in Mississippi.

Teddy Roosevelt had close friendship with John McIlhenny (Tobassco Hot Sauce). They bear hunted East Carroll and Madison parishes in northwest LA on and close to the Mississippi River.

Louisiana has an interesting history of bears and bear hunting.

I encounter bear occasionally when surveying. Hogs more often, but both are the reason I carry a .45 Colt or larger on my hip these days.

Here is a story that occurred this year in MS. The location is Merigold, MS which is approx 25 mi. due east of the Mississippi River in Mississippi Delta.

"She's in the tree, and so is the bear

Mississippians are typically excited when they get an opportunity to see a bear, but this encounter would scare the pants off most folks. Stephanie McGarrh of Merigold said she was hunting from a tree stand one morning in the Delta and things didn't seem quite right.

"There were a couple of hogs beneath the stand and they were acting nervous," McGarrh said. "Then I heard some limbs that were breaking and spooked the hogs."

She heard more activity in the persimmon tree limbs above her and assumed it was coming from raccoons feeding. However, the tree began to sway.

When daylight came, McGarrh realized there was a bear in the tree with her. She began shooting video and at one point the bear quickly came down the tree, growling only inches away from her. The video was frightening and the story was our biggest outdoors story of the year."

"That was the most unnerving part, the growling," McGarrh said. "But he didn't stop by me. That growling sound he made right by me was hair-raising for sure."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
18whlsrolin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross