Black Bear outfits here in the States...

Johnny,
I understand your concern.
However, self guided in Alaska does not need to be an expensive proposition. Spot and stalk bear hunting ranks up there with sheep hunting in my opinion. These are seriously smart critters to sneak up on. If you change your mind, I would be happy to provide some ideas.
Bill

Back in the '90s I hunted with Bob and Carol Morgan, owners of Allagash Wilderness Camps. My two hunting partners scored but I did not take a bear. Still had a great time. They're success rate is 70%. One caveat, if you're looking for a chocolate on your pillow at night, this isn't the place.

https://www.allagashwildernesscamps.com/

It's all the way at the northern end of U.S. Route 1.

Almost forgot. Maine has a lot of bugs. :rolleyes:
Happy to see this review, I nearly booked with them for 2021 but my first africa safari for that year blocked it.
I can only usually afford a trip every other year since I cover most of my son's expenses also.

Holy crap! Dare to Hyde gets 10k for their bear hunts PLUS a trophy fee over a certain weight. Nuts! I’ll save that money for Africa again!
I live about thirty miles from there. I looked at those prices after someone local told me that Dare to Hyde Was The place to go. I said that I could buy a new rifle, scope, and hunt deer for twenty years at that price. The problem is that area is locked up pretty tight with leases and whatnot so there is not much of an option.

Hey guys toying around with booking a black bear hunt for next fall for here in the states. Any recommendations? Thanks. JB
After the successful lion hunt I am considering a black bear hunt with David Martínez of DMV Outfitters in Espanola, NM. These hound hunts run from late August through October.
Philip

@johnnyblues,

Prince of Wales island, part of the state of Alaska has huge bears. And you can DIY if you want, though I believe there's a draw for a tag. There are also outfitters that will take you, but I'm guessing they aren't cheap. POW is well known for its bears.

Some years back I looked up McKenzie Outfitters in Canada. Google them and you'll find their website. I guess it's what is being called earlier in this thread a "bucket" hunt. It's a bait hunt. You camp by a lake. The only access to the area is via float plane. And I believe they have exclusive rights to hunt on the area they do. I thought the price was reasonable considering it included the cost of the float plane trip.

Clark Purvis at Roanoke River Waterfowl in North Carolina:

http://www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/big-game.html

You can drive there from Georgia. The bears are huge and you can hunt in a stand or with dogs. The food is great and since Clark has been to Africa many times you can chat about safari memories over the campfire.

As with everything, one needs to know the entire cost. Average bait hunt is advertised to be say $2000

Well you are going to probably stay 2 nights in a hotel for $200, gas $200, tip $200, eat on the highway 4 days $100, and that's not including the misc crap you bought for the trip, the rug that is $1200 or life size mount that's $3000.

So your $2000 hunt is really $4000, minimum

I'd rethink Alaska, Look at annahootz alaskan adventure. Boat based ,an absolute blast!

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do start to consider Alaska, I hunted with Keegan McCarthy in 2004 and can't say enough good things about him and his crew. He's pricey - its a boat based hunt (food, accommodations, etc all 5 star). Here's the link if interested: http://www.coastalalaskaadventures.com

Never been myself, but I know lots of people that rave about the aforementioned Conman’s and have talked with him a time or two on the NC hunting forums. Good dude.

Holy crap! Dare to Hyde gets 10k for their bear hunts PLUS a trophy fee over a certain weight. Nuts! I’ll save that money for Africa again!

@johnnyblues, North America vs lower 48 may be the route. I have hunted in Manitoba and was very reasonable price wise. 100% success. No frills, rustic, small sleeping cabins and cooking shed, cook for yourself kind of thing, but bears galore. All color phases, and was $ 1500 bucks. Store nearby, trout pond to fish and kill time. And both ground and tree blinds. Very exciting hunting black bear over bait from the ground. Very up close and personal. Just would need to add in flight, car rental, groceries and tip. Leave out late afternoon and hunt until around 9-10PM as it stays light.

I am from NC. Dare to Hyde is expensive but if you want to shoot a 500 pounds plus bear they are your goo too. Its a great state to hunt black bears in. most guys who run dogs half the time are looking for a shooter.

Plenty of good outfits in NC who run great success rates and you are going to shoot a 200-300 pound bear. Shoot me a message and I can help.

Go to British Columbia in the spring. In a week you will see 20 + boars spot and stalk, and all with perfect, non-rubbed winter pelts. I have taken three with BC Trophy Mountain Outfitters over the years, and my son took a terrific chocolate boar last May. They are affordable, great folks, and have lots of bears in every color phase. A couple of mine below (the top one is a BIG bear). PM me if you like.
187370-ad2e114c2e646f52b553c7b60be16588.jpg

212707-34bdcb4620bb7fec9b4c6e798e8fc8a7.jpg

I am from NC. Dare to Hyde is expensive but if you want to shoot a 500 pounds plus bear they are your goo too. Its a great state to hunt black bears in. most guys who run dogs half the time are looking for a shooter.

Plenty of good outfits in NC who run great success rates and you are going to shoot a 200-300 pound bear. Shoot me a message and I can help.
Thank you.

Johnny what is your budget I’ve hunted bear several areas including Alaska

Ive looked at some stuff online and been in touch with those Redleg suggested.
Not sure there is any cheap bear hunting.
In comparison you might get more game for your outlay in Africa.
My problem is i live in Australia so im up for flights and shipping wherever i go.
I havent given up on bear but it would add up quickly.

If I decide to go I’d like to stay I the 3 k range. But in all honesty I’m planning to go back to Africa in 21 so I’m thinking the budget may be a bust since I’m known to have no self control in Africa .:LOL:

@johnnyblues - are there no outfits in your own back yard? Thinking Dahlonega...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg