Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
I've been hunting our family place probably since I was 5 or so, so about 45 or 46 years. I've never heard of black bear in our part of the state. Heck, there are feral hogs all around our area, but not actually in our area.

My cousins (live on an adjoining property to ours) caught this on their game cam this past Friday night, 20 Dec 19.

I reckon it can't weigh more than 100-150#, so I figure momma just kicked him/her out. But that means there are a momma and daddy in the area, too.

For those that know the area, the place is near the intersection of highways 965 and 966, about halfway between St. Francisville and Jackson.

black_bear.jpg

Nice, look at it positively, maybe it will thin out the feral hog problem a bit. A steady supply of groceries is mighty enticing.

Nice, look at it positively, maybe it will thin out the feral hog problem a bit. A steady supply of groceries is mighty enticing.

I'm actually quite excited about it, feral hogs or no. I don't believe there'll be a huntable population of them in my lifetime, but my grandson will be 1 year old next month, so maybe by the time he's my age, give or take a little.

Only downside is that they will make it harder to feed/bait the deer, if that is allowed in your area. They move in to the munchies and can displace the deer. Seeing as this fellow is on your cousin's lot, could mean good things for you!

Only downside is that they will make it harder to feed/bait the deer, if that is allowed in your area. They move in to the munchies and can displace the deer. Seeing as this fellow is on your cousin's lot, could mean good things for you!

That feeder on the right is for the deer. And he was only about 300-400 yards from our property line, maybe a bit less than that.

Was deer hunting since last Saturday. No bear tracks, but bobcats, deer, coyote, and all sorts of varmints.

Not being a bear hunter, I don't know much about their habits. What I do know that on my 80 acres I have had as many as 6 trail cams out and 5 of them had photos of bear on them. This was over a course of 5 months. So to me it seemed as though the bear were just passing through. My only gripe is that we have planted 19 Apple trees in locations near bow stands and put wire fence around them to keep deer from eating the leaves. One of the trees was beginning to bare apples. For each of the past two years a bear had destroyed the wire fence and broken the tree to get the apples. This year I took photos of the claw marks several feet above the point where the tree broke from being bent over.

+1 on bears liking deer feeders.
I have seen photos of large capacity metal box feeders turned over by bears. Also bears tear down fences around deer feeders that were put up to keep out hogs. This was in southeast OK where bear hunting is over managed, and no modern firearms are allowed. Only archery and black powder rifles. Too many black bears can be worse than no black bears. The hunters, farmers, ranchers ,etc are trying to get the OK game management to allow modern rifles as this will increase the number of hunters and the effectiveness of the hunters and reduce the number of bears to a more manageable number. Lots of Texas gun hunters would drive up to OK for bear hunting whereas only a comparatively few archery hunters will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross