Black Bear bow hunt

Synergy

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI (Chile chapter)
Hi Friends

Any good outfitter for Black Bear hunting (bow)? (I'm from Chile)

Thanks

There are plenty.
Where do you want to hunt?

Thanks Phoenix Phill

Brickburn
I don't know, USA or Canada
I'm not serching for an impressive trohpy, just the experience to hunt a bear. (i've only have seen bears on photos :LOL:)

In the US the state of Maine in the east and probably Idaho or Wyoming in the west are some of the better options. I have done two hunts with Shepard Hunting Company of Patten, Maine- not bow hunts- and had good experiences. They are also one of a very few who offer Spring bait hunts on the Penobscot Indian Lands in Maine. I've been told the very best black bear hunting over bait is probably an outfitter who specializes in Spring bear in remote portions of Alberta, Canada. Prince of Wales Island in Alaska is also famous for spot and stalk hunting along the beaches in the Spring. As Brickburn said lots of options...

Good hunts are available in Idaho as well.

Idaho was the first western state I mentioned.

So you did! Member of my SCI chapter and his son both took nice blacks in that state. However, I like the idea of hunting over bait for them as you describe in Maine.

I hound hunted in Maine which I think is very active and exciting. The houndsmen and bowhunters are leery of one another though. Houndsmen want bears dead immediately due to the danger to the dogs and tend to shoot any live bears in the head with some sort of hand cannon! Archers tend not to want other folks shooting their bears with handguns! I used a rifle so it wasn't an issue though all four bear kills I've been in on the bears got shot more than once. I'll get a hunt report posted soon, I swear. I'm seriously thinking about a Spring bait hunt with the Penobscots, though. It's mating season then and chances at a really big boar are good.

Idaho is attractive to me because of the opportunity at multiple color phase bears spot-and-stalk, over bait, or with hounds depending on the unit, outfitter, and your preference. It can also be done pretty inexpensively all things considered.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks Brickburn!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg