Birmingham Majestic & Mauser 66

Big Country

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
United States, Canada, KZN South Africa
I have an opportunity to purchase 2 rifles that I know little about and frankly couldn't find a ton of information on. A fellow passed on that unbeknownst to me had a collection of oddball rifles, such as 348 Winchesters, 350 Remingtons, etc. As part of this there are two guns that caught my eye.

The first is a Birmingham Small Arms Company bolt gun in 458 Winchester Magnum. It doesn't seem to have a model on it. The only model I could find that was produced in that caliber was the Majestic. This rifle was presumably purchased by a hunter in the 60's and been hunted and shot a few times over the years. It does not seem to have the severe wear that you might expect of an old service rifle from Africa or Asia. Thoughts?

The second is a Mauser model 66. It is stamped 375 H.u.H other than its age being somewhere in the middle 60's for manufacture and the fact that it is a take down interchangeable barrel rifle, I don't know alot about these models.

Both look to be in remarkably good shape fro rifles made i the mid 60's. The owner was a reloader and a shooter more than a collector. No safe queens. Both rifles had scopes mounted and slight mods to the stocks.

I am looking for any knowledgeable folks here to weigh in on the good, the bad, and the ugly as far as these two models. I have never seen another of either of these here in the midwest. Please share wht you know and help me make an informed decision.

I will upload some photos if I can sort that out...

Thanks all!

Big Country

Any thoughts folks?

I have both a BSA Majestic and a Mauser 66, both are good rifles. The Mauser is a bit of a oddball action but seem accurate and I haven't had any issues with it. BSA made very good working rifles. Mine is in 270 and I've had it since 1970 and have taken a lot of game with it.

I suprised that you seem to have stumped the group here with these rifles. It sounds like a very unique find.

The Mauser 66 was one of the first of the new generation "short actions" utilizing a straight pull and having the option for multiple barrels and calibers. They never caught on in the States, but every single one I have ever handled had a silky smooth action and reputation for accuracy. We carried some of the first in our Rod & Gun in Germany back in the day, and a German friend had a Luxus version with lots of engraving in, I believe, 7x64. Many seem to be equipped from the factory with a version of the EAW Schwenkmontage detachable scope mounts. They are generally considered a hugely undervalued rifle by the consigliere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!