Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Best bino for around $1,000 for all around hunting. All 10x42

1. Leica trinovid
2. Zeiss conquest
3. Leupold
4. Vortex razor

leaning heavily toward the Leica. Wanted to get some input before I make the purchase and have not had the chance to look through them all yet.

When it comes to glass unfortunately the most expensive is the best. Of your list the Leica would be my choice.

If you can find a pair of Meopta Meostars in 10x42, take a hard look. They were branded as Cabela’s Euro Optics for 1k. They were closing them out this summer, not sure if any are around. Worth a look. If none are around the Meopta branded ones are 1.3k ish new and are right there with Swarovski SLC’s to many eyes. Otherwise off your list probably 1 or 2. Guessing the Razors are HD and not UHD based on price range and not clear which Leupold’s.

I would take Leupold binoculars off your list. Their scopes are made in USA but binoculars are made in China. I’m a big fan of Maven B series binoculars. They are assembled in USA with Japanese parts. Leicas are superior but I’ve thought they were better than Swarovski binoculars, for the price they are unbeatable.

I can only speak with experience on the Zeiss Conquest. I would choose those with the Leica as top two on your list. Wouldn't consider the other two brands.

Which Leica Trinovid’s? If you can pick up (used) the model prior to the new HD, that would be the best. Leica also makes a classic Trinovid, that would also be a great choice.

I would skip the leupolds as well. I've made it known that I'm a big fan of Vortex. While some of the cheaper items have been moved out of Japan, the Razor is still made there. The Leica's are made in Portugal - which to me I'd probably rather have a Japanese made item. Zeiss are made in Germany.

If you are buying online, I'd go with Zeiss. If you can find a store, test all 3 out. IMO binocular fit is different for each person - not a big deal for occasional use through the day but something you want if you are glassing for hours.

If you can find a pair of Meopta Meostars in 10x42, take a hard look. They were branded as Cabela’s Euro Optics for 1k. They were closing them out this summer, not sure if any are around. Worth a look. If none are around the Meopta branded ones are 1.3k ish new and are right there with Swarovski SLC’s to many eyes. Otherwise off your list probably 1 or 2. Guessing the Razors are HD and not UHD based on price range and not clear which Leupold’s.

I have a Meostars 8x40 or 42, they are not as good as Swaros, but they are really excellent. You get ton for the money. I took them to Alaska for a non-hunting vacation a couple years ago, they worked very well.

Same for Athlon, they aren't Swaro or Leica, but for 1/3 the cost, I would say they work for 95% of what you would likely use them for.

One thing that I have always wondered about Vortex is just how many optics get sent back into them where it is profitable for a company to offer refurbished Vortex optics.

I have a couple of Vortex products, a Razor spotting scope and rangefinder but sometimes I wonder.

I have also had zero problems with Leopold except for one pair of binoculars that I sent back in to get the pivot tightened back up. They also lost the serial number sticker so Leopold just sent me a new pair.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 12.15.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 12.15.02 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 12.15.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 12.15.03 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
I've looked through all the ones you are looking at. Highly recommend the Leica Trinovid 10x42 or the Zeiss Conquest 10x42 over the others. Admittedly I'm a huge fan of Leica and currently own 2 sets, but both of these are a quality piece of kit that you are not likely to outgrow. If anything, this purchase will likely influence you when looking at a set of rangefinder binos. Good luck with it.

Top tier

We all have our brand loyalties, but, factually, there is little to choose from between the three top offerings. All are outstanding:
  • Swarovski EL 10x42 - 90% light transmission - $2,443
  • Leica Noctivid 10x42 - 91% light transmission - $2,849
  • ZEISS Victory SF 10x42 - 92% light transmission - $2,700
www.swarovskioptik.com

EL 10x42 W B - Swarovski Optik

1640748303396.png

Leica Noctivid 10 x 42 Green

1640748368005.png

ZEISS Victory SF 10x42

Will you distinguish 92% light transmission from 91% or 90% in full sunlight? The plain answer is "no". Only lab instruments can. Will 2% make a difference in the first 15 minutes of light at dawn, and the last 15 minutes of light at dusk? Maybe, but I doubt whether it will be significant.

Note that Swarovski also offers the NL 10x42 - 91% light transmission - $3,366, but is it worth to spend an additional $923 to gain 1% light transmission over the EL 10x42? Each can answer for their own...

1640748516114.png

NL Pure 10x42 - Swarovski Optik

I hate to say, and this is not bashing, but, factually, anything else, whether American, European or Asian, and including Leupold, Minox, Vortex, Nikon, etc. is inferior to the Big 3: Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica top tier. This is a fact.

Second tier

This being said, do you need 91 or 92% light transmission to glass game effectively? Heck no! The Zeiss 10x40 BG/A T* introduced in 1979 that many of us still like so much transmit 80% light, and yes, I can see a difference if I go back & forth between them and my 2020 Leica 10x42 HD, but I pain to make the difference.

1640750287818.png

For info, the difference does come a little bit from the glass composition and the polishing of the lenses, but where progress has happened by leaps and bounds is in the composition and vapor deposition of the coatings...

This further comforts me in not caring much about 1% or 2% more or less light transmission between the Big 3, if I can barely see a 10% difference...

Leica Trinovid 10 x 42 HD 90% light transmission $999
ZEISS Conquest HD 10x42 90% light transmission $999

1640749891745.png

Leica Trinovid 10 x 42 HD

1640749946905.png

ZEISS Conquest HD 10x42

So, here there a difference between a Leica Trinovid and a Leica Noctivid, and between a Zeiss Victory and a Zeiss Conquest? Yes there is. Something like an additional 1% or 2% light transmission, and also most likely a difference in internal construction (metal vs. plastic etc.). Is it worth doubling the price, or going to a Swaro that only offers top tier binos? Each will make this judgment for their own...

Last edited:
Top tier

We all have our brand loyalties, but, factually, there is little to choose from between the three top offerings. All are outstanding:
www.swarovskioptik.com

View attachment 444037

View attachment 444038

ZEISS Victory SF 10x42

Will you distinguish 92% light transmission from 91% or 90% in full sunlight? The plain answer is "no". Only lab instruments can. Will 2% make a difference in the first 15 minutes of light at dawn, and the last 15 minutes of light at dusk? Maybe, but I doubt whether it will be significant.

Note that Swarovski also offers the NL 10x42 - 91% light transmission - $3,366, but is it worth to spend an additional $923 to gain 1% light transmission over the EL 10x42? Each can answer for their own...

View attachment 444039

I hate to say, and this is not bashing, but, factually, anything else, whether American, European or Asian, and including Leupold, Minox, Vortex, Nikon, etc. is inferior to the Big 3: Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica top tier. This is a fact.

Second tier

This being said, do you need 91 or 92% light transmission to glass game effectively? Heck no! The Zeiss 10x40 BG/A T* introduced in 1979 that many of us still like so much transmit 80% light, and yes, I can see a difference if I go back & forth between them and my 2020 Leica 10x42 HD, but I pain to make the difference.

View attachment 444048

For info, the difference does come a little bit from the glass composition and the polishing of the lenses, but where progress has happened by leaps and bounds is in the composition and vapor deposition of the coatings...

This further comforts me in not caring much about 1% or 2% more or less light transmission between the Big 3, if I can barely see a 10% difference...

View attachment 444046

View attachment 444047

ZEISS Conquest HD 10x42

So, here there a difference between a Leica Trinovid and a Leica Noctivid, and between a Zeiss Victory and a Zeiss Conquest? Yes there is. Something like an additional 1% or 2% light transmission, and also most likely a difference in internal construction (metal vs. plastic etc.). Is it worth doubling the price, or going to a Swaro that only offers top tier binos? Each will make this judgment for their own...
I REALLY like your detailed analysis of these binoculars and especially when you list the comparable price points. I must stay with my Leupolds to be within my budget, but so often times I see "higher end" items here discussed with no analysis and no price points. I like to see these comparisons and prices without regard to the "name brand" of the item(s) in question. Thanks!

My pleasure CoElkHunter :)

If a recommendation is needed for Wiley64, and knowing well Swarovski (I own 8x30 SLC and 15x56 SLC), Zeiss (I own 10x40 BGA and a good friend owns 10x42 Conquest HD), Leica (I own Geovid 10x42 HD and Trinovid 8x32 HD), Vortex (my sons own 10x42 Viper HD and 15x56 Vulture HD), Leupold (a close friend owns 10x42 BX4 HD), I will recommend the Leica Trinovid.

Admittedly the Vortex Razor (a friend owns a pair) is better than the Viper my sons own, but Vortex has too many issues with the mechanical manufacturing aspect of making reliable binocs. For example, my son's 15x56 do not stay fully in collimation as the focus ring is moved.

Admittedly too, the Leupold BX5 is better than the BX4 I know, but Leupold glass is simply not in the same class as Leica glass.

Steiner (I own 20x80 M2080 Military), Minox, Meopta, Docter/Noblex, Optolyth, Kahles, etc. all make good products, but for the comparatively small price difference with the Leica Trinovid, I personally think that it is worth making the incremental financial effort.

As to Blaser, who acquired Minox and promptly re-branded some of their offering and doubled their price to achieve the Blaser top brand image, I am not sure what they offer to justify pricing equivalent to top tier Swaro, Leica or Zeiss...

Suffice to say, for myself, that when I came back from elephant hunting this summer, where the Swaro 8x30 SLC I gave to my wife proved very much more convenient than my Leica Geovid 10x42, and I re-bought a pair of 8x32 for myself, I ordered the Trinovid...

Last edited:
My pleasure CoElkHunter :)

If a recommendation is needed for Wiley64, and knowing well Swarovski (I own 8x30 SLC and 15x56 SLC), Zeiss (I own 10x40 BGA and a good friend owns 10x42 Conquest HD), Leica (I own Geovid 10x42 HD and Trinovid 8x32 HD), Vortex (my sons own 10x42 Viper HD and 15x56 Vulture HD), Leupold (a close friend owns 10x42 BX4 HD), I will recommend the Leica Trinovid.

Admittedly the Vortex Razor (a friend owns a pair) is better than the Viper my sons own, but Vortex has too many issues with the mechanical manufacturing aspect of making reliable binocs. For example, my son's 15x56 do not stay fully in collimation as the focus ring is moved.

Admittedly too, the Leupold BX5 is better than the BX4 I know, but Leupold glass is simply not in the same class as Leica glass.

Steiner (I own 20x80 M2080 Military), Minox, Meopta, Docter/Noblex, Optolyth, Kahles, etc. all make good products, but for the comparatively small price difference with the Leica Trinovid, I personally think that it is worth making the incremental financial effort.

As to Blaser, who acquired Minox and promptly re-branded some of their offering and doubled their price to achieve the Blaser top brand image, I am not sure what they offer to justify pricing equivalent to top tier Swaro, Leica or Zeiss...

Suffice to say, for myself, that when I came back from elephant hunting this summer, where the Swaro 8x30 SLC I gave to my wife proved very much more convenient than my Leica Geovid 10x42, and I re-bought a pair of 8x32 for myself, I ordered the Trinovid...
Top tier
www.swarovskioptik.com

View attachment 444037

View attachment 444038

ZEISS Victory SF 10x42

View attachment 444039

Second tier

View attachment 444048

View attachment 444046

View attachment 444047

ZEISS Conquest HD 10x42

This was extremely helpful- thank you!

Blaser did not rebadge Minox product nor do they make Blaser products. Blaser purchased from S&B the equipment to make their own product.

Last edited:
I’m a huge fan of my vortex razors, can be had for around that price if you look around. I’ve never looked through the others binos mentioned so thats my bias opinion on what I own. Good binos though
12x50 power

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.