Bill McMillan - 98 Day 1947 Safari

I too have spent time in Bill's trophy room when it was still in Lubbock (my home town) it is awe inspiring to say the least .
My step father was a trim contractor and was hired to remodel this room back when I was a teenager ....I skipped school to go help just to be closed to my version of heaven on Earth .
I haven't checked lately , but the shoulder mount elephant was moved to the
Texas Tech museum before the move to New Mexico ... I suppose it is still there.

I too have spent time in Bill's trophy room when it was still in Lubbock (my home town) it is awe inspiring to say the least .
My step father was a trim contractor and was hired to remodel this room back when I was a teenager ....I skipped school to go help just to be closed to my version of heaven on Earth .
I haven't checked lately , but the shoulder mount elephant was moved to the
Texas Tech museum before the move to New Mexico ... I suppose it is still there.

I always wondered what happened to the elephant and didn't know it went to Tech. Thanks for sharing that!

Looking back I can't believe we didn't take pictures of that room as my parents were camera people even back then....

I am new to this site and am just now seeing this. Bill McMillan is my grandfather and is indeed still alive - and his hunting stories are as legendary as everyone remembers! He has 16,000 ft of 8mm film - in color, with sound - from his 1947 trip. We recently transferred it to a DVD. The animals are amazing. Thank you for sharing this article. In addition to being an excellent hunter and conservationist, Granddad is an honorable, thoughtful and kind man. Very proud of him!

I am new to this site and am just now seeing this. Bill McMillan is my grandfather and is indeed still alive - and his hunting stories are as legendary as everyone remembers! He has 16,000 ft of 8mm film - in color, with sound - from his 1947 trip. We recently transferred it to a DVD. The animals are amazing. Thank you for sharing this article. In addition to being an excellent hunter and conservationist, Granddad is an honorable, thoughtful and kind man. Very proud of him!

How very cool!!!

I will send you a PM. Those films would be the ones my father went to watch as a small boy. He will be thrilled to know they still exist.

Like I said earlier in the thread I think, somewhere there is a picture of me and my two sisters sitting on the back of the lion (not sure if the lion was shot by your grandfather or great grandfather) with your great grandmother standing beside us. This was taken in the utility/laundry room as I recall, and not the main trophy room.

Very special memories for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend, Bill McMillan, passed away yesterday, July 3, 2020, at the age of 93. Few men have had the experiences he had or saw as much of the world as he did. A real "original" in the truest sense of the word!

My friend, Bill McMillan, passed away yesterday, July 3, 2020, at the age of 93. Few men have had the experiences he had or saw as much of the world as he did. A real "original" in the truest sense of the word!

Very sad to hear. Prayers.....

I will pass along to my parents as they will want to know. Thank you.

Reactions: WAB
These characters, stories and reminiscences are what make AH so much fun to cruise. To see folks connected through common passion, or even kinship is so cool. I love these posts and the dreams they inspire, even in old age. I am not envious, but so glad to be able to read of this gentleman’s conquest. What a blessing to share. Thanks to @Royal27, @MeridethHHoward and @Steve Lackey who shared of Bill’s life story. Blessings to the family and RIP.

R.I.P.

Reactions: WAB
I had to check and see if this was the McMillan of McMillan stocks (it isn't, that was Gale McMillan). He did that 1947 safari when he was 20 years old, with his parents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MariWalsta

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross