Bill McMillan - 98 Day 1947 Safari

Discussion in 'Legends Of Big Game Hunting' started by Royal27, Aug 4, 2017.

1. TXHUNTER338

TXHUNTER338 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI, RMEF, DU
    Hunted:
    USA , South Africa , Alaska , Canada
    I too have spent time in Bill's trophy room when it was still in Lubbock (my home town) it is awe inspiring to say the least .
    My step father was a trim contractor and was hired to remodel this room back when I was a teenager ....I skipped school to go help just to be closed to my version of heaven on Earth .
    I haven't checked lately , but the shoulder mount elephant was moved to the
    Texas Tech museum before the move to New Mexico ... I suppose it is still there.

Royal27 likes this.

2. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
    I always wondered what happened to the elephant and didn't know it went to Tech. Thanks for sharing that!

Looking back I can't believe we didn't take pictures of that room as my parents were camera people even back then....

3. MeredithHHoward

MeredithHHoward New Member

I am new to this site and am just now seeing this. Bill McMillan is my grandfather and is indeed still alive - and his hunting stories are as legendary as everyone remembers! He has 16,000 ft of 8mm film - in color, with sound - from his 1947 trip. We recently transferred it to a DVD. The animals are amazing. Thank you for sharing this article. In addition to being an excellent hunter and conservationist, Granddad is an honorable, thoughtful and kind man. Very proud of him!

4. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Anyone want to share some of that footage onto Youtube to share with us here?!

5. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
    How very cool!!!

I will send you a PM. Those films would be the ones my father went to watch as a small boy. He will be thrilled to know they still exist.

Like I said earlier in the thread I think, somewhere there is a picture of me and my two sisters sitting on the back of the lion (not sure if the lion was shot by your grandfather or great grandfather) with your great grandmother standing beside us. This was taken in the utility/laundry room as I recall, and not the main trophy room.

Very special memories for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2018
    Wheels and IdaRam like this.