Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
When I was a small boy I had two separate influences that put Africa, and hunting Africa, into my heart and mind. One was a friend of my father's and the other was the McMillan family.

The McMillans were family friends of my grandparents going back to before the hunt in 1947. Dad told me that he remembered going to see a public slide show of the hunt as a small boy in lubbock.

I never met Mr. McMillan or his father, but saw the amazing trophy room and was told many stories as a small boy by Mrs. McMillan (Bill's mother). Somewhere at my parents house is a picture of me and my two sisters on the back of one of the Lions from this hunt. Which ironically was in a utility room as the actual massive trophy room was too full of everything else.

I remember the two rhinos and the elephant tusks, both sets which were over 100 lbs per side. There was also a massive fireplace in that room that was flanked by two display cases. One of which was full of bird eggs and the other of arrow heads. This safari was truly a "mini Roosevelt" safari.

There were animals from other trips as well, including a tiger and even a bald eagle taken long, long ago. There was a shoulder mount of one of the elephants of course. But my mother's favorite animal of all? The tiny dik dik that was displayed near that massive fireplace. Some of you may have seen me mention that I want a Dik Dik and that I will have it mounted and give it to my mother. Well, this is why.

I believe Bill McMillan is still alive, but don't know how to get in touch with him and just found this article today. I will see if I can find the friend mentioned in the article as I'd love to see the video of the stories.

I hope y'all enjoy the article and are as amazed at this trip as a small boy was while walking through a trophy room some 40 odd years ago.

Source: http://lubbockonline.com/local-news/2012-03-13/mcmillan-honored-lifetime-achievement-afield

Posted March 13, 2012 10:25 am - Updated March 14, 2012 12:39 am
By LOGAN G. CARVER
AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

McMillan honored for lifetime achievement afield

Lifetime Achievement award

10995571.jpg

Bill McMillan was honored with a lifetime achievement award from Lubbock Safari Club International. McMillan has hunted around the world and has several memories gracing the interior of his office in Lubbock. (Zach Long)

10995570.jpg

Bill McMillan was honored with a lifetime achievement award from Lubbock Safari Club International. McMillan has hunted around the world and has several memories gracing the interior of his office in Lubbock. (Zach Long)

Few men have seen what Bill McMillan has seen in his lifetime. None ever will again.

W.G. “Bill” McMillan saw during his big-game hunting adventures pristine habitat on multiple continents — much of which has drastically changed since McMillan’s eyes fell upon it.

His 1947 African safari took him to what was then British East Africa, modern-day Kenya and Tanzania, where he cut through 9-foot-tall grass in land virtually untouched by white men.

Much of the area McMillan hunted during that trip is closed to hunting now.

From the plains of Africa to the jungles of the Amazon to the Alaskan tundra, McMillan has amassed an encyclopedia of memories in the field, and for that he has been honored by the Lubbock chapter of Safari Club International with its Lifetime Achievement award.

“(The award) recognizes the experiences — the romance — of big campfires, of a hot cup of coffee in the morning, a beautiful sunrise and fantastic sunset,” McMillan said. “You will have sore feet, cold feet and a dry stomach.”

SCI President Barry Cowart said the award goes to someone who has been successful in his vocational business and is also a longtime hunter.

In McMillan, hunting enthusiasts have a link to a period in history that for most people only e xists in books, Cowart said.

“All we can do is read about those types of hunts, and to find an individual who experienced Old Africa on that type of a hunting safari is — we’re almost beyond being able to find people who were able to go on those types of trips.”

The 1947 safari revealed
Sitting under a mounted Cape Buffalo in his Lubbock office, McMillan, who turns 85 next month, recalls details of that legendary 1947 safari like it was yesterday.

The McMillan family spent four months in British East Africa.

They traveled more than 5,000 miles and camped out for 98 days.

“You can not imagine travel in Africa 65 years ago,” McMillan said. “It was back in there where a lot of people had never seen white men.”

They cut their way through the bush and often had to cut down trees to lay across rivers so the vehicles could cross.

They burned the grass behind them so no one could follow them, McMillan said.

He saw an Africa few people were fortunate enough to see. He once viewed 100,000 animals at one time.

“You cannot imagine 100,000,” he said. “I would see elephants, rhino, buffalo, cape buffalo and lion in one sight.”

It was during that safari that McMillan killed the coveted “Big Five.”

The elephant, rhino, cape buffalo, lion and leopard are the most dangerous African game animals, and to bag all five in a lifetime, let alone one trip, is a “Holy Grail” of African big game hunting.

Modern hunting restrictions make collecting the “Big Five” nearly impossible as it is outrageously cost-prohibitive.

In total, the expedition collected two elephants, two black rhino, two Cape buffalo, two lions and two leopards, as well as 73 plains animals.

That hunt was one of a kind, Cowart said.

“That’s historical,” he said. “We couldn’t come back and duplicate that hunt today, if you had enough money and time and energy to try to do it — that’s historical.”

The jaguar hunt
Not all of McMillan’s hunts were as successful as the 1947 expedition.

In 1969, he went on a jaguar hunt with a rookie guide. The guide had lied to McMillan, and McMillan didn’t know the man had never hunted.

They traveled the Napo river into hostile native territory — where natives had killed missionaries the decade before.

They were in near-impenetrable jungle in dangerous territory, and there were no jaguar.

McMillan cut the trip short and traveled around the clock — 24 hours straight back up the river.

He said navigating the river in the dark was one of the scariest things he’s ever done.

A wrong move on that river, rife with whirlpools and piranhas, in a 50-foot canoe with a 40-horsepower motor would almost certainly be his last.

“We had to listen to the rapids, where they were, cause we couldn’t see them,” he said.

The cobra scare
Then there was the spitting cobra in Africa.

The snake spit at McMillan’s father, W.G. McMillan Sr., and then sought cover under a rock.

The McMillans used a winch to lift the rock and when the snake came out aimed at the senior McMillan, young Bill McMillan opened fire with a 12-gauge shotgun.

“That cobra shot out at him, and I killed it and didn’t even know it,” McMillan said. “I didn’t even remember shooting.”

The Alaskan bear hunt
After killing a brown bear in Alaska, McMillan was on a small plane that landed in total darkness.

An assistant guide shined a flashlight on Dog Salmon Creek and the pilot landed the plane.

The tail hit a tree as they landed.

“Believe me, that will scare the ---- out of you,” McMillan says with a laugh not quite masking the gravity of the situation.

Of trophies and tales
For years, McMillan kept his trophy mounts in Lubbock, but he moved them to his house in Ruidoso, N.M., several years ago.

McMillan’s friend Dan Howard said the display of animals is a sight to behold.

“It’s just unbelievable,” he said. “It’s like a museum.”

One weekend, Howard sat down and turned a video camera on McMillan at the Ruidoso house.

With amazing detail, McMillan went from animal to animal and described the corresponding hunt — kind of an oral history of international hunting.

“I knew if something ever happened to him, that’d be lost,” Howard said.

McMillan could look at a mounted animal and recall where the hunt was, who was on it, what cartridge was used and so on.

“It was unbelievable the detail he remembered about each one of those heads and the hunt it was on,” Howard said.

Howard said McMillan’s hunting prowess is still as sharp as his memory.

When hunting with McMillan, fellow hunters better be on their game because McMillan is quick on the draw and accurate, Howard said.

“He’s quite a shot,” he said. “If he gets the first shot, well you never do get a shot because he’s such a good shot.”

McMillan is a great hunter and somewhat of a living legend, but he’s also a great friend and all-around good guy, Howard said.

“He’s just a thoughtful kind of person — just a super guy,” he said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow! What a dream safari that would be for so many of us!

Holy cow! What a dream safari that would be for so many of us!

Or all of us?

I wonder how many men are left alive that had an experience similar to this?

Last edited:
More memories are coming back as I reminisce about that trophy room.

There was a rolled up snake skin, an anaconda, in a cabinet. Mrs. McMillan took it out and unrolled it for me. You could see the bullet holes in it. I don't remember the length she told me, but as I recall it was between 16 and 18 feet? I do remember being disappointed it wasn't 20 feet long.

I also seem to recall it was shot by the son, which would be Bill of course. I wonder if it was from that 1969 Jaguar hunt? It probably would have been 1974 or so when I saw the skin.

Such a cool story:) That was at a time when a hunt last months, not just days or a week or two like it does now. Bill may have hunted for 98 days but I bet he was away from home for almost 6 months with steamship travel and all. And then to get all the trophy's back preserved successfully and mounted is incredible.
I remember lots of stories about Canadian sheep/caribou/bear hunts on horseback taking all summer. Good times!

When I was a small boy I had two separate influences that put Africa, and hunting Africa, into my heart and mind. One was a friend of my father's and the other was the McMillan family.

The McMillans were family friends of my grandparents going back to before the hunt in 1947. Dad told me that he remembered going to see a public slide show of the hunt as a small boy in lubbock.

I never met Mr. McMillan or his father, but saw the amazing trophy room and was told many stories as a small boy by Mrs. McMillan (Bill's mother). Somewhere at my parents house is a picture of me and my two sisters on the back of one of the Lions from this hunt. Which ironically was in a utility room as the actual massive trophy room was too full of everything else.

I remember the two rhinos and the elephant tusks, both sets which were over 100 lbs per side. There was also a massive fireplace in that room that was flanked by two display cases. One of which was full of bird eggs and the other of arrow heads. This safari was truly a "mini Roosevelt" safari.

There were animals from other trips as well, including a tiger and even a bald eagle taken long, long ago. There was a shoulder mount of one of the elephants of course. But my mother's favorite animal of all? The tiny dik dik that was displayed near that massive fireplace. Some of you may have seen me mention that I want a Dik Dik and that I will have it mounted and give it to my mother. Well, this is why.

I believe Bill McMillan is still alive, but don't know how to get in touch with him and just found this article today. I will see if I can find the friend mentioned in the article as I'd love to see the video of the stories.

I hope y'all enjoy the article and are as amazed at this trip as a small boy was while walking through a trophy room some 40 odd years ago.

http://lubbockonline.com/local-news/2012-03-13/mcmillan-honored-lifetime-achievement-afield

Posted March 13, 2012 10:25 am - Updated March 14, 2012 12:39 am
By
LOGAN G. CARVER
AVALANCHE-JOURNAL
McMillan honored for lifetime achievement afield
10995571.jpg

10995570.jpg

Few men have seen what Bill McMillan has seen in his lifetime. None ever will again.

W.G. “Bill” McMillan saw during his big-game hunting adventures pristine habitat on multiple continents — much of which has drastically changed since McMillan’s eyes fell upon it.

His 1947 African safari took him to what was then British East Africa, modern-day Kenya and Tanzania, where he cut through 9-foot-tall grass in land virtually untouched by white men.

Much of the area McMillan hunted during that trip is closed to hunting now.

From the plains of Africa to the jungles of the Amazon to the Alaskan tundra, McMillan has amassed an encyclopedia of memories in the field, and for that he has been honored by the Lubbock chapter of Safari Club International with its Lifetime Achievement award.

“(The award) recognizes the experiences — the romance — of big campfires, of a hot cup of coffee in the morning, a beautiful sunrise and fantastic sunset,” McMillan said. “You will have sore feet, cold feet and a dry stomach.”

SCI President Barry Cowart said the award goes to someone who has been successful in his vocational business and is also a longtime hunter.

In McMillan, hunting enthusiasts have a link to a period in history that for most people only e xists in books, Cowart said.

“All we can do is read about those types of hunts, and to find an individual who experienced Old Africa on that type of a hunting safari is — we’re almost beyond being able to find people who were able to go on those types of trips.”

The 1947 safari
revealed

Sitting under a mounted Cape Buffalo in his Lubbock office, McMillan, who turns 85 next month, recalls details of that legendary 1947 safari like it was yesterday.

The McMillan family spent four months in British East Africa.

They traveled more than 5,000 miles and camped out for 98 days.

“You can not imagine travel in Africa 65 years ago,” McMillan said. “It was back in there where a lot of people had never seen white men.”

They cut their way through the bush and often had to cut down trees to lay across rivers so the vehicles could cross.

They burned the grass behind them so no one could follow them, McMillan said.

He saw an Africa few people were fortunate enough to see. He once viewed 100,000 animals at one time.

“You cannot imagine 100,000,” he said. “I would see elephants, rhino, buffalo, cape buffalo and lion in one sight.”

It was during that safari that McMillan killed the coveted “Big Five.”

The elephant, rhino, cape buffalo, lion and leopard are the most dangerous African game animals, and to bag all five in a lifetime, let alone one trip, is a “Holy Grail” of African big game hunting.

Modern hunting restrictions make collecting the “Big Five” nearly impossible as it is outrageously cost-prohibitive.

In total, the expedition collected two elephants, two black rhino, two Cape buffalo, two lions and two leopards, as well as 73 plains animals.

That hunt was one of a kind, Cowart said.

“That’s historical,” he said. “We couldn’t come back and duplicate that hunt today, if you had enough money and time and energy to try to do it — that’s historical.”

The jaguar hunt

Not all of McMillan’s hunts were as successful as the 1947 expedition.

In 1969, he went on a jaguar hunt with a rookie guide. The guide had lied to McMillan, and McMillan didn’t know the man had never hunted.

They traveled the Napo river into hostile native territory — where natives had killed missionaries the decade before.

They were in near-impenetrable jungle in dangerous territory, and there were no jaguar.

McMillan cut the trip short and traveled around the clock — 24 hours straight back up the river.

He said navigating the river in the dark was one of the scariest things he’s ever done.

A wrong move on that river, rife with whirlpools and piranhas, in a 50-foot canoe with a 40-horsepower motor would almost certainly be his last.

“We had to listen to the rapids, where they were, cause we couldn’t see them,” he said.

The cobra scare

Then there was the spitting cobra in Africa.

The snake spit at McMillan’s father, W.G. McMillan Sr., and then sought cover under a rock.

The McMillans used a winch to lift the rock and when the snake came out aimed at the senior McMillan, young Bill McMillan opened fire with a 12-gauge shotgun.

“That cobra shot out at him, and I killed it and didn’t even know it,” McMillan said. “I didn’t even remember shooting.”

The Alaskan bear hunt

After killing a brown bear in Alaska, McMillan was on a small plane that landed in total darkness.

An assistant guide shined a flashlight on Dog Salmon Creek and the pilot landed the plane.

The tail hit a tree as they landed.

“Believe me, that will scare the ---- out of you,” McMillan says with a laugh not quite masking the gravity of the situation.

Of trophies and tales

For years, McMillan kept his trophy mounts in Lubbock, but he moved them to his house in Ruidoso, N.M., several years ago.

McMillan’s friend Dan Howard said the display of animals is a sight to behold.

“It’s just unbelievable,” he said. “It’s like a museum.”

One weekend, Howard sat down and turned a video camera on McMillan at the Ruidoso house.

With amazing detail, McMillan went from animal to animal and described the corresponding hunt — kind of an oral history of international hunting.

“I knew if something ever happened to him, that’d be lost,” Howard said.

McMillan could look at a mounted animal and recall where the hunt was, who was on it, what cartridge was used and so on.

“It was unbelievable the detail he remembered about each one of those heads and the hunt it was on,” Howard said.

Howard said McMillan’s hunting prowess is still as sharp as his memory.

When hunting with McMillan, fellow hunters better be on their game because McMillan is quick on the draw and accurate, Howard said.

“He’s quite a shot,” he said. “If he gets the first shot, well you never do get a shot because he’s such a good shot.”

McMillan is a great hunter and somewhat of a living legend, but he’s also a great friend and all-around good guy, Howard said.

“He’s just a thoughtful kind of person — just a super guy,” he said.

What a great life. Would be fantastic to undertake such a safari now.
Oh well, back to dreaming.

Thanks for posting, quite incredible! A great memory for you too. Good luck getting in touch with him.

This is a great story. I have collected a lot of stories to read in my old (er) age. I am thankful to have stepped into this river so I can imagine some of the history. Good luck in your search.

Thanks for posting! That is a really neat history of what sounds like a very interesting man.

Quite a great story. Those big Safaris back in the day must have been amazing.

Just noticed this thread from the mention of the other thread.

Really neat. Thanks for posting.

Just noticed this thread from the mention of the other thread.

Really neat. Thanks for posting.

It was one of those things that impact the rest of life, how you think, amd who you are.

I'm only now realizing what an impact that Trophy room truly had on me.

It was one of those things that impact the rest of life, how you think, amd who you are.

I'm only now realizing what an impact that Trophy room truly had on me.

Seeing a trophy room when you are a kid can be very enlightening. There are animals you never knew existed. Glad it had such a positive impact on you.

Another memory....

One of the black rhinos, I believe taken by Bill's father, was shot as it charged, and ended up dead at a range of six feet.

I remember thinking what kind of an amazing shot you'd have to be to stop that rhino. Now that I'm grown and have an even better understanding I realize that as a small boy I was 100% correct in my thinking!

Another memory....

One of the black rhinos, I believe taken by Bill's father, was shot as it charged, and ended up dead at a range of six feet.

I remember thinking what kind of an amazing shot you'd have to be to stop that rhino. Now that I'm grown and have an even better understanding I realize that as a small boy I was 100% correct in my thinking!

Was there a hole through the horns?

Was there a hole through the horns?

:A Banana Sad:

Not that I recall!

And realize this is a 40+ year old memory from a story told to a small boy, but it is the story as I remember it.

aah,to have health,money,and youth,what i would do different,no real complaints though.

He got to do that at age 20...... Lucky bastard!!!!

My dad always said I born too late.... Something like that would of been fantastic. Oh well. Just have to do what I can with the time and $$ I do have. Fun to see how some did it in the past. Quite a trip to do so much....
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross