Biggest Leopards in Africa??

Shakka

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA SCI
Hunted
Namibia Zimbabwe
I'll start off here with my first post;) to get your opinions on where one has the best opportunity to kill the biggest Leopards on the continent.

I killed a smallish male 10 years ago so in 2020 I would like to go back for a monster or nothing.

Zambia is expensive and seems to have the best success rate but not the best reputation for genetically big cats.

Tanzania is way out of my budget and isn't a consideration.

South Africa/Limpopo isn't issuing permits.

Namibia gets some big ones but success rate seems low compared to other places.

That leaves Zimbabwe which seems to have big cats, decent prices, and good success rates.

With a reputable cat hunter, what do you guys make of this??

Thanks!

LIMPOPO BIG GAME SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2019
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.lbgsafaris.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa Zimbabwe Mozambique
Everything you said and mentioned is spot on.

Unfortunately South Africa does not issue any permits at the moment, so a chance at a huge cat in the Soutpansberg is not possible.

My best advice for a big Leopard in an issuing country with a reputable outfit would be Sandy and Alexander McDonald of McDonald Safaris.
They hunt Mozambique and their concessions are adjacent to Kruger Park. Each year they take exceptionally big Leopards in their areas.

Spear Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2014
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.spearsafaris.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI life member, PHASA life member
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Benin, Burkina Faso, Mozambique, Tanzania, USA, Phillipines
Shakka. You are on the right track, other than saying Tanzania is way more expensive than Zambia!. Anyway I hear you re the costs. I have access to a great area in south central Zimbabwe and think you may like the idea. Please feel free to email me if you are interested. info@spearsafaris.com

JKO HUNTING SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2011
AH enthusiast
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
jkosafaris.com
Media
Member of
PHASA, DSC, SCI
Hunted
South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Burkina Faso, Zambia, Spain, Uganda, Greenland
Hello Shakka,

Welcome to the forum and good luck planning your safari. Feel free to check out our leopard trail cam pictures on AH.

I have several options that I can offer, I will also send you a PM with more information.

All my best,

Jacques

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
You can get good cats in many places. There are some big ones throughout Zim with good success rates. Zambia is more spendy but high success rates. Namibia has some great options as well.

I just returned form a hunt in Zim with @JKO Hunting Safaris where we came across a few large leopard tracks!

Last edited:

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
I'll start off here with my first post;) to get your opinions on where one has the best opportunity to kill the biggest Leopards on the continent.

I killed a smallish male 10 years ago so in 2020 I would like to go back for a monster or nothing.

Zambia is expensive and seems to have the best success rate but not the best reputation for genetically big cats.

Tanzania is way out of my budget and isn't a consideration.

South Africa/Limpopo isn't issuing permits.

Namibia gets some big ones but success rate seems low compared to other places.

That leaves Zimbabwe which seems to have big cats, decent prices, and good success rates.

With a reputable cat hunter, what do you guys make of this??

Thanks!

EDIT: BIG oops, I just saw Jacques replied to you already. But you can see the links below for some pictures.

Jacques @JKO Hunting Safaris works with an outfitter in Namibia where some very nice sized leopards were taken this year. The hunting is limited and the leopards not so heavily pressured. I know one client took a leopard on either his 2nd or 3rd opportunity after missing. Not something that happens very often.

I don't know what the prices will be for 2020, but I'm sure Jacques can provide you that information.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/leopard-trailcam-pictures-jko-hunting-safaris.48663/

See leopards taken this year in Namibia on pages 2 and 3 of the following thread:
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/leopard-trailcam-pictures-jko-hunting-safaris.48663/

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Namibia cattle country produces some huge cats. Nick Nolte has been successfully guiding clients to great cats over bait for two decades. I highly recommend him. https://nicknoltehunting.com/about/

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
Welcome to our forum Shakka. Where to hunt the biggest cats makes for an interesting thread!

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
Namibia cattle country produces some huge cats. Nick Nolte has been successfully guiding clients to great cats over bait for two decades. I highly recommend him. https://nicknoltehunting.com/about/
A buddy of mine shot a great big leopard hunting with Nick three years ago. Got him in the middle of the day while hunting for PG over a water hole. And got it all on video!!! Nick has a great outfit.

shadowhunterz

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Kenya, Zambia, USA, Canada
Namibia might now have much success rate but its where i would go. there are lots of factory that surrounds the success of a hunt. So far there's good population then you should have no problem.

Spear Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2014
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.spearsafaris.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Benin, Burkina Faso, Mozambique, Tanzania, USA, Phillipines
The Kind of Cat you are looking for?
MFDC0026.jpg

Spear Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2014
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.spearsafaris.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted

Shakka

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA SCI
Hunted
Namibia Zimbabwe
Beautiful big leopards! Exactly what I am looking for thanks for posting.

and thank you for your responses everyone

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Mozambique offers good cats.

Shakka

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA SCI
Hunted
Namibia Zimbabwe
Spear, I can’t stop looking at the pics you posted...especially the last 2.

Look at the head, neck, Dewlap on those monsters!

Kowas Adventure Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2017
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
kowasadventure.com
Media
Articles
Member of
NAPHA, DSC, SCI
Hunted
NAMIBIA and ZIMBABWE and SOUTH AFRICA
@Shakka

My advice is look for a good area for leopard...

In Namibia the success rates are generally lower in privately owned areas (and the prices cheaper...) but in National Parks like Bwabwata National Park, Waterberg Plateau National Park and Namib Naukluft National Park AND various conservancy areas in North-Western Namibia all produce big cats with good success rates. Limited quotas in these areas ensure that high quality animals are harvested if lady luck is on your side.

This beautiful cat below, is one we harvested in Waterberg Plateau National Park. Jamy Traut hunts the area now.

If you're set on Zimbabwe.... I would without a doubt in my mind contact Thierry Labat. If I am not mistaken, his success rate on leopard is 48 out of 52 hunts. He hunts in Sango if I recall correctly. He hunted with me two weeks ago and we sat down and shared trailcam pictures of leopards..... and holy smokes, THEY HAVE BIG LEOPARDS in their area.
Here is his contact details:
Thierry Labat
phthierrylabat@gmail.com
WhatsApp: +263772321442

My Best,
Jacques

Aman Leopard - trophy images_7872.jpg

ddog

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zambia, Central African Republic
You should review your statement about Zambia- the quality of leopard hunted in Western Zambia is exceptional. You are correct about prices in Zambia. I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit!

Shakka

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA SCI
Hunted
Namibia Zimbabwe
You should review your statement about Zambia- the quality of leopard hunted in Western Zambia is exceptional. You are correct about prices in Zambia. I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit!

hey Ddog, I’m sure that some monsters come out of Zambia but from what I read and heard, the leopards from southern Zimbabwe are genetically bigger.

That said, if I could afford Zambia I would go there in a minute. Seeing and even shooting a leopard in daylight must be incredible. Plus seeing the of other game that is there would be a treat in itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlesJek

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J