Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
A buddy is taking his family on a ski vacation in Big Sky over spring break. He has no interest in skiing and would love to go on a cat hunt. Does anyone know a good lion guide in the area?

Unfortunately, I don't know of any outfitters. One thing for your buddy to consider, is that the Gallatin Canyon /Big Sky, and surrounding mountains is very steep terrain, that is often snow packed at that time of year. Takes someone in super shape to hunt it. If he's willing to travel further away in Montana, there may be more favorable options.?

Reactions: WAB
I’m actually in Big Sky, MT at the moment. Has he checked dates, seasons, tags, etc. To make sure available?

I’m actually in Big Sky, MT at the moment. Has he checked dates, seasons, tags, etc. To make sure available?

No idea. I was hoping to put him in touch w a reputable outfitter and let him sort it out.

I’d check in with one of the butcher shops. Try Yellowstone processing and see if they have a referral. I’d also call Bob Wards and see what they say.
Your friend will need snowshoes!

One of the best cat hunters in MT used to be a fella named Del Cameron. I went to his guide school in Victor when just a young lad of 20 so many years ago, nearly 50!
He is now retired though. He wrote a book about his adventures, I have a signed copy. Look him up sometime, very interesting guy and a very nice man as well.
Lives in Stevensville now I believe.

I could point you to a buddy who guides in Eastern Wyoming. Challenge is going to be making sure they have fresh snow on the ground when he's there, and that unit's quota is still open. Most cat hunts I've seen are "on call". I flew-out last year on 2 days notice before a storm coming in. It ended up pushing east and the first 4 days of hunting were horrible because there were bare spots, old snow. I lucked out on the last day and shot a nice cat after they got a 1/2" of snow. We were amazed one of the dogs was able to trail it on dry ground.

Now parts of NM, and UT it's common for them to track on dry ground and there are several good outfitters there.

I could point you to a buddy who guides in Eastern Wyoming. Challenge is going to be making sure they have fresh snow on the ground when he's there, and that unit's quota is still open. Most cat hunts I've seen are "on call". I flew-out last year on 2 days notice before a storm coming in. It ended up pushing east and the first 4 days of hunting were horrible because there were bare spots, old snow. I lucked out on the last day and shot a nice cat after they got a 1/2" of snow. We were amazed one of the dogs was able to trail it on dry ground.

Now parts of NM, and UT it's common for them to track on dry ground and there are several good outfitters there.

Does that fellow work at an oil refinery? If so, I suspect that he used to work for me. I was in eastern WY for nine years before moving to Alaska.

Laughing a little bit at the utah comment-we get plenty of snow here “greatest snow on earth.” Dogs can trail on dry ground as easily as snow as long as the sun and heat don’t ruin the trail. Snow just makes the tracks visible and prevents from chasing females and small cats. Arizona is the magic kingdom of dry trailing.
in Montana I would check with taxidermists-they will have connections for you.

best luck to your friend-chasing hounds is a wake up for your soul, a reunion with your ancestors-one of my favorite things to do!
B8FBD595-5B18-4485-A603-9127889A1CB9.jpeg

Does that fellow work at an oil refinery? If so, I suspect that he used to work for me. I was in eastern WY for nine years before moving to Alaska.
Negative

Laughing a little bit at the utah comment-we get plenty of snow here “greatest snow on earth.” Dogs can trail on dry ground as easily as snow as long as the sun and heat don’t ruin the trail. Snow just makes the tracks visible and prevents from chasing females and small cats. Arizona is the magic kingdom of dry trailing.
in Montana I would check with taxidermists-they will have connections for you.
I was thinking more southern Utah. Gentleman I know of runs his dogs in both UT and AZ I believe.

Give Dale Manning a call-custom birdworks in Missoula Montana, he will have some suggestions-his shop is worth a visit if your friend is ever near there.

Montana mountain lion season is Dec 1 thru mid-April. I sent a note to my taxidermist in Livingston and asked him if he knows anyone in the Big Sky area that does cat hunts.

Have them check out Treed Up Outfitters based in Sheridan MT which is not too far from Big Sky as the crow flies. For those of us living in MT, any drive under two hours is local! My taxidermist (Monarch Taxidermy, Helena MT) just posted a picture on Instagram today of a beautiful cat they are working on from this outfitter.

Good luck, I live in the Madison Valley of MT and look at the backside of Lone Peak in Big Sky from my window, we have lots of cats in this area.

Have them check out Treed Up Outfitters based in Sheridan MT which is not too far from Big Sky as the crow flies. For those of us living in MT, any drive under two hours is local! My taxidermist (Monarch Taxidermy, Helena MT) just posted a picture on Instagram today of a beautiful cat they are working on from this outfitter.

Good luck, I live in the Madison Valley of MT and look at the backside of Lone Peak in Big Sky from my window, we have lots of cats in this area.
Howdy @MontanaPat , I’ve got a place over in Alder, wish I was there now!

@WAB Treed Up gets some good cats.

cheers,
Cody

Shannon parsons , crow creek outfitters , 3 hours north of big sky, reasonable country, lots of cats .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you