Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia,....AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI
Has anyone tried one of these and/or have any feedback?

http://www.bighornarmory.com/
I would like to see Marlin chamber the .500 S&W in a lever gun. The Big Horn is nice, but spendy. Also based on the 1886, so can't accept a scope as the solid-top Marlin 1895 does. Beautifully made, but not as practical as it could be.

I would like to see Marlin chamber the .500 S&W in a lever gun. The Big Horn is nice, but spendy. Also based on the 1886, so can't accept a scope as the solid-top Marlin 1895 does. Beautifully made, but not as practical as it could be.
The problem with the marlin 1895 is that I do not believe it can handle the pressure of a .500 S&W. As far as I know it is not rated for 60,000 PSI as the Rossi M92 is. In fact to my knowledge, the M92 was the only production levergun designed around a traditional lever rifle that can handle those kind of pressures. Hence their chambering it in .454 Casull. This obviously precludes the Browning BLR and Savage 99 as they are hybrid levers in which the bolt itself is the locking mechanism and can therefore sustain much higher working pressures.

I looked at the Big Horn as I have a revolver chambered in 500 S&W. Did you notice the rear sights are on the bolt assembly? Does that seem odd to you?

That does seem strange bigsteve. Sure would like to see some close up pics if someone has one.

I have a 500 revolver also, so this could be cool tool if the workmanship and reliability are there. It seems like it should be a 100 yard sledge hammer in a small repeating package. Kinda expensive but I had almost that much into a Wild West guns take down "co-pilot" in 45-70 that I sold years ago to fund another project. Oh well, we will see what the reviews are on it as guys start putting it to work.

From all reviews, the quality is exceptional and reliability is 100%. I wish they would drill the left side of the receiver for a Williams receiver sight. Would seem to make more sense than the bolt-mounted sight. A lot of money, too; but I'm sure it's nice. You could make up a really sweet Marlin 1895 .45-70 custom rig for less, though.

I have a 500 revolver also, so this could be cool tool if the workmanship and reliability are there. It seems like it should be a 100 yard sledge hammer in a small repeating package. Kinda expensive but I had almost that much into a Wild West guns take down "co-pilot" in 45-70 that I sold years ago to fund another project. Oh well, we will see what the reviews are on it as guys start putting it to work.

Funny you should mention Wild West Guns. I spoke to Jim West at the 2014 SCI show in Las Vegas about a lever action in this caliber. He said it's hard to make a 500 S&W in a lever action due to the high case pressures of the 500 S&W. That's was my understanding anyway.

Funny you should mention Wild West Guns. I spoke to Jim West at the 2014 SCI show in Las Vegas about a lever action in this caliber. He said it's hard to make a 500 S&W in a lever action due to the high case pressures of the 500 S&W. That's was my understanding anyway.
Roger Big Steve! That's one of my concerns. I know Wild West ran a limited production basesd on the the Marlin action.

Hello fellow Close Range Hunters,

Get yourself a Remington Model 870 in 3 inch magnum with about a 20 inch barrel.
Have a proper Gunsmith install some sturdy sights (such as a welded-on blade front and a reinforced peep or "ghost ring" rear) then, have it all Ceracoated or similar rust resistant finish applied if you like.
Due to a much lower cost, I prefer bead blast and hot tanked AKA "mat black" or "flat black", then I very lightly grease it to resist rust (Vaseline is my preference as a rust inhibitor on a "pitted" surface like this).

Zero this sturdy contraption with a "6 O'Clock hold", at around 50 to 75 paces, firing Brenneke "Black Gold" 3 inch magnum slugs.
Now you will have a very powerful weapon for out to about 100 yds that, is also a natural "take down" design, for riding in small airplanes and such.
Plus, it will be plenty accurate enough for big game hunting, out to about as far as a handgun cartridge would be but, with a way heavier and much larger diameter bullet as well.

Unfortunately, it does not address the companion revolver with interchangeable ammunition/very good plan that Mekaniks has.
However, it does have the huge advantage of also being a shotgun when loaded with various purpose cartridges, from bird shot for hunting small game to buckshot for home defense, and of course slugs for moose, bear, deer and boar in thick woods.
With the money you'll save in contrast to a custom or semi custom lever action rifle in some super high pressure revolver cartridge, start saving toward your next hunting trip.

The Penny Pincher,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
i often thought a lever action carbine in 500 S&W would be a good idea for hunting hogs or even deer at close range. having said that, the $2500 price tag keeps me away from these lever guns. perhaps if they found a way to make em around $1500 id be more interested.

-matt

Roger Big Steve! That's one of my concerns. I know Wild West ran a limited production basesd on the the Marlin action.
I wonder if they will ever do another run. I might be just as happy with a bolt action rifle. It wouldn't hurt to ask them I guess.

I do not know anyone who owns one of their custom guns and have not seen any reviews of their custom work so I'm reluctant to just order one sight unseen.

Hello fellow Close Range Hunters,

Get yourself a Remington Model 870 in 3 inch magnum with about a 20 inch barrel.
Have a proper Gunsmith install some sturdy sights (such as a welded-on blade front and a reinforced peep or "ghost ring" rear) then, have it all Ceracoated or similar rust resistant finish applied if you like.
Due to a much lower cost, I prefer bead blast and hot tanked AKA "mat black" or "flat black", then I very lightly grease it to resist rust (Vaseline is my preference as a rust inhibitor on a "pitted" surface like this).

Zero this sturdy contraption with a "6 O'Clock hold", at around 50 to 75 paces, firing Brenneke "Black Gold" 3 inch magnum slugs.
Now you will have a very powerful weapon for out to about 100 yds that, is also a natural "take down" design, for riding in small airplanes and such.
Plus, it will be plenty accurate enough for big game hunting, out to about as far as a handgun cartridge would be but, with a way heavier and much larger diameter bullet as well.

Unfortunately, it does not address the companion revolver with interchangeable ammunition/very good plan that Mekaniks has.
However, it does have the huge advantage of also being a shotgun when loaded with various purpose cartridges, from bird shot for hunting small game to buckshot for home defense, and of course slugs for moose, bear, deer and boar in thick woods.
With the money you'll save in contrast to a custom or semi custom lever action rifle in some super high pressure revolver cartridge, start saving toward your next hunting trip.

The Penny Pincher,
Velo Dog.
Hi there Velo Dog, and thanks for the reply. You got me to thinking (congratulations), and I realized I might have the (nearly) ideal close range stopper. My custom 870 has an 18 1/2" Vang Comp/Bar-Sto stainless barrel with an extra heavy profile. Hans Vang commissioned a limited number of them to be made years ago and I ended up with 2 of them. With the 870 pictured, I will remove the Surefire forend and replace with a Hogue overmoulded forend for hunting applications (the other 870 is identical and will retain the Surefire for home defense). I will either leave the SpeedFeed stock in place or trade out for a Magpul SGA which will give me comb adjustability. The SpeedFeed does offer the advantage of holding four spare shells, however. I also have a 2-round shorter mag extension that I'll probably swap out for the long extension for better balance and to meet magazine capacity restrictions if that's an issue.

This 870 also has Vang's safety and follower installed, as well as his chamber/choke treatment that give exceptionally tight 00 buck patterns. The rear sight is a steel LPA ghost ring and the front is Vang's stainless blade with a tritium insert. They're good to go. The icing on this cake is the Robar NP3 finish, which is virtually indestructible, and is applied to all internals, including the bore.

I haven't fired slugs through it yet, but I will be soon. Assuming they're reasonably accurate, I should be in business. Thanks for helping me realize what I have (and for possibly saving me money at some point in the future)!
IMG_4843.JPG
IMG_4841.JPG
IMG_4846.JPG
IMG_1632.jpg

I'll keep my Marlin 1895 in 45-70. However, that thing looks like fun.

Shuter,

You are very welcome.

Leave it to me - the king of penny pinchers - to suggest ways to save money and yet still be able to have some workable tools.

I'm familiar with Vang Comp products/modifications and also Robby Barkman's work on tactical firearms (I was a Police Officer for 28 years and a SWAT member for about 5 of those 28).

The front and rear sights on your shotgun are some of the best (vibration and impact resistant) available in the world.

I'm with you on the forearm thing - get that big clunky lighted one off there and put on a slimmer/handy one like you mentioned, especially if you think you might ever need to use this firearm while you're wearing gloves, such as in cold weather.

The forearm I liked when I still had an 870 (best fighting shotgun the world has ever seen IMO) was the skinny little one by Pachmayr (black checkered rubber over steel tube/securing hardware) but, I do not know if they still make those or not.

As for extended magazines and other gadgets that hold extra cartridges in or on some part of the weapon, I'm not really fond of same, because those things usually make the weapon off balance and unnecessarily heavy, but I do not pretend to know what is best for you on that specific issue.

Vang Comp and "RoBar" were household terms/names in that profession back then, evidently both are still in business.

I promise you that according to all I understand about shotgun slugs - the Brenneke "Black Gold" 3 inch magnum 12 gauge slug is unanimously accepted across Alaska's Law Enforcement community as the best 12 gauge load to use, when confronted with a wayward grizzly or, some bad guy that has barricaded himself in a vehicle or piled up his mattress and furniture as a makeshift fortress, during a gun battle.

Those things, by reputation, penetrate surprisingly well for only being a shotgun launched projectile and I would bet some decent beer money that they are more effective on large animals at close range than any .50 caliber handgun cartridge.

I firmly believe that mean old Mr. .375 H&H / 300 gr A-Frame for bear and a monolithic solid with a 300 gr meplat shape for barricaded creeps, totally trumps any and all shotgun related equipment but, the .375 is not the best choice in a crowded city (such as here in Anchorage - about 350 thousand people in winter and at least 450 thousand in summer).

Well, I'm rambling and so I should probably stop here, better late than never / Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Shuter,

You are very welcome.

Leave it to me - the king of penny pinchers - to suggest ways to save money and yet still be able to have some workable tools.

I'm familiar with Vang Comp products/modifications and also Robby Barkman's work on tactical firearms (I was a Police Officer for 28 years and a SWAT member for about 5 of those 28).

The front and rear sights on your shotgun are some of the best (vibration and impact resistant) available in the world.

I'm with you on the forearm thing - get that big clunky lighted one off there and put on a slimmer/handy one like you mentioned, especially if you think you might ever need to use this firearm while you're wearing gloves, such as in cold weather.

The forearm I liked when I still had an 870 (best fighting shotgun the world has ever seen IMO) was the skinny little one by Pachmayr (black checkered rubber over steel tube/securing hardware) but, I do not know if they still make those or not.

As for extended magazines and other gadgets that hold extra cartridges in or on some part of the weapon, I'm not really fond of same, because those things usually make the weapon off balance and unnecessarily heavy, but I do not pretend to know what is best for you on that specific issue.

Vang Comp and "RoBar" were household terms/names in that profession back then, evidently both are still in business.

I promise you that according to all I understand about shotgun slugs - the Brenneke "Black Gold" 3 inch magnum 12 gauge slug is unanimously accepted across Alaska's Law Enforcement community as the best 12 gauge load to use, when confronted with a wayward grizzly or, some bad guy that has barricaded himself in a vehicle or piled up his mattress and furniture as a makeshift fortress, during a gun battle.

Those things, by reputation, penetrate surprisingly well for only being a shotgun launched projectile and I would bet some decent beer money that they are more effective on large animals at close range than any .50 caliber handgun cartridge.

I firmly believe that mean old Mr. .375 H&H / 300 gr A-Frame for bear and a monolithic solid with a 300 gr meplat shape for barricaded creeps, totally trumps any and all shotgun related equipment but, the .375 is not the best choice in a crowded city (such as here in Anchorage - about 350 thousand people in winter and at least 450 thousand in summer).

Well, I'm rambling and so I should probably stop here, better late than never / Cheers,
Velo Dog.
Thanks Velo. Can't wait to try the Brennekes. At this point, their 3" Black Magic appear to be the only non-sabot slug for smoothbores (the Magnum Crush is for rifled bores only). 600 grains at 1,500+ fps ought do the trick at short range, though! I've pasted from their website below.

12 GA 3'' Black Magic
Ballistic Data 12 / 3
The Black Magic Magnum (12 GA 3”) and the Black Magic Short Magnum 12 GA 2¾”) are two of the most powerful cartridges available on the market. They offer tremendous knockdown power up to 100 yards. The Black Magic Magnum and the Black Magic Short Magnum are your live insurance against big and/or dangerous game.

black_magic_collage.jpg

Calibre: 12 GA 3”
Weight: 1 3/8oz, 600 grs, 39g
Game: elk, deer, wild boar, coyote, bear
barrel: smooth and rifled
chokes: all
range: up to 100 yards

Calibre: 12 GA 2 ¾”
Weight: 1 oz, 430 grs, 28g
Game: elk, deer, wild boar, coyote, bear
barrel: smooth and rifled
chokes: all
range: up to 100 yards

The clean speed coating recduces lead fouling inside the barrel by almost 100%.

Attachments

• black_magic_collage.jpg
    black_magic_collage.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 208
By the way, Mekaniks, I'm truly sorry about hijacking your thread. Just occurred to me that I had done so to a ridiculous degree. I apologize.

Shuter,
Nice set up ya got there! I'm a firm believer in the fact that if you just can't have a claymore, a good 12ga stuffed full of 00 buck will change just about anybody's mind about coming into your home. I keep one next to the bed and one stuffed into the cushions of the couch I'm sitting on. Paranoid? Not at all. Some times good taste and preparedness are mistaken as a personality fluke.
I used to carry a couple 3" slugs for griz purposes while grouse hunting in NW'rn Mt. I never felt under gunned, just wish I could pack my 870 around Houston to make me feel a lil better bout the griz runnin around here!
Cheers,
Cody

By the way, Mekaniks, I'm truly sorry about hijacking your thread. Just occurred to me that I had done so to a ridiculous degree. I apologize.

Me too.
And also, I apologize to anyone who was ruffled by my re-naming Brenneke's "Black Magic" line of shotgun slugs to: "Black Gold" ... oopsie (I'm going to start treating my obvious onset of Alzheimer's Disease with an experimental therapy ... it's called gin.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!