Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Nam, Zam, Zim,RSA (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, NZ, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
A diamond believed to be the third largest ever found has been put on display in Botswana.
The stone - weighing 1,098 carats - was shown to President Mokgweetsi Masisi, two weeks after the diamond firm, Debswana, unearthed it.
The huge gem is only slightly less heavy than the world's second-largest diamond which was also found in Botswana in 2015.
Botswana is Africa's largest producer of diamonds.
"This is the largest diamond to be recovered by Debswana in its history of over 50 years in operation," said Lynette Armstrong, Debswana Diamond Company's acting managing director.
"From our preliminary analysis it could be the world's third largest gem quality stone."

Debswana is a joint venture between the government and global diamond giant De Beers and up to 80% of the income from sales goes to state coffers through dividends, royalties and taxes.
An estimate of the stone's potential cost has not yet been released but in 2017, the second-largest diamond ever found, Lesedi La Rona, was sold for $53m (£39.5m).
The biggest diamond ever discovered was the 3,106 carat Cullinan diamond found in South Africa in 1905.

Saw this on youtube, Its quick huge and beautiful.
Good times for Botswana.

Foolishly I showed this to my wife (we are going to SA in July 2022) and now she is full on researching Diamond purchases while we are in the country-MY BAD!

The huge gem is only slightly less heavy than the world's second-largest diamond which was also found in Botswana in 2015.

"This is the largest diamond to be recovered by Debswana in its history of over 50....
Not sure how they come to that conclusion.......

Not sure how they come to that conclusion.......
I also thought about that but didn't want some sound like some conspiracy theorist.
They are just shiny rocks afterall.

As someone who has been in the jewelry/diamond business for over 40 yrs I can tell you it’s unlikely you’ll get a better price in Africa. They mine many there but most are cut elsewhere. Those that are cut there are priced at wholesale to retailers at essentially the same price as you jeweler her in the states or Canada pays. If they know what they’re doing.
Then look at the fraud risk. Why buy there without the legal recourse should something be misrepresented? I’m not saying that you might not find a good deal. I am saying it’s far more likely that you’ll pay the same or more with a much higher chance of fraud….
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg