Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
The weather has cooled finally here in Phoenix and high school football is over, so I'm back into shooting mode again. With Michael having done all the work for load development for the .458B&M, I can focus my efforts now to becoming a more proficient big bore shooter. So I decided to come up with a time/accuracy exercise today.

I loaded up 6 420gr CEB Safari Raptors and 6 450gr Safari Solids. I shot these in 3 separate four shot groups. 2 solids down, 2 raptors on top. I used the trick of holding the 3 in the magazine down with the first round and pushing the bolt forward to catch the rim between the extractor and bolt face.

Target was at 25 yards. I did not use sticks for any shot, all shots offhand. I had my son start the stopwatch with the first shot and stop on the fourth. The first and third group timed right at 7.7 seconds. Shooter error cycling one of the rounds in the second group led to 8.9 second time.

I don't know where these shots would print off the bench at 25 yards, so they may be low just because of where the scope is set. I was more interested in the groups.

Any comments/advice for this fairly new big bore shooter and would be first time buff hunter are appreciated.

IMG_0352.jpg

I think they look good for a first time practice, like you said a little low but you shot fairly fast & accurate

Pretty good for a .458 Belt and Mangle!:rolleyes:

I think the charging buff is dead.

Phil

I know you were going for speed in your time trials.

question for you which were your 1st shot for your runs...

The accuracy of the first shot is what your PH is always looking for. the quick follow ups were excellent by the way...

On a buff you would probably get maybe 2 shots and the second shot would be at a moving target provided he is in the open and not in a herd.

Phil

I know you were going for speed in your time trials.

question for you which were your 1st shot for your runs...

The accuracy of the first shot is what your PH is always looking for. the quick follow ups were excellent by the way...

On a buff you would probably get maybe 2 shots and the second shot would be at a moving target provided he is in the open and not in a herd.

James,

My intent was not to have any of these shots to per se be like a normal first shot that would be a bit more planned. Simply it was kind of a oh crap there he is wounded and mad type of shoot. So I just brought the gun up and when close to the center diamond shoot and keep doing so till empty. I would never want my true first shot to be as such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg