Big Bore Margin for Error...are You Joking?

Lomadelray

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Alaska
AH Friends,

I had to share an extremely disappointing conversation I recently had with a hunting acquaintance. I have not known this person long, having met him through a business relationship several years. I knew he was a well traveled hunter who has hunted North America and Africa for dangerous game. Through our common business dealings I began to like him; he was always friendly and personable and seemed like he was fairly squared away.
My opinion changed forever after we got to have an in depth conversation about hunting with several of our colleagues.
We sipped scotch and swapped tales of hunts and harrowing adventures. As usual the conversation turned to rifles and the best calibers for stopping dangerous game. Ultimately he shared a story about a grizzly bear hunt.
On said hunt he set out from camp and headed toward a bait station accompanied by teenage girl with little to no hunting experience. As they approached the bait they began to hear multiple bears moving in brush around the trail. The girl began to raise concerns about the bears proximity and aggressive behavior as they heard chuffing and the popping of jaws. She wondered aloud what she and he were doing there in the first place.
At this point I opined that it seemed a poor time and place to be having a conversation that should have taken place far earlier with a clear expectation of what hunting dangerous game in heavy brush would be like.
He responded that he was he was not worried because he had hunted this area multiple times and was carrying a rifle (I don't recall which make) chambered in 416 Remington.
He then said that through a small, maybe six inch square, opening in the brush he spotted a patch of brown fur about 20 yards ahead. He stated he could not tell which part of the animal it was or to what gender or age group the animal belonged, only that he was certain it was bear fur. He then placed his crosshairs on the patch of fur and pulled the trigger. He then ran forward to see what he had hit and was delighted to find that he "anchored" a nice boar by gut a gut shot.
Apparently mistaking the disgust on my face for enthusiasm he continued to gush about the massive "margin for error" of the 416 Rem.
There were so many things wrong with the scenario he described I found myself at a loss for words. My first instinct was to eviscerate him for being an ignorant unethical fool, for endangering a novice hunter, and for committing the cardinal sin of not clearly identifying what he was shooting at, nor knowing where on the animal his shot was going!
But chastising him in that setting would have been counter productive to the business at hand.
So I choked down the bile and held my tongue, and I hate myself a little for it.
With our business nearly concluded I will have little, although some, dealings with him in the future.
I just am still flabbergasted that this type of mentality exists, especially in an otherwise rational adult.
I don't really have a question for the group, other than can you f-ing believe this guy? Margin for error on a gut shot, are you kidding me? This wasn't a follow up on a wounded animal, this was a wing and a prayer on a six inch opening in the brush on God knows what kind of animal. I'm glad for the girl's sake it didn't turn ugly, but I kinda of wish the bear had slapped his face off.
Here is a couple of questions; what is the best way to broach this subject with him without completely torching the business relationship? Have any of you ever successfully showed an ignorant unethical hunter the error of his ways and produced a change of behavior?

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Crazy!!! If because of some business you have to end up hunting with him, don't where a fur coat!!! I would get the brightest orange clothes ever!!!

regardless of bore size, you need to know what your shooting at and where your going to shoot it. now mistakes can be made and sometimes your looking at something different then you think. I once shot a 2x2 thinking it was a 2x3 (animal was running full bore). ive also shot an animal that I saw go behind some bushes and ended up wounding it because I guessed its location wrong. but in every case I knew that I was shooting at a particular animal and I realized it was a mistake after words and felt ashamed at my foolishness.

shooting at a mystery "something" is never acceptable and one should not be proud of or condone such actions.

-matt

Some people you cannot teach. We can only hope this idiot gets a Darwinian award before he does more harm . Broaching the subject of ethics with this moron will no doubt put him on the defensive and hurt your dealings.
However, most of us know a story or two where the dickhead gets his karmic payback, take solace in that

AH Friends,

Here is a couple of questions; what is the best way to broach this subject with him without completely torching the business relationship? Have any of you ever successfully showed an ignorant unethical hunter the error of his ways and produced a change of behavior?

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

For the first question:
There was a course in my company how to deal with various persons doing wrong things... Well, basically do not come out with a statement, but rather with a question. Put the blame on the sin, but not on the sinner. Ask the sinner, if there is other ways to consider? Make him think, answer this question by himeself.

For example: Ask him something like has he considered all possible hazards, all wrong and possible outcomes or different and more safe ways of dealing with that situation. What would possible be a more ethical way to hunt in the brush? Or more safe? Things like that.

For the second question.
There is ignorant, unethical hunters without experience, and usually younger generation, willing to learn. Such type will take your advice and change the way he (or she) hunts)

Also, there is ignorant, unethical hunters WITH years of experience, and the wrong ways that he has learnt from the beginning. No way he (or she) will take your advice, and furthermore this may worsen or destroy your future relations with such person. Ask your self is it worthy of trying? Or keeping your distance would be wiser thing to do. We can not change the world.

And, there is also third type: Ignorant, unethical, young, and inexperienced hunter - not willing to learn or take advice from others, or always choosing easier ways. Possibly same as previous type.

Yours is to judge the type of person you are dealing with, and choose the action.
Older unethical persons, hunting on their uchangeable habits you can not change. You can only kick them out of the club membership as one possible solution, if members of the same club, or keeping your distanece from such person, or at least keeping distance from this subject!

Wow. Unethical at best, extremely dangerous at worst. I guess this is another reminder there can be a large difference between a hunter and someone who goes hunting.

I guess the question comes down to how valuable the business dealings are compared to your conscience. While this person's story (and it is a story as you weren't there) is abhorrent, you'll have to make a judgement on their personality and how they'd perceive your comments/questions. Are they the type of person who can take some mild criticism? Are you two comfortable enough together, like old friends, that you could be brutally honest?

I always believe it is best to be blunt and straight forward. A person's reaction will tell me what kind of person they really truly are. If they're willing to face the truth, then I'm willing to let it go right there. Consider it a teachable moment. If a person cannot take the truth, then I'd rather not have any dealings with them. Imagine what type of business person they are if they are unethical about their hunting. Would any dealings you have with them be trust worthy?

I would personally question myself if the dealings I had with that person are worth it or if they were being 100 percent straight with me. Just my view of it. And yes, I've had to deal with this type, but luckily they were family. They didn't take it well at first, but they changed eventually. Good luck!

Standing around in my local outdoor store I sometimes here some appalling stories. Sometimes I will say something but other time the old adage comes to mind:

Don't try to teach a pig to sing, you will waste your time and annoy the pig.

YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!
However you can teach and encourage ethics.

don't where a fur coat!!!

I was thinking exactly the same after finished the reading Simon......

What do you think about this outfit to go hunt with him.....??

abrigo.jpg

Maybe is your lucky day and you get a 416 solid just in your butt :ROFLMAO:

@ROCKET , no pills for stupidity.....:(:(

...While this person's story (and it is a story as you weren't there) is abhorrent, ........... .

My first reaction was to inquire about the amount of alcohol consumed, thus the accompanying embellishment that was occurring. It was not a complete fabrication which is the scary part.

My next thought is who was this poor kid was that was subjected to this guys irresponsible and reckless behaviour. If that were my kid this fella would be getting a lesson he would not soon forget. It was sheer dumb luck that there was not a catastrophic end.
I hope that kid is capable of saying no and never going hunting with this twit again.

On the teachability side of this equation:
How much energy do you want to expend on this guy?
How much does he need your business?
How much does he value your relationship?

His "I had it all in control" rationale, as a first response to your opinion on his hunt planning, does not bode well as a demonstration of his listening skills.

Go to the nearest Goodwill/secondhand store and buy a fur coat and give him a gift just before next hunting season.
Do you think he would get the message?

@Lomadelray,

I am not the one to give you advice on how to approach this person in a politically correct wearing kid gloves fashion. I simply wouldn't be able to. If I said anything, it would be as blunt as a sledge hammer, which this guy needs upside his head.

What's done is done and as such I think I'd be inclined to not say anything as it seems your relationship with him isn't such that you feel you could do so as a friend and/or have your opinion and advice respected. Thus, it wouldn't do any good anyway. Perhaps over time you'll become more familiar with this guy and as such if a hunting plan is being discussed, the time/situation will be right to have this discussion regarding safety and ethics.

My concern were it me is just how far in bed, business wise, should I get with this guy? If he is this cavalier and ignorant when it comes to hunting dangerous game, it may be indicative of his overall approach to business. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with that.

Invite him to a "refresher" Hunter Education Class. Let the Instructor either teach or remind him of the errors of his ways.

P.S. Just not in one of my classes, especially if I know about it ahead of time.

Trying to reason with a person like that is a total waste of time, and it would put an end to your business relationship.

I was making my way through the local grocery store and I peeked around a corner and hiding between the pickles and soup I saw this patch of fur.

Patch of fur.jpg

I had a flash back to this thread and thought she might be gut shot at any moment.
So I screamed "Get Down!"

It was truly embarrassing,

That could have turned out ugly. I'll bet she thought you a robber!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you