Rosch

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Namibia, Southafrica, Mosambique
Dear Hunters,
dear shooters,

in the 90-ties I was living some years in Southern Africa and was a big friend of african hunting.
In those years I got hocked up on Big Game hunting, guns and all sort of Big Bore and historic ammunition.

Back to Europe I loaded and shot all sort of Big Bores, all brands but preferable something from Alphin.
When A-Square suddenly folded my supply on this great bullets dried out immediatly.

I was trying this and that but nothing did well for me.One day I came across Mr. Corbin from the States who offered me an interesting deal. He promised to make me tools, which would do even better than A-Square' s Bullets.

Some month and a formidable cheque later I had a whole bunch of tools and a hell of a press standing in my workshop, waiting to get busy.
With the equipment it was possible to make the jackets and the soft point bonded dual diameter type bullets in different sizes and weight.
I did a lot of testing, shooting and hunting and after running through some hundereds of bullets, I really was impressed by the quality of the bullets the tools delivered. The results in the field were also great and I was really pushing it to offer those special purpose bullets to others.

As life goes, my wife got pregnant, the kid was real fun, and so a few years passed just silently by, without getting really busy on this press and tools.

Now time would be available again but other things have changed. Even the laws around here in Europe.
I do still have those glittering tools and this professionell press well stored and in excellent working condition with very little use but can't do anything with it anymore, because almost every state in Europe has banned all hunting bullets containing lead.

There is now this idea that maybe anyone out there in the african bush has interest and the wish to take over and does with this great tools, what they are made for.

All tools are available to produce .416, .423, .458 and .474 Jackets and Bullets !
The jackets can be 1 or 2mm strong and are very stout. So You can make soft bullets and hard bullets.
The machinerey is no cheap stuff from china, it is professional custom made by the same persons who delivered tools also to other wellknown bulletmaker.

With those calibers You cover most of the Big Bore rifles for african hunting and even more is possible with the tools, which I would like to discuss with someone.
All details are documented, every step is explained and for a technic abled person easy understandable.
The production is done with all time available materials like lead and copper.

Is there anyone out there who has interest ?

Then please contact me.......all is negotiable !

Some pics are attached, more can be supplied, just to give an idea about the stuff.
Those bullets are .458 softpoint with 2mm walls, very stout.
Then the press, Zylinder, Bullet before and after and some tools and punches to imagine.

DSCF5930_web.jpg
DSCF5921.JPG
zyl.jpg
DSCF5937_kombi.jpg
DSCF5936_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH Rosch! Please include prices of what you are selling and post some pictures as well, thank you.

Looks to produce a bullet akin to the old A-Square, in profile anyway (the outer form). It'd be a ton of fun to work with the tooling. Wish I could afford to do so!

No doubt someone might be interested...but a price indication is needed to determine if there is a chance to make this work.

Dear Gentlemen,

I didn't name a price yet, because ............. I dont know what to ask.
The tools have gotten so expensive, that any comparison is not possible.

Come, if really interested, talk to me and we will find a solution which makes both of us happy.

On other forums I have seen carbide bullet dies go between $500 and $3000. WAG for the entire setup 20 thousand U.S.

Some more pics to look at:

Pic 1: Bullets .cal. .474 in different weights. Those changes in weight are possible in all offered calibers.
Pic 2: The tools which come with the press.
Pic 3: My very first lot of home brewed bullets shot out a .458 Winchester at 100 m. Not bad at all, isn't it ?
Pic 4: All dies are marked for save handling
Pic 5: Spezial order: A hunter wanted to have softer bullets for his .425 Express. I made them out of 9mm Luger shells for quick expansion. He is very happy and he says, the hogs, any size, stay just there where they've been hit. I made for him 500 bullets in total.

DSCF5953_1.jpg

DSCF5946_1.jpg
DSCF5952_1.jpg

DSCF5956_1.jpg

DSCF5951_1.jpg

Looks like a good opertunity for someone who is willing to work setting up a small business.
Wish you well with sale and hope new owner will take orders

Some more questions have come up:

What means DUAL Diameter exactly and what is it good for?
The meaning is actually that Your bullets do have two different diameters.
The one of the field and the other one of the rifling of the spezific barrel.
DSCF5971_1DIA_ECB.JPG

This feature is used on Big Game Bullets noprmally.
Why, You will understand in a while.

This feature makes You first independent from the FREE FLIGHT of the bullet.
Your seating depth into the shell is not anymore cemented by maximum COL,
because it won't cut now all over into the rifling, it rides on it partitionally.
This makes first very good accuracy and second low barrel pressures (which is great for african temperatures) and third no hassel with free flow and seating depth, because it can't touch the rifling anymore but is leaded from the rifling from beginning on. Really smart feature.
You can vary Yourself how deep You set Your bullet into the shell.
Normally it should be set by 1,5 x dia. in the cartridge mouth.

For example the 458 Winchester: Short shell, long bullet. The most bullets are pushed into the shell quiet deep, to meet Cartridge Overall Lenghts (especially 500 Grainers). By keeping it out a bit more You gain more space for powder in the shell and haven't to be afraid to touch the rifling with the shank of the bullet, by loading the cartridge into the barrel.
This is the most unwanted situation, because pressure will raise immensly and kill the gun and eventuelly You too.
The other point is, that Your pressure will be moderate all way through the barrel because the shank isn't so long to build up high pressure by pressing the whole bullet all the way into the rifling.

By the way, this bullet shown is a sort of LION LOAD Bullet. Its marked with a second cannelure to see at any moment even in the field what You just pushed into Your canon.
Don't make Murphy Your friend !!
Whether the cat nor the buffalo will be happy if those are swapped.

Another question came up.... here is the answer for all !

Bonding bullets: What does it and how it's done ?

Bonding a bullet means make copper and lead (jacket and Core ) stick together so much, that the materials do not separate anymore.
Even when forced through a barrel with lots of meters a second and finally hitting meat and bone and whatever the shooter was aiming at with so much damned force, that even steel is drilled through !

Bonding is done by a thermo chemical treatment, which is a bit of an effort but at least easy. If You know exactly what to do.

Another Question has come up:

Why did I choose this flat point for my bullets?

This form (0,5 Ogive) was choosen, because of the advantages it offers.
First of all, those calibers don't need a better Ballistic Coefficient, because velocity on Big Game calibers isn't an issue.

Second, if You want to reload Your gun quick and reliable, bolt action or double, there won't be, if You are busy with Big Game, mostly no time to inspect Your gun and answer questions like: Why did my gun just say "KLICK", Why didn't it chamber proper ? The answers to those questions are category "last words of a Big Game Hunter"!
The round bulletpoint has a more gentle form to go where You want it to. No hassel about the leadtip, no hurts in the magazine, no hassel about stucking somewhere between magazine and barrel, it just slides into the chamber and You are ready to shot.

Third, hunting isn't going mostly the way You want it, especially if the (real big) animals do things You never expected. Now there is the game and here are You and between is bush. If You have to take the shot right there -what would You choose for Yourself - a pointed bullet with a sharp and nice leadtip or .... a blunt bullet, popping even holes into steel plates ?

images

Picture from Corbin.com

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    10 KB · Views: 295
As I can read out of the mails I receive, some cannot imagine, ......

how bullets are actually made.

Well, to be serious: It's no magic.
It does looks a bit like fancy stuff, because the guys who are doing bullets all day long, want You to think that.
But it is just the result of lots of power and steel to press the stuff into the right size and form. Don't forget the polishing which makes them shiny.
But pictures show more than words would, so look at this pic:
We start from the left with the raw jacket,
close the jacket,
pressing it through the jacket sizing die,
make the core (two pieces, one bonded, one just pressed in ),
into point making die, after that,
Dual Diameter is applied,
and last the cannelure is cut.
On the right You see two recovered bullets, one is taken out a box of wet telefonbooks with acrylglas pieces (imitates very well skin, meat and bones) and one is just blown into rough sand, which is used to make concrete.
If You wanna do the ultimate test if Your bonding bonds, this is the one.

life_of_a_bullet.jpg

The next question was...

What do my bullets in the field ?

I do really think they hurt very much.
I did some close pics to show the after condition.
They were shot from 50 Meters distance with 2300 f/s into the medium.
The gun was my custom .458 Winchester Magnum.
Left telefonbook and acrylglas, right sand for concrete !

books_sand.jpg

books_sand_2.jpg

The next pic will show the weights which are recovered:
First bullet unshot
( This bullet is an EXPRESS EUROPA BULLET, which was my design and an answer to a more flexible bullet than LION LOAD.)
It has a small bonding at the bottom of the jacket to glue at least some weight to the jacket to keep it along with the core and in direction of the shootingline. This bullet works great for smaller animals like antelopes, hogs and all european game. It was my intention to create bullets for Big Bore guys who want to use their Big Bore not only for big game and cats.
With this bullet one could also hunt in native hunting grounds without blowing the whole animal to pieces.
This shows also how flexible the tools and the machinery factual is:

weight_EUR_1.jpg

This one into wet telefonbooks and Acrylpieces:
weight_EUR_2.jpg

This one into sand for concrete:
Even with those incredible forces the bullet lost more than half the weight but still holds together.
weight_EUR_3.jpg

...and some pictures from the EXPRESS SAFARI Bullet, which is inspired and designed by the same ideas like the great DEAD TOUGH from Art Alphin at A-Square.
All bullets were made by me or EXPRESS-CUSTOM-BULLETS, used for hunting in Africa and were recovered from Buffalo and Eland!

weight_SAF_1.jpg
weight_SAF_3.jpg
weight_SAF_4.jpg
weight_SAF_5.jpg

Hi folks,

I just want to do a sort of interim result.

Thank You so much for so many mails I have received.
I am happy to spread some infos about "bullet-making" to all of You guys.

Before this, I was more of a forum muffles, because hunters are different here in Europe,
but now I have met so many real friendly people,
which gives me just one word about being here: REAL FUN !!

Thanks to You and thanks to the makers of this forum.

If You have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
I will answer as soon as I have a chance.

Always favorable wind in Your face....

regards
Roland

To repeat and confirm, what is written :

weight_saf_1-jpg.235716

The bullet shown above is the so named "Express-Bullets-SAFARI" with the 2mm strong jacket and bonded core.
This bullet is produced by the offered tools and machinery, believe me !!
Its original weight in cal. 458 is 450 Grain. From this bullet the pictures are made.
And Yes, it loses only 10 - 15 % of its weight in field conditions, which is really great.
No reason to hide at all if compared to other manufacturer.

Attachments

• weight_SAF_1.jpg
    weight_SAF_1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 272
So is this still available? I’m ready for a new project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois