Big Bore Addiction Group

I feel like my problem is getting worse as I have found myself looking at black powder cannons in the last few weeks I think I need help...

I picked up a new Winchester 70 in 458 WinMag last year and sent it directly to gunsmith and converted to 458 Lott. It functions smooth as silk and is scary accurate. Also have 375 Ruger, just sold a 340 Weatherby and traded off my 338 RCM with @Bullthrower338 for a S&W 460 VXR and just saw @hammz has a 416 for sale that I may have drooled over just a little...

It started with a #1 in .375 H&H. A classic cartridge that hunts well over a broad spectrum of game animals. I also have a love of the #1; the kind of love that a red-headed stepchild has for a rented mule.

Next up was a Winchester 1886 in 45-90. Beautiful rifle, ammo isn't growing on trees.

After that, an M77 African in .416 Ruger picked up off the classifieds here. Great rifle at a very reasonable price!

The final rifle is a beautiful Henry in 45-70. I haven't shot it yet, I'm hoping to remedy that soon.

I think that I have my power bands pretty well covered. If there is a next one it will be in a double rifle. The urge is strong but the checking account weak...

It started with a #1 in .375 H&H...

375 H&H is the marijuana of the big bore world..

A gateway drug...

Try it.. and you’re guaranteed to like it...

The next thing you know, and for no understandable reason, you’re a crackhead (you own a .458) lol..

I'm rather new on this forum but been on several other BIG Bore forums for many years..
YES I admit it..I have the disease/addiction and its due to my childhood attraction to my dads 10ga Double and .458WM ! Since then it has gotten ever so much worse and many years later the list of Big Bores I have owned and hunted with is Scary! ...444 Marlin my First Centerfire as a Christmas Present at 13 years old to many many moons later up to a 4 Bore Double!
There is no cure so just learn to accept it! View attachment 365213
My first centerfire rifle at age 16 was a Marlin .444. Too much for a skinny kid, so a year later I traded it for a Winchester .270. Still have the Winchester, but wish now I still had the Marlin. Foolish boys and their toys!

375 H&H is the marijuana of the big bore world..

A gateway drug...

Try it.. and you’re guaranteed to like it...

The next thing you know, and for no understandable reason, you’re a crackhead (you own a .458) lol..
I think the .375 H&H #1 should just be something you get issued at a certain age by your father. I love them and they really are useful for just about everything. Unfortunately the Lott bug bit me and I was silly enough to pick up the phone and get one of them too. So here I sit with four wonderful rifles waiting for the opportunity to shoot them more. I'm bittersweet about missing the .416 Rigby train. I feel like I'd never have enough ammunition for it, but it's such a power house, unfortunately the opportunity to use them is the big problem. Only so many hands and so much time.

My first big gun was a CZ in 375. Have hunted with that gun a lot for close to 20 years. Then I bought a 45/70 marlin, a good fun gun. Took a bear and grouse with it. .

Recently when I heard CZ would stop making the 550 I grabbed a new spare 375. I then picked up a Zastava in 458 Winchester, it was so much fun I had to order a CZ 458 Lott before they were gone.

The great gun shop I deal with a fair bit found a new CZ 416 Rigby for me as well. Also picked up a Belgium Browning safari in 375 somewhere in there. It is a nice handing rifle as well.

This forum has a lot to do with the big bore bug!

Thanks guys

Craig
IMG_20200804_112442.jpg

I think the .375 H&H #1 should just be something you get issued at a certain age by your father. I love them and they really are useful for just about everything. Unfortunately the Lott bug bit me and I was silly enough to pick up the phone and get one of them too. So here I sit with four wonderful rifles waiting for the opportunity to shoot them more. I'm bittersweet about missing the .416 Rigby train. I feel like I'd never have enough ammunition for it, but it's such a power house, unfortunately the opportunity to use them is the big problem. Only so many hands and so much time.
Forrest,
Your young and if you want a .416 Rigby buy one! The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of the owners of .375 and up everywhere, will NEVER use those rifles hunting a DG animal. Deer, elk, moose, black bear, PG, etc., but not DG. That’s OK though. They’re fun to shoot and reload for, and the DREAM of using it to hunt DG and the POSSIBILITY of doing so sometime in the future are always present and keep us going.
CEH

I think I maybe put mine on hold by booking a 20 day hunt for 2022 and paying for it before any more rifle purchases.
That’s a hard statement when you work at Corlane sporting goods with custom rifles coming going being built trading etc.
Today took my 470NE out with new handloads that look very promising that seems to help lol

Forrest,
Your young and if you want a .416 Rigby buy one! The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of the owners of .375 and up everywhere, will NEVER use those rifles hunting a DG animal. Deer, elk, moose, black bear, PG, etc., but not DG. That’s OK though. They’re fun to shoot and reload for, and the DREAM of using it to hunt DG and the POSSIBILITY of doing so sometime in the future are always present and keep us going.
CEH
Well CEH,
I am probably one of that vast majority. I just like having the .375 and .458. the .416 is a tween that I just don't need. I can't see myself ever really using it properly. I would like to hunt a Buffalo someday. The others really don't interest me at all. In the meantime I will perfect my marksmanship on game in abundance.
Best,
FH

As described in the Muzzleloader forum, I just took delivery of an 8 bore in the style that perhaps Selous and his contemporaries may have used. Just call me "Walter Mitty."

View attachment 363626View attachment 363627

nice looking muzzle loader! may i ask how much it weighs? also, will it handle the traditional elephant loads? (roughly a 1200gr conical over around 270gr of powder)

a while back i had the privilege of shooting an 8 bore paradox gun with a classic paradox bullet and the experience was one ill never forget! ive been dreaming of owning an 8 bore ever since then...

-matt

nice looking muzzle loader! may i ask how much it weighs? also, will it handle the traditional elephant loads? (roughly a 1200gr conical over around 270gr of powder)

a while back i had the privilege of shooting an 8 bore paradox gun with a classic paradox bullet and the experience was one ill never forget! ive been dreaming of owning an 8 bore ever since then...

-matt
The rifle only goes about 11 pounds. I did not order it with the intention of taking it to Africa. As indicated, I wanted a representative example of the mid-19th century guns used by Selous, Baker, etc. I am currently shooting a patched round ball of approximately 820g in front of 120g of FFG - fun to shoot and very manageable recoil.

Well CEH,
I am probably one of that vast majority. I just like having the .375 and .458. the .416 is a tween that I just don't need. I can't see myself ever really using it properly. I would like to hunt a Buffalo someday. The others really don't interest me at all. In the meantime I will perfect my marksmanship on game in abundance.
Best,
FH
Forrest,
I understand completely about the .416 caliber being “tween” a .375 and .458. BUT, if you decide on a .416 for whatever reason in the future, please consider the .416 Taylor. I have one and it’s a very nice cartridge, especially for someone like you that reloads. It fits in a standard long action. With the Taylor sizing die, you place a .458WM case on the shell holder, pull down the reloading press handle once, and you’ve created the Taylor brass! If Winchester hadn’t procrastinated in the ‘70s and ‘80s before the .416 Rem Mag came out in 1989, the Taylor may have eclipsed the Remington’s new addition? Just fodder for thought?

Forrest,
I understand completely about the .416 caliber being “tween” a .375 and .458. BUT, if you decide on a .416 for whatever reason in the future, please consider the .416 Taylor. I have one and it’s a very nice cartridge, especially for someone like you that reloads. It fits in a standard long action. With the Taylor sizing die, you place a .458WM case on the shell holder, pull down the reloading press handle once, and you’ve created the Taylor brass! If Winchester hadn’t procrastinated in the ‘70s and ‘80s before the .416 Rem Mag came out in 1989, the Taylor may have eclipsed the Remington’s new addition? Just fodder for thought?
Sounds very cool. I like to reload. Unfortunately, the .416 is too late to the party. I got a Lee loader kit for .458 Winchester Magnum! Unfortunately .458 WM brass is currently unobtainable due to the antifans and certain lives matter causing a ruckus. So I wait for the ease of the storm tide to play with my kit. I am still on the lookout for a .375 H&H kit. When I find one I will truly be excited. I love making ammunition the slow way. A Ruger No. 1 with a Lee Loader Kit in a big bore is something to cherish forever.

A big thanks to @CoElkHunter for being a bad influence! Apparently I now have a .416!"One of these is not like the others" I said to myself while staring at a .375 bullet sunk down in the case sitting loosely on the powder. I guess it'll neck up to .458 Lott right? :A Stirring:

IMG_20200905_172956001.jpg
IMG_20200905_173050789.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The way i see it:

375 cartridges: a large game cartridge that can work for dangerous game.
416 cartridges: a dangerous game cartridge that can work for large game.

Between the two i prefer the 416 because there is no such thing as "too dead".

-matt

The way i see it:

375 cartridges: a large game cartridge that can work for dangerous game.
416 cartridges: a dangerous game cartridge that can work for large game.

Between the two i prefer the 416 because there is no such thing as "too dead".

-matt
.500/416: a rifle that may work for someone else..
.375: works...
.458: works...

.500/416: a rifle that may work for someone else..
.375: works...
.458: works...

I'm gonna guess you don't like the 500/416 NE?

I was actually referring to the more common 416 cartridges such as the 416 Rigby and the 416 RM (but i still think the 500/416 is a fine cartridge).

In almost every African situation i would take a 416 RM over a 375 H&H but that is just a personal opinion.

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg