Big Bore Addiction Group

Hey you might be onto something there.......Hunting dangerous game with a shotgun slug. For those with a very, very adventurous spirit......:eek:

Not to hijack a thread, but apparently in Russia, and other Eastern Block countries under the control of the former USSR, hunting big bears, as well as other big game species with smooth-bore shotguns and slugs was/is very common amongst the locals because of very severe restrictions on owning rifles there? Apparently, in some former USSR countries, a civilian cannot own a rifle (even something like a .22 LR) until they've owned a shotgun for 5 years?

Anyway, there is a slug called the DDupleks Hexolit 32. These rounds look pretty nasty in theory, but I'm not sure I would trust my life to them, but I guess if that is all you were allowed to hunt with.........maybe.

http://ddupleks.com/index.php/en/1270-cal/hexolit-32.html

Anyway, again sorry for hijacking the thread.....

And I really do love that rifle, especially the floor plate engraving. It will be a lifelong friend of yours I'm sure. I can't wait to see pictures of the finished project.

sorry was joking our birmingham proof fired rental guns are far superior to any baikal .......;)

Foloko - Evidence.jpg
Shotgun x 2.jpg

sorry was joking our birmingham proof fired rental guns are far superior to any baikal .......;)

Is the big pile of meat next to those fine, "English" beauties what's left of the poor sole who pulled the trigger on another one of your "camp guns"?.............:A Blowup::LOL:

Mike you not such a bad mate and partner!! thanks a mill for organizing this rifle for me - can't wait to get it to zambia and can see a buff hunt on the agenda in the near future! ... you think Bluey can look after Takeri while I go hunting?? ha ha

could be........;)

Ah...love it! What an exciting hunt that could be.........."What is going to get me first, the buffalo, or the gun?"

Reminds me of a "famous" quote I once heard somewhere.....somthing about life, chocolates, and never knowing what you're going to get.....

In all seriousness, I admit that I was confused as to who's rifle the beautiful 375 H&H was that is being made. So I stand corrected. Patsy, that is one beautiful rifle you have being made for you. I know you will enjoy it thoroughly........

I saw this thread and I do very much like big bores but have to admit I only have 2 that would be considered such. I have a Winchester model 70 super express in 375 h&h and a Marlin 1895 cowboy in 45/70.

But!, I have a very good friend that is fully infected by the disease and I am able to live vicariously through his addiction.

He has some wonderful rifles and I will try to post some of them over time here. He just made 2 really nice acquisitions in a .577 nitro double and a .450 nitro single that I will post after I get to fondle them at the range.

For today here is his AHR with Montana action in 600 overkill, and a Merkel .500 nitro double.
600overkill005_zpsc0371bce.jpg

Firing of the 600OK
500nitro004_zpsb7715a09.jpg

600ok1_zpsb9fda741.jpg

Attachments

• 500nitro004_zpsb7715a09.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 1,265
  • 600ok1_zpsb9fda741.jpg
    600ok1_zpsb9fda741.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 600overkill005_zpsc0371bce.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 258
I saw this thread and I do very much like big bores but have to admit I only have 2 that would be considered such. I have a Winchester model 70 super express in 375 h&h and a Marlin 1895 cowboy in 45/70.

But!, I have a very good friend that is fully infected by the disease and I am able to live vicariously through his addiction.

He has some wonderful rifles and I will try to post some of them over time here. He just made 2 really nice acquisitions in a .577 nitro double and a .450 nitro single that I will post after I get to fondle them at the range.

For today here is his AHR with Montana action in 600 overkill, and a Merkel .500 nitro double.

Firing of the 600OK

600ok1_zpsb9fda741.jpg
Very nice equipment, is that the recoil from that rifle or is he aiming at an incoming North Korean ICBM

It is recoil caught in action but funny you mention that about North Korean ICBM's my buddy sent this to me the other day;

WWI
In 1914 and early 1915, German snipers were engaging British Army positions with impunity from behind steel plates that were impervious to .303 British ball ammunition. In an attempt to counter this threat, the British War Office purchased 62 large bore sporting rifles from British rifle makers, including 47 .450 caliber rifles, which were issued to Regiments, some British officers also supplied their own.[3]

On one notable occasion, Richard "Dickie" Cooper brought down three Albatros D.III fighters from Ernst Udet's squadron, Jagdstaffel 15, with his Holland & Holland .450 Nitro Express big-game double rifle. Cooper is recorded as saying: "I aimed well ahead of the leader. He came down like a pheasant, as did the one that followed, and I had time to reload and fire again at the third before he passed over - he also crashed."[

It is recoil caught in action but funny you mention that about North Korean ICBM's my buddy sent this to me the other day;

WWI
In 1914 and early 1915, German snipers were engaging British Army positions with impunity from behind steel plates that were impervious to .303 British ball ammunition. In an attempt to counter this threat, the British War Office purchased 62 large bore sporting rifles from British rifle makers, including 47 .450 caliber rifles, which were issued to Regiments, some British officers also supplied their own.[3]

On one notable occasion, Richard "Dickie" Cooper brought down three Albatros D.III fighters from Ernst Udet's squadron, Jagdstaffel 15, with his Holland & Holland .450 Nitro Express big-game double rifle. Cooper is recorded as saying: "I aimed well ahead of the leader. He came down like a pheasant, as did the one that followed, and I had time to reload and fire again at the third before he passed over - he also crashed."[
I'd bet those Luftwaffe pilots were a bit surprised, Leave it to the Brits.

WWI

Well played sir , jolly good show.

Holland & Holland made a very plain 12b Box Lock during WWl with a special patent choke designed for chain shot. This combination was used to shoot at dirigibles and other types lighter that aircraft from airplanes, it even had a hole in the trigger guard to attach it to the interior of the plane

great pictures guys, thanks for posting!

I'm very jealous of your friends AHR 600 OK. I put some serious thought into getting one of those at one point. only reason I went for the 505 Gibbs instead was the weight of the 600.

-matt

The AHR 600 OK is amazing. I like you, already have a 50 caliber bolt action rifle (500 Jeffery). Now when I win the lottery a nice 12 lb Holland and Holland 600 NE would be great addition.

The AHR 600 OK is amazing. I like you, already have a 50 caliber bolt action rifle (500 Jeffery). Now when I win the lottery a nice 12 lb Holland and Holland 600 NE would be great addition.

having shot Cal's 600 NE, i think i would want it to weigh more then 12lb. the rifle i was shooting weighed 18 pounds and still pushed me around plenty. i think 16 pounds is probably a minimum weight for these beasts.

i may own a 600 some day, but i need a 500 NE and a 577 NE first.

-matt

He is real sick, he has a 505 Gibbs too. This friday I am hoping to get my hands on his new 577 nitro double and 450 nitro single gun. There will be photos. This double is a work of art. Stay tuned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg