Big and Tall Clothing Options

Petey J

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Pheasants Forever, Ducks Unlimited, Life Member NRA, North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association
Even though I'm still a few years out for my first safari (probably 2023 or 2024), I'm trying to slowly figure out a lot of gear now, so in some cases I can test it or get comfortable with it.

One of my biggest challenges is clothing; in particular shirts, jackets, and rain gear. I'm a BIG man. 6'4", currently 450 (but working on it), about 68" in chest and around the belly, and all my height is in my torso (only wear a 32" inseam, and I know people 6-8 inches shorter with the same). Depending on the brand it's anywhere from 4XLT to 6XLT.

So does anybody have recommendations for companies that specialize in REALLY big and tall?

OR

What do you really look for in a safari shirt, jacket, and rain gear? Colors? Pockets? Button down? Polo? T-shirt? Multiple layer coats? Hooded sweatshirt with jacket? Rain gear material?

I just wore the same clothes that I wear here in the US for hunting, nothing special.

Rain gear was just the same. I have a great set from Cabela's that I purchased 9 years ago that has gone on a lot of hunt and that I lived in for a week on a hunt up in British Colombia. I took it but never did wear it.

I just wore the same clothes that I wear here in the US for hunting, nothing special.

One difference. In the States I wear camo KUIU gear, in Zim and possibly other places as well they do NOT allow camo gear. Additionally, the material is synthetic and would not do well with the daily ironing.

So, for Africa I switch to 5.11 cotton canvas cargo pants. I still have the TAG shirts I had bought years ago that I use only for Africa as well. Color, I just go green. Rain gear is green military surplus poncho that weighs only 20 oz, have yet to use it in multiple trips but better than being miserable if it rained.

For layers, I have a vest, and a jacket over it. So, I can have 4 layers at sunup and gradually get down to two.

Even though I'm still a few years out for my first safari (probably 2023 or 2024), I'm trying to slowly figure out a lot of gear now, so in some cases I can test it or get comfortable with it.

One of my biggest challenges is clothing; in particular shirts, jackets, and rain gear. I'm a BIG man. 6'4", currently 450 (but working on it), about 68" in chest and around the belly, and all my height is in my torso (only wear a 32" inseam, and I know people 6-8 inches shorter with the same). Depending on the brand it's anywhere from 4XLT to 6XLT.

So does anybody have recommendations for companies that specialize in REALLY big and tall?

OR

What do you really look for in a safari shirt, jacket, and rain gear? Colors? Pockets? Button down? Polo? T-shirt? Multiple layer coats? Hooded sweatshirt with jacket? Rain gear material?
Petey J
Cammo is not allowed in some countries, I was told just wear plain tan or khaki
IMG_20190908_171308.jpg

This is what I wore in Namibia as you can see blend well
Cheers mate
Bob

Petey J
Cammo is not allowed in some countries, I was told just wear plain tan or khaki
View attachment 345158
This is what I wore in Namibia as you can see blend well
Cheers mate
Bob
Greens are better.. Tan or light browns reflect and are very visible to animals... Dark blue is trending now, but I have not tried it.. I just go with the green.

Just wear what you normally would hunt in here. Some like synthetic new age stuff but in that generally dry and sometimes hot environment I like all cotton or a cotton blend. Fairly loose fit is good for air circulation and movement. Darker tans, browns and OD greens are the norm. Just squint your eyes at the material and if it is brighter/lighter than average outdoor environment or is shiny, then it's not the best. Camo is OK if "legal" or not frowned upon by local gov entities. I have never observed a big deal about camo but certainly ask your PH or outfitter about that.

Depends on when and where you go, but it can be dang cold at night and early morning... I've been very cold at times (and I come from a seasonally very cold climate). Tough shell wind breaker with layers and gloves- good idea. Knit clothes don't mix well with wait-a-bit :)

These are some shirts and a 3-in-1 jacket I have found that might work (I'll probably get a couple of them to try fit and feel).

Do most folks do long sleeve and roll up when warm, or go short sleeve?

Pants wise, I like the fit and feel of a few different styles from Bass Pro in their work pants line of rip stop fabric.

Do shooting side breast pockets bother other folks when shooting?
1179_06279_mc_0290.jpeg
1179_47524_mc_0556.jpeg
1179_06276_mc_5258.jpeg
1179_06276_mc_0280.jpeg
Drake-Flyweight-Wingshooters-Shirt-Olive-LS.jpeg
1162_12691_mc_0325.jpeg

My shirts roll up and then they have a clasp that holds them up. The shooting shoulder (left for me) has padding but no pockets. If going for rip-stop fabric make sure you tell the laundry people not to iron them.

upload_2020-4-30_18-48-37.png

Not traditional safari clothing but DXL carries clothing that would serve you well. https://www.dxl.com/mens-big-and-tall-store
I wear 2XLT and have gotten nice stuff from them.
Although “traditional” safari clothing looks cool, it’s not needed. Get some cotton shirts and cargo pants in OD or a dark khaki. They will do just fine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 8.53.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 8.53.08 AM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 89
I just wore a camo T shirt under my long sleeve shirt that I wore in the morning then I just took the top shirt off when it warmed up.

As for a heavy jacket, I took one but never wore it. A light jacket was fine in the morning.

I was hunting north of Port Elizabeth the last half of May

One thing I'd encourage is to get a test outfit, slacks, shirt, shoes etc. and walk with them some miles in similar terrain to see how comfortable you are. Then based on results you can adjust or buy a few sets of the same thing.

Bug sprays last about 5-6 washings, so if you are going on a 14 day hunt you need at least 3 sets of clothes. I use this.

upload_2020-4-30_19-18-37.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdwinaHedr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you