Biden’s Elephant Protection Efforts Are Likely To Backfire

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

The Biden administration is considering making American hunters clear new hurdles to legally import African elephant hunting trophies. Supporters claim the new rules will better protect elephants by forcing other countries to generate redundant scientific studies and adopt laws in the mold of our Endangered Species Act. But the hurdles also risk discouraging American hunters, many of them from Texas, whose fees help fund elephant conservation. The move could starve African wildlife agencies of funding critical to elephant conservation.

While there are opportunities to improve how elephant hunting is managed, strangling wildlife agency budgets is likely to hurt elephants more than it helps. Smaller budgets mean reduced anti-poaching efforts and decreased ability to maintain habitat. Until other sources to fund these important conservation activities are found, the Biden administration should not impose rules that would make Africa a less attractive destination for American hunters.

Continue...

Screenshot_57.jpg

I'm no elephant hunter nor have a desire to hunt one, but DAMN, hunting dollars do way more good for wildlife management and conservation than any anti dollar ever did. I'm also confident that not a soul on slow Joe's administration has a clue what wildlife management, conservation and protection really is.....

How can Bidens administration tell another country how to manage, in Bidens proposed case, damage the elephant populatiion in another country/countries......

For an administration that tells everyone to follow the science, they certainly don’t practice what they preach! The antis are going to love the wildlife until there is no wildlife left to love. This is what you get when you manage and legislate with feelings and not brains.

For an administration that tells everyone to follow the science, they certainly don’t practice what they preach! The antis are going to love the wildlife until there is no wildlife left to love. This is what you get when you manage and legislate with feelings and not brains.
Yep

USFWS needs to recognize the overpopulation of elephant in Southern Africa. This alone displays their complete lack of common sense and disregard for wildlife management. They are preservationists, not conservationists. Which means they are actually insane. How do you deal with insanity?
Fundamentally we need a complete overhaul of the ESA. No one is talking about this.
Philip

What a shame. Right now we are overrun with elephants. We only receive a limited number of permits. As a result the only thing that will limit the number of elephant and hippo killed in our area will be the number or rounds that CAMPFIRE has in their armory at this time. They sure as hell are not getting any from us.

I'm impressed that such a logical article went to print. Even more so since it looks like the Dallas Morning News sought out Catherine Semcer to write about it. She and PERC have long been a voice of reason within conservation. I'm glad that they have the stamina to continue to repeat themselves. This information needs to be out there and we need to remind people of it.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service has morphed from a pragmatic service that followed the science, to a sorority of flakes driven by diversity, inclusion and climate change agendas. As such, they have become a strong anti-hunting force. Their director, and two of the other 3 senior managers, were token appointments for reasons other than competence. Don't expect any common sense actions from this group of clowns. The Administration will have to be changed before this House can be cleaned. JMO.............FWB

The US Fish and Wildlife Service has morphed from a pragmatic service that followed the science, to a sorority of flakes driven by diversity, inclusion and climate change agendas. As such, they have become a strong anti-hunting force. Their director, and two of the other 3 senior managers, were token appointments for reasons other than competence. Don't expect any common sense actions from this group of clowns. The Administration will have to be changed before this House can be cleaned. JMO.............FWB
I’ve mentioned this before but I guess it’s worth mentioning again. My father worked for the USFWS back in the 50’s & 60’s. Back then it was a science based service full of hunters and fishermen that wanted to give back to the resources. I had quite of few friends that worked for them but were told to not talk about their hunting as it may cause friction with the non hunters, all but one are retired now. The one that isn’t runs a refuge and like me he doesn’t much care what others think.
I visited my dads retired best friend on my way to Virginia to hunt swan with one of my friends in the service and he was extremely surprised when I told him I was hunting swan with a senior member of the USFWS migratory bird office. He said not many hunters left in the service. This was back in the late 90’s and I doubt it’s going to get any better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross