Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
Hunted
MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
Here is another one of those questions from a first time African hunter.

I prefer to wear brown or camo bib overalls when hunting in cool or cold weather, but I never see anyone wearing bibs in their safari photos. I'm hunting SA in August so the weather should be cool so my bibs would be perfect. Is their a reason not to wear bibs in the bushveld or is it just a personal preference?

If its cold enough wear them ... but don't expect to have to wear them. The PH is used to hunting in warmer weather than you if you hunt in bib overalls, so if it is cold enough to wear the overalls, he is wearing everything he owns and will be walking a good bit to stay warm. It got to about 30 F 3 mornings when I was there and I never wore any thing heavier than wrangler brushguard jeans for pants (my PH did state several times that he couldn't wear anymore and still get in and out of the truck!!). I wore what I would on a Texas deer stand at 50 F and I was a little cool ... but never cold ... when we stayed in the shadow in the morning to glass the east-facing slopes.

I carried a second layer (insulated rain, wind, whatever) that happened to be a bib style with me but never used them.

I have hunted southern Africa several times in July or August. A few mornings were cold enough to freeze water bottles left in the truck overnight. But by noon every day I was in shirt sleeves. A lot of those cold mornings I was wearing shorts with a fleece jacket until the cold burned off. Unless you are down near the Cape or up really high during an unusually cold spell, I think bibs will be overkill. You will, however, be making a fashion statement! :)

my first trip to S.A. was in late July into early August it was freezing early mornings ,riding in the back of a truck going to the hides was cold, I wore my coveralls and they felt good. some of the hides were 3/4 below ground built out rock never did get what I called hot. when you get out side after 10 am it was warm. next time was first two weeks of SEPT, little cool but got hot quick. better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them. Forrest

I also insulated bibs would be too much but straight bibs no problem! Like others gave said when it's gets to be around 10 am you will want to come out of them. Cabelas has hunting pants that the bottoms zip off that you might want to look at.

Oops my bad, I should have said uninstalled bibs from Duluth trading company.

Those will work fine. Most outfitters stop for lunch or go back to the lodge around noon so you could change out of them!

Every time a guy in camo walks into the bush, a bushbuck sheds a tear like that 1970s commercial of the Indian viewing litter on the side of the road. Hah!

All jokes aside, you're going to the dark continent so why not bring some reverence for the experience and dress the part?

Bias confession: I wear tweed and tie when bird hunting and I cringe at camo...I'm a bit pompous. :)

But seriously, why wear something non-traditional that looks bad, doesn't match the surroundings, and is a symbol in most of Africa that you're a guerrilla militant that needs to be shot at? What would Capstick and Selous do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.