Beware Fake Uber Drivers When Arriving in South Africa - Safari Club

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
International travelers going to South Africa should beware fake Uber drivers soliciting fares at Cape Town International Airport and Johannesburg’s OR Tambo International Airport. Individuals holding up an Uber placard have popped up just outside the arrivals terminal, approaching travelers holding their cell phones. These individuals are not Uber drivers, but private and likely unauthorized or unlicensed taxi drivers.

Here are some tips to prevent compromising your personal security when using transportation services while traveling:

• Prearrange meet-and-greet and transport services through a safari operator, hotel or other tourism organizer.
  • Rides with Uber and other app-based services can only be arranged through the application on a cell phone. Anyone holding up an Uber sign at the arrivals terminal of an airport is an imposter.
  • Taxi and shuttle services, including the app-based ones, are typically required to wait outside in a staging area and pick up passengers in a separate designated area. They cannot solicit rides inside the terminal.
  • When using an app-based service, make sure you’re getting into the right car by matching the license plate, car make and model, and driver photo with what’s provided in your app.
  • Ask the driver to confirm your name before you get in the car. Your driver sees your first name in their app, and your driver’s first name is displayed to you in your app. To safely exchange names, ask, “Who are you here to pick up?” The driver may also ask you to confirm their name.
Other forms of transport, such as authorized taxi and shuttle services, in South Africa and elsewhere typically have branded kiosks inside the terminal building along with visible signage or branding identifying them as legitimate transportation services.

While one may think an unauthorized “private” transporter would charge less than the licensed or otherwise recognized operator, that may not be the case, and the security risk is significant. Don’t be a victim.

For more advice on transportation services while traveling in Africa, see the upcoming May 2022 issue of Safari Times.

Screenshot_60.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for sharing this information

It's always a good idea to verify that a taxi driver is legitimate no matter the country. Too many possibilities for mischief otherwise.

Just my opinion, but as far as I'm concerned Uber is just an unlicensed taxi service anyway. Same goes for Lyft. To me "ride sharing" means that I pay for 1/2 the cost of fuel, or offer to spring for lunch. It is beyond me why governments allow them to operate; the real taxi-drivers must be livid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross