Best time for Namibia - Maltahoehe

ofbiro

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
RSA Namibia
Three friends are trying to tow me to Namibia. The idea is a cull hunt in Maltahoehe.
Questions to the colleagues:
1. When is the best time in the year?
2. If the choosen month is June, is better at the beginning or toward the end?
3. What about security? I understand the situation worsened. Are camps safe?
4. Which kind of ground/vegetation is there? Open ground or savannah bushes?
5. What to choose among .30-06 (short barrel, 150 meters max. due to coarse reticle and parallax), 7x64 and 7 mm Rem. Mag.?

Thanks in advance

Three friends are trying to tow me to Namibia. The idea is a cull hunt in Maltahoehe.
Questions to the colleagues:
1. When is the best time in the year?
2. If the choosen month is June, is better at the beginning or toward the end?
3. What about security? I understand the situation worsened. Are camps safe?
4. Which kind of ground/vegetation is there? Open ground or savannah bushes?
5. What to choose among .30-06 (short barrel, 150 meters max. due to coarse reticle and parallax), 7x64 and 7 mm Rem. Mag.?

Thanks in advance

What are you hunting?

I would spend less time thinking about it and more time planning it with your friends!
Any of June, July, August and September will be good.
I don't know about the security but I've been to Namibia twice, shortly to return for the third time and have never encountered any security or safety issues.
Stay sensible as you would at home but from that point of view, Namibia is arguably the safest country on the African continent.
I expect the ground will be a mix of bush and open plains and hilly.
I would take the 7mm magnum out of the choices listed but ideally you should take the rifle you shoot best and most accurately.

I would spend less time thinking about it and more time planning it with your friends!
Any of June, July, August and September will be good.
I don't know about the security but I've been to Namibia twice, shortly to return for the third time and have never encountered any security or safety issues.
Stay sensible as you would at home but from that point of view, Namibia is arguably the safest country on the African continent.
I expect the ground will be a mix of bush and open plains and hilly.
I would take the 7mm magnum out of the choices listed but ideally you should take the rifle you shoot best and most accurately.

Yep this about covers it! Book it!

7mm rem magnum for sure...May June July and August would be OK months.

7mm rem magnum for sure...May June July and August would be OK months.

Bring a jacket, it does get chilly in Namibia.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Now I have another question. I had good results on roe and chamois with my 7mm Rem.Mag. and Barnes TSX-TTSX 140 grains bullets. Which weight do you suggest for oryx with the same type of bullet? Is 150 grs enough or have I to jump to 160 grs (shooting a bit less flat)?
Thanks in advance.

Lots of us here really like the TTSX bullets. Get whatever shoots well in your rifle 140 gr and up. That will do the trick. Plan on the possibility of shots out to 300 yds. Practice off of shooting sticks. That will help you on your safari. Then go have a blast. Bruce

If you are hunting oryx I would go on the side of caution and use the heaviest bullets your rifle shoots accurately.
No doubt a 140gr bullet will kill an oryx but I would suggest something heavier.
Other folks here will have different opinions but that is mine.
Last year I used 165gr bullets in my 30-06 and I killed two oryx. One took a second shot even though it was mortally wounded.
This year I'm going with 180gr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,