Best season for hunting buffalo at Bubye Valley Conservancy (BVC), Zimbabwe?

Unlucky I'd say!! I've poked around in most of the subdivisions. I've been there in "both" seasons- heavy vegetation after rains and sparse vegetation later on. Matter of fact I much prefer hunting after heavy rains and when the animals are healthy and fat- no matter the vegetation. The major downside is potential for bugs especially ticks! Haven't noticed any difference in hunting/finding buffalo or any game. There are plenty of buffalo there! Hey, they do leave sign and tracks no matter the water and vegetation :)

I just finished hunting at the BVC, unfortunately didn‘t get a buffalo. Allegedly there are around 7,000 buffalo on the property, however during seven days we only saw 50-60, on two days none at all.

In the northern parts the bush was very thick whereas in the south one could see in any directions. Lots of zebra and giraffe, quite a number of impala. Otherwise tiny numbers of other species, i e kudu, warthog, waterbuck etc.
Who has been to BVC very recently, how were the sightings?

I think your expectations of amazing game density is not practical. 50-60 buffalo in a week of hunting is a very, very, very solid number. If you mean one herd of 59 cows and calves and then one dugga boy separately, that would be unfortunate.

To get game densities you're looking for it doesn't exist in nature except for seasonally when there is an abundance or lack of resources. (e.g. lots of food over here and only over here, no water anywhere but these three pans, etc.)

BVC is about as good as it gets my friend unless you want a fenced hunt in RSA.

To put a twist on your question, I wouldn't be as concerned about "when is there bigger game densities" as much as I'd be concerned with "when is the foliage off the trees but not yet so dry on the ground you're walking on corn flakes with every step"?

In Zim, normally June-July is perfect conditions for buffalo hunting as the cover is down. This year, they've had very unusual late rains that kept the landscape lush. If I was going to hunt Zim for Buffalo this year I'd be thinking about August-September.

I have hunted out of every camp on the BVC/Lemco. There are a lot of Buffalo but if I was a paying Safari client,I would only hunt July onwards. There are also a lot of Lions now. That a lot of steaks and hamburgers.

I think your expectations of amazing game density is not practical. 50-60 buffalo in a week of hunting is a very, very, very solid number. If you mean one herd of 59 cows and calves and then one dugga boy separately, that would be unfortunate.
There was only a small amount of bulls, the others were members of two small herds.

I have nothing special to add to the BVC as I have never hunted in this area. Years ago I was hunting 2 times easterly on the border of the Gonarezhou NP.

In general I can say that with regard to the season, the local conditions and also the presence of buffalo, you get sometimes nothing. It all depends on a lot of factors, among other things the local conditions independently of the season and sometimes also the hunter. There are no absolute rules, IMHO each unsuccessful hunt must be discussed individually. I speak from personal experience.

Last edited:
I have nothing special to add to the BVC as I have never hunted in this area. Years ago I was hunting 2 times easterly on the border of the Gonarezhou NP.
Three years ago I’ve hunted at Sengwe 1 near Gonarezhou NP. We didn’t see a single buffalo but countless cattle with bells hanging from their necks.

I would think that the late rains along with the 500 odd lion meant that buffalo were concentrated in the thicker rain fed vegetation. Being out in the open section would leave them without cover and abundance of food. Seems logical that they would be concentrated in the thicker stuff.

Finding them in the thicker stuff would would be a lot harder too.

Think you may just have been S.O.L... as you know it happens.

I can't comment on the Bubye, but I just returned from a buffalo hunt in the Savé Conservancy during the last week of May. It was a wonderful hunt despite the early season. The bush and grass were thick, but so were the buffalo. We had no trouble finding buffalo. They were in large herds and not elusive. They were very difficult to see clearly. We approached herds of 40-100 animals several times. We had to get in very close, and it was exciting. I was on the sticks three times the first day, didn't have a perfect clear shot so waited for more opportunities. My brother and I took two very nice bulls in the first four days hunting.
P1010106.jpeg

I can't comment on the Bubye, but I just returned from a buffalo hunt in the Savé Conservancy during the last week of May. It was a wonderful hunt despite the early season. The bush and grass were thick, but so were the buffalo. We had no trouble finding buffalo. They were in large herds and not elusive. They were very difficult to see clearly. We approached herds of 40-100 animals several times. We had to get in very close, and it was exciting. I was on the sticks three times the first day, didn't have a perfect clear shot so waited for more opportunities. My brother and I took two very nice bulls in the first four days hunting.
View attachment 471385

@Longwalker When can we expect a detailed report? Sounds like you and your brother had a grand hunt.

@Longwalker When can we expect a detailed report? Sounds like you and your brother had a grand hunt.
We did have a great hunt, but the report will have to wait for a bit unless my brother beats me to it. Tomorrow I'm off to my remote bush camp in northern BC for a month, and posting from there is not really practical.

Mopane, seems to me this episode is really sitting on your mind a lot.
The time you went of the year isn't the best but not impossible with some luck and hard work.

I have never been to BVC but have been to quite a few areas in Africa.
Would you deny and outfitter a client to come over and hunt to make some money even if he knows hunting will be tough?
The Tip episode was a bit much I must admit.
Rain this year, Southern Africa have been blessed and it was much needed after the years of drought. It was unusual and very late but when hot the bulls will wallow in mud and water.
The buff was probarbly spread about as much as they could as there was feed and water everywhere.

Buff dont have to travel large distances for food and water so will stay put if not disturbed.
This all adds up with a bit of bad luck on your side it can make or break a trip.

I spend 4 days chasing buff cow on a 2500 acres Farm in the lowveld in April and did not connect went back August and got lucky.
Went after waterbuck bull thei late April in the waterberg mountains bush was so thick and feed everywhere animals didnt move. I went home empty handed.
2nd July I'm off again for round no. 2

I dont call myself an avg skilled hunter but even I go home without finding my target.

If I was you and going to spend a good amount of money to hunt on a trip I would really do my homework and make sure I align everything as best as possible.

I'm sure you will be smiling from ear to ear in September.

August September October

At the BVC I won’t hunt again, there were too many issues.

For decades I’m touring Kruger National Park, as a nature guide and with family and friends. Hence I’m very familar with Kruger’s bufallo population. Timbavati and Klaserie are part of Greater Kruger which means the properties have open boundries with famous Kruger National Park. It shouldn’t be too difficult finding a real old dagga boy at one of the private reserves…

I along with others have hunted the BVC with no issues.

No one should go to the BVC with expectations of the game out in the open and standing still waiting to be hunted. In order to hunt the Dugga Boys you have to get out of the truck and track and hunt sometimes for hours. Long Siestas take away valuable hunting time and you must be in shape and willing to put in the miles.

When its time to take the shot be ready and watch your movements. These Buffalo don't stand around like SA Buff used to tourists/people, they are switched on. If you are hunting for a particular type of Bull and pass on Bulls that don't meet that requirement, then there could be times when you don't take an animal.

The PH's that hunt that area are experienced and some are the very tops in the industry. Listen to what they have to say and take their advice. They want you to be successful and known way more than you about the game and the hunting. Even the trackers offer valuable input and besides they work very hard to take care of the clients. Everyone I have ever encountered in the BVC have gone out of their way to take care of my family and myself. That includes the camp staff.

Americans are known for tipping too much, Europeans are not. Tipping is a tradition in every camp I have ever hunted or fished from the Yukon to Africa. Some places expect a tip, I have never had a Zim PH ask for a tip for himself and strongly doubt any of the BVC PH's ever would. Tipping is discretionary and is up to the individual.

If the subject were to ever come up, it will concern the staff, especially the trackers, and the advice will likely be this is the industry guideline but the amounts are up to the individual. I need envelopes at the end of my hunt's and write the names of each person on the envelope and place an amount in there myself for each one, then personally hand it to the individual. I do what I think is fair.

Does the BVC have too many Lions, yes. Someone please help them reduce the number. Does the BVC have lots of Buffalo, yes. Go after July or for me in September and you will get to pick and choose. You want to just shoot lots of anything in a short time, go to SA. You want to have a good hunt, PH's, camps and overall experience I choose Zim and will go back to the BVC.

At the BVC I won’t hunt again, there were too many issues.

For decades I’m touring Kruger National Park, as a nature guide and with family and friends. Hence I’m very familar with Kruger’s bufallo population. Timbavati and Klaserie are part of Greater Kruger which means the properties have open boundries with famous Kruger National Park. It shouldn’t be too difficult finding a real old dagga boy at one of the private reserves…
Is it possible that being a tour guide at a national park and the animal behaviour that differs from hunting areas (especially wild areas) might have given you unrealistic expectations? This question is more or less rhetorical of course

Is it possible that being a tour guide at a national park and the animal behaviour that differs from hunting areas (especially wild areas) might have given you unrealistic expectations? This question is more or less rhetorical of course
Not really. I have a masters degree in forestry, one of the main subjects: wildlife management. Passed the Northern Transvaal (now Limpopo province) PH exams.

What sort of issues Mopane? Not argueing with you, just to me Kruger park and surrounds are not really wild. Animals are habituated to cars- in timbavati to the point that vehicles go out and find animals before calling in the game drive and vehicles. But you can find big old dagga boys there for sure- but i would say less wild than areas in botswana/ zimbabwe /zambia/ Tanzania

The BVC has some great buffalo...often single dagga boys....I will be there next weekend and again in Feb.....
Search for hunts in BVC here and you will see some of the bulls....huge area

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross