Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NWTF, RMEF
Hunted
Eastern Cape, Kalahari, Zimbabwe, Namibia
I will be hunting for Leopard in Namibia in July. I plan on using a Browning A-Bolt 338 which currently has a Leupold Var-X III 4.5 x 14 with a heavy reticle scope today. What scope would you recommend for this hunt? I want to make sure I am properly armed for this hunt and open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance for your input.

Congrats and best of luck on your upcoming hunt! Who will you be hunting with?
I believe you would be well served with a medium power variable scope from a high quality manufacturer with a lit reticle. Something like any one of the following:

Leupold VX-6 2-12x
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-6hd-2-12x42mm

Swarovski Z6i 2.5-15x
https://www.swarovskioptik.com/hunt...-c20051006/z6i-2p5-15x56-p-bt-l-4w-i-p5006186

Night Force 3.5-15x
http://nightforceoptics.com/nxs/3-5-15x50

Your existing scope isn’t a terrible choice. However, the scopes listed above (and many others) will gather light better and a lit reticle is a big plus.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 10.04.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 10.04.19 PM.png
    818.9 KB · Views: 218
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 10.04.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 10.04.28 PM.png
    702.1 KB · Views: 198
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 10.04.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 10.04.36 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 200
Thanks for the info. I will be hunting with Thormahlen & Cochran.

Look, I know nothing about hunting leopard, other than what I learned from my PH - Gideon, with Westfalen Safaris. However, I have shot other game that had potentially harmful intent. I would have a concern hunting leapord, with a scope that had minimum magnification if 4.5. If the shit goes south, you want to see more than a blur of spots at close range...
Also, considering that your shooting opportunities are most likely going to be in marginal light, I would opt for an illuminated reticle. Check out Leupold's offerings, such as the VX5 2-10 illuminated.

My guess is you will be in a Hide. There is NO NEED to spend a fortune on a scope. I would highly recommend a variable in the 3-9 range but with a lighted reticle. Anything in the 7mm-30 cal with quick opening bullets will work. I used a 140 gr. partition in a .264 Win Mag. Good Luck

This is what I used on my 300 wm last May, with a lighted duplex reticle. Worked perfectly. I shot my cat at night, but even if you are in an area where it must be taken in daylight, it is very likely to be very last light. If the shot might be at night, I would also strongly encourage you to practice shooting at night with an artificial light before you go. If you have never done it, you don't want to be learning with a trophy fee on the line, or cause a follow-up on a wounded kitty! I also mounted mine in QD rings, in case "the sh_t went south". I don't have irons on that rifle, but a scoped rifle isn't worth much in a close range scuffle with a wounded cat in thick brush. Of course my ph had a double rifle with a mounted flashlight, but I thought I could be of at least some use with my unscoped 300.

Thankfully, the cat was dead 20 yards from the tree!

Was just watching DSC’s Tracks Across Africa and Dave Fulson stated that a lighted reticle is mandatory for leopard hunting. I have many Leupold scopes with the red dot and think they should all have it.
Philip

Trijicon AccuPoint 3-9 x 40 (other magnifications available) Illuminated reticle. I preferred the green Triangle post as I think if showed up the best for me. Not super expensive. Best of Luck!

I'm also supporting lighted reticle. One important thing is to be able to adjust the light to be dim enough in dark conditions. If the reticle is too bright, then you will not be able to shoot (accurately). This might be an issue at least in the cheaper scopes. Also remember to set the brightness in dim conditions before going into the blind.

I shot my leopard with Zeiss Victory HT 3-12x56 and it performed well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg