Best SA hunts??

I would keep an open mind and trust the PH, shoot whatever he judges is a good trophy.

Within your budget, of course !

I used a 300 WM on my hunt. I am just starting to work on a light load using a 147-165 gr FMJ to use on the little antelope. My first attempt using 165 gr shoots 3 inches lower at 100 yds than my 200 gr load and chronographs at 2100 fps. Might work, but I've got a year to play.

Solids work very well on the little guys. I shot both my Steinbok and duiker with a 375 H&H solid. One hole in one hole out. Very little damage to the hide/cape, and a very dead antelope. :eek:

Do you think an Accubond would be good enough as a "solid" or should I have a Barnes TSX load with me in case?

Both of those bullets are expanding bullets and you risk "blowing up " your cape/hide. remind me again what caliber of gun you are planning to hunt with?

My primary for the larger animals will be a 28 nosler. I was planning on taking a 270wsm as my backup but I also have a 270win and 25-06 that I could take as my second rifle.

I've never had an exit larger than a quarter with a Barnes TSX but all of this shots were vital hits and didn't hit large anounts of bone.

A quarter sized hole certainly would be no problem. The idea is a solid or mostly solid bullet that does not expand (or does not expand much) or comes apart causing major damage to your animals skin. Not sure what else is available for you to load with the 28 nosler but I think there are some FMJ type bullets available for the 270. You will want the non-expanding option with both guns as you won't know what gun you have in your hand when you run across them. Taxidermists can sew and fix stuff so don't worry to much.

I'll likely stick with a bonded expanding as an all-arounder and hope to not have much damage rather than solids.

All those calibers you mention are fast and will blow holes if you hit bone or a full rumen on a little guy with an expanding bullet. But go with a tough bonded or tsx and aim behind the shoulder on litelevision guys.

Too bad on bushbuck, leave gemsbuck oryx for Namibia unless you see a real whopper. Forget lechwe from your list as you mentioned, expensive and easy hunt in the EC. And I would leave blue wildebeest for Limpopo or another indigenous area.

If you want a tough hunt, vaal rhebok and klipspringer. But you may not have enough days. Mountain reedbuck is fun and usually reasonable. Steenbok and duiker are challenging enough. But you will have to insist as not high priced and often seen as oppertunty animal by PH'S.

Zebra or red hartebeest and black Wildebeest are great options! Black Wildebeest in the right open areas and herded up are fun and challenging. Just picking out the best trophy is tricky. Then they will run inot a figure 8 to make a cloud of dust, then run out the other side and over the next hill.

How in the hell did an animal evolve to throw smoke grenades to cover their retreat? Hahaha

Thanks for the great advice.

The only reason I would take a Gemsbok is if there is a big bull found. Would be cool though as I already have a 36" cow from here in NM. Would be cool to take one in America and Africa.

The black wildebeest is sounding more like a fun option for sure the more people tell me about them.

One of the things I'm struggling with most is whether or not to include Nyala. It's a "trophy" species at this ranch meaning it must be reserved 3 months out and could cost 2,200$ which is a big part of my budget.

Nyala would be one if it is big as in 28" plus I would take but the cape is not what I would say is the best area for them. Nyala can be taken on most hunts in most areas. Something dont sound right to me that they must be reserved three month before. Either a place has a quote or not and sounds like they may stock them as needed.

The right area down there you just may find a oryx bull 36" plus. Any area you normally hunt black wildebeest will have oryx to.

It is a shame no bushbuck to go after but I would really think about a mtn reedbuck and steenbuck then.Shoud be able to get both of them for cost of bushbuck

Billc, you're spot on about the nyala. Certain animals on the place are quota based, hence the reason for reserving some of the animals.

I've heard from a lot of people that the mountain reedbuck is a lot of fun and I'm pretty sure it'll make the list.

I would skip the Nyala unless you like order buying your trophies. Sounds to me like they go out and buy one and plant it for you to shoot. Do you want it kept in the corral by the house or in the back 40?

It does not sound like you want that type of deal. Quota is where the animals are on public land and such. Or self imposed. But if it is true quota it would likely be annual. Sounds like a put and take operation.

I don't think it's a "put and take" operation. He's managing his herd and only takes a certain amount of animals out of an area each year. Hence the quota.

I don't think it's a "put and take" operation. He's managing his herd and only takes a certain amount of animals out of an area each year. Hence the quota.

Surely he can organize to hunt a bull on a neighboring concession?

That is a shame no bushbuck! Man they are fun to hunt and a beautiful little animal. I wouldn't lock into anything, if you get two or three more, I would go with a combination of blue or black wildebeest, red hartebeest, and zebra. I would talk to the PH and see what has the best trophy potential. Kind of take what Africa gives you. MTN reedbuck would be fun and personally i think waterbuck is a very underrated trophy. Either way you are going to have some fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisabeth1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross