Best Rifle for all Deer hunting

Bullsbar

Reaction score
Hi im new here. I like to know what rifle will you all suggest to shoot "most" deer. Example Kudu, Gemsbuck, waterbuck etc. A friend told me 308 will be able to shoot most but like to get more suggestions for you all thanks.

The question is comparable to what vehicle is best to drive two people in all situations. The result of many compromises and as with all compromises, optimum precludes best.

Well looking at recommendations because i am in africa and all farms here is just hunting and i have to buy rifle. I have to look at distance, reload, accuracy and able to shoot most deer.

Cover all your bases 375HH and if you re-load you can use anything from 200g to 350g

If this is your first rifle I would go with 6.5x55, 7x57 or 308. All of these will take the game you mentioned. Recoil goes up with caliber size but none are hard to manage.

If you have handled firearms before, and don't mind a bit of recoil, a step up gives you a bit "more of a good thing" such as 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag. Again recoil goes up in that order too. Good hunting.

Welcome to AH. In my opinion , your friend was correct for the most part. While the 308 is capable of taking the deer sized game you mentioned the shot would have to be broadside especially on the kudu and waterbuck. Because of that I would consider the 308 to be marginal at best. I think your best bet is a 7 x 57 or a 30 -06. Even with these loads you will want to use a premium bullet and be very cognizant of your shot placement.

Most antelope! Yup, nothing the 308 can't take care of in that group.

.30-06 or if you include elk and kudu .300 win mag. I think I started with .30-06 when I weighed 150 lbs. oh those were the days!!!!! Now .300 win mag you can shoot everything. Am I mean everything. Maybe not legally in Africa in some countries but everything. (Ok not elephant)

So you mention deer size game, but I'm glad you clarified African game. Here in North America, the .30-30 has killed more whitetail than anyone could imagine.

With that said, I wouldn't recommend it in Africa.

I agree with most that the .30-06 would be the favored all around cartridge, as ammunition is plentiful in most of the world, and it does a good job on most game. My only guidance beyond that would be to not shoot further than 250-300 yards. After that, the bullet tends to lose power and drift exponentially.

For game at further distances, .300 Win Mag or .338 Lapua, but the cost of the tool and ammo are costly. Also, you may not be able to easily find ammo is Africa.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Wide open question with many options. An overall good caliber for most deer or antelope species around the world in my opinion is a .300 win mag

our ph said his go to cartridge (exclusive of dangerous game and needing to stop an animal in his tracks in one shot) was the 300 wm. used one in namibia to take kudu, eland and impala. all one shot and recovery was short and quick.

The 308win is just fine.
Also the 30-06/260rem/6.5X55/7-08/7mm mag/264win mag/300mag/338win mag/25-06/257W/257R and I am sure a bunch of others would wok well.
Just get the 308win and learn to shoot it.
My daughter shot the animals you listed and much more in Africa as well as deer and pigs in the USA. EVERY animal died with one shot and NO tracking. She shoots a 257Roberts with my handloaded 120gr Swift A-Frame bullets. It is deadly and a mild recoil rifle.
In Africa I took more than you listed with the same results as my daughter, except 2 which we tracked about 80 yards, using a 338win mag and A-Frame bullets. I have also taken other game animals in the USA with all the other cartridges I listed plus a few more.

Bottom line is the 308(or many other) cartridge will work just fine in Africa and world wide when using good bullets and you being able to place the shot correctly. Using a larger and harder kicking rifle that you may not shoot as well is a big mistake.

The difference between a 308 and a 30-06 is negligible in a hunting situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg