Ed Lally

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, Canada, South Africa
My Krieghoff Classic in .470 NE is a lot of fun to shoot, however 8 rounds and I am thinking I might shoot my .375 H&H or my .300 Weatherby for a while. A possible solution is to replace the recoil pad with a KickEEZ or a Limbsaver. I have done a bit of research on each but desire info from those who have used these products. If you have experience with a different product, please share that as well.

I favor the Limbsaver, but have Kick eez also - both seem to do a good job on big bores.

Irony is that my 1886 45-90 has no recoil pad, just a curved metal butt plate and it has never even bruised me once I learned how to mount it properly.

I really like the pachmayr magnum pads.. even softer than the decellerator pad.. and I find they hold up a little better than the limbsaver...

I just put a pachmayr magnum on my goose gun... shooting 3 1/2” 12 gauge BB rounds a box at a time is no problem...

On my 375 H&H and 416 Taylor I have the standard decellerator.. they work great for that level of recoil..

My 585 Huble is definitely getting a magnum pad though..

I recently replaced the KickEez recoil pad on my .470 as it began to deteriorate quite quickly - splits appearing. I put a Decelerator on it, as I have had good results and long life with these pads on a number of bolt guns that have had extensive use over many years.

I have decelerators on my .458 Lott and .375. I’ve been pleased with them. I use the English style pad

Irony is: 405 gr 45-70 in 7.5 # rifle = 19# recoil and 500 gr 470NE in 11# rifle = 69# recoil. (Chuck Hawks)

Ed Lally,

I forgot to mention that my 45-90 weighs 9.5 pounds empty and is also my DG gun and dispenses 450 grain Kodiak FMJ bullets at 2150 fps.
Even those are no problem off hand. When appropriate, I also shoot factory 45-70 ammo too- for deer or hogs.
The rifle has taken game from Blackbuck and deer with 45-70 ammo and taken Bison, Asian water buff to Cape buff and ele with 45-90 hand loaded ammo.
The 1886 .458 2.4 makes for a pretty versatile weapon actually. Some folks even shoot cast bullets in them.

Attachments

• 52608_600x400.jpg
    52608_600x400.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 138
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: WAB
This is an interesting subject. I have fired an outfitters 500 NE that had nothing but the factory plate on the butt and it didn’t seem to kick as much as my 470 NE which has a padded stock.

Ed Lally,

I forgot to mention that my 45-90 weighs 9.5 pounds empty and is also my DG gun and dispenses 450 grain Kodiak FMJ bullets at 2150 fps.
Even those are no problem off hand. When appropriate, I also shoot factory 45-70 ammo too- for deer or hogs.
The rifle has taken game from Blackbuck and deer with 45-70 ammo and taken Bison, Asian water buff to Cape buff and ele with 45-90 hand loaded ammo.
The 1886 .458 2.4 makes for a pretty versatile weapon actually. Some folks even shoot cast bullets in them.

Beautiful rifle and very respectable ballistics!

@crs can you provide more detail on that .45-90?

WAB,
Thank you. The rifle is not fancy looking, but it is strong and shoots straight. The only modifications have been to add the aftermarket sights and slick up the trigger down to 4 pound pound pull.
The 450 grain Kodiaks were loaded by Grizzly Cartridge with proprietary powders and did not exceed 40,000 PSI. That load is very effective on big critters.
Various industry sources have told me the rifle can handle pressures up over 50,000 psi, but so far there has been no need to load up to that pressure .

WAB also asked for more info:
Sure, what kind of information interests you?

Reactions: WAB
Thanks, it’s a beauty!

This happened to me! I had a George Gibbs .450-,400 3 1/4 it regulated snake eyes from 50-100 meters. I had a kickeez pad installed, the regulation went to crap! I had to go back to the gunsmith who installed the pad and go through his big box of old recoil pads fortunately I found the old pad, reinstalled it, presto the regulation came back!!! Do not throw your old pad away!

Installed limbsaver on my merkel to get proper lop for me and recoil was noticeably lessened and Accuracy improved.
Corrected lop on Sako 500J and felt recoil seemed to diminish.
Majority of rifles are too short for me at 13.5 “ I need 14.25” to 14.5 “
I believe that even a steel butt plate at correct length of pull lessens felt recoil as your body can flex properly to absorb recoil and you are not hitting yourself in the face with your shooting hand thumb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg