Ed Lally

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, Canada, South Africa
My new Blaser in .458 Lott is fun to shoot, however, it is difficult to shoot this firearm a lot due to its significant recoil. I know I can reduce recoil by reducing the load and velocity to replicate a .458 Win Mag, however, if I wanted a Win Mag I would have purchased a Win Mag. Similarly, if I had a Ferrari, I would not drive it like a Smart Car. I am gradually becoming more recoil tolerant but I am considering replacing the recoil pad with a KickEEZ or a Limbsaver. I have done a bit of research on each but desire info from those who have used these products. If you have experience with a different product, please share that as well.

I will assume that you have already instlled the Blaser "kickstop" tungsten bead weight to the stock?
Which rifle do you have?

Purchased a Safari Stock with a kickstop and steel receiver for thus firearm. Recoil is not horrible but a bit less felt recoil would be nice.

I installed a limbsaver on mine. Definitely helped.

Purchased a Safari Stock with a kickstop and steel receiver for thus firearm. Recoil is not horrible but a bit less felt recoil would be nice.
I handled a Blaser R8 Safari in 458LOTT when I was at Euro Optic a few weeks ago and thought it was INCREDIBLY heavy.
Although I must admit, I have never fired a round such as the 458L.
My hat is off to you sir.

As for further suggestions, I'd like to recommend a 500Jeffery barrel...then the 458LOTT won't feel so bad. ;)

I put a 1-1/8”Kickeeze on mine, but haven’t shot it yet. I’m sure it will kick like a mother, so not sure how I will say it was better that something else!

i chose this pad based on gunsmith recommendation.

500J!!! That is like dropping a big rock on your toe so you won't notice your headache anymore.

I had a medium limbsaver installed on my lott and it was the best decision it reduces the felt recoil by a considerable amount, even though the rifle is quite light. I have 2 Brno zkk602’s one is the .375 H&H and the other the Lott. The .375 is heavier than the Lott and I think the reason is that the barrel has more too it I would not say it is a bull barrel but the hole down the barrel is smaller than the Lott so more steel so heavier. The limbsaver does work a treat and think you won’t be disappointed it will still rattle your bones but not to the point of discomfort or flinching !!

I have both the Kilombero and the synthetic Safari Pro stocks. The red recoil pad of the Kilombero is much harder than the recoil pad on the synthetic. I find the synthetic Safari Pro Stock easier to shoot than the wooden Kilombero stock. Also I imagine the synthetic stock has more flex.

Forget a different recoil pad and install a muzzle brake on it! I wouldn’t, but then again, I’m not you! Ha! Ha! Ha! In all seriousness, I put a slip on Limbsaver on my CZ .458 WM, and it recoils less than my .375 with just the factory pad.

Last edited:
Another thought is to develop a practice load. Mine is .458 Lott, 305gn Lehigh DOA HP @ 3.325"oal, cci250, 74gn's RL 10x going around 2550 f/s. Sight in at 1" high at 50yds. The recoil is about half and the ballistic path isn't much different from a 500gn load out to around 200yds. And a side benefit is you can go out and slay some pigs with it.

The damage inflicted on the ears of innocent bystanders by the muzzle brake on my .300 Weatherby has convinced me that a muzzle brake is NOT the best way to reduce recoil, hence, this thread. Thanks to all for the information provided, it is easier to learn from shared knowledge than from trial-and-error. Less expensive as well.

My .416 has a Pachmayr Decelerator on it. That seems like a very nice pad. Spreads the recoil well. When I shoot the gun my whole body rocks, but it's never bruised my shoulder. There's only so much any recoil pad can do and this is one of the best I've used.

Have you considered a PAST or Caldwell recoil pad?
You can wear it for those longer practice sessions and skip it while hunting.
It's been my experience that when hunting...recoil is not noticed.
It's the range time that can do you in.

I use a decelerator on my Lott. It works great.

Consensus seems to be that certain pads "bleed", some "crack", some "stick" to the carpet in a gun safe and others "deterioate" too quickly. It seems that the pachnayr decelerator pads have the least number of problems. How did you install or have your pad installed?

My CZ550 is the aramid synthetic stock version. It came with the pad fitted as standard.

Edit. They do a grind to fit model. It's not the easiest process to be honest and when I did the pad on my .375H&H years ago it wasn't all that pretty. I guess it depends on 1. How fussy you are and 2. your skill level for that sort of project. I went into it a bit hard and rushed it - it wasn't a job I was proud of!

Last edited:
Consensus seems to be that certain pads "bleed", some "crack", some "stick" to the carpet in a gun safe and others "deterioate" too quickly. It seems that the pachnayr decelerator pads have the least number of problems. How did you install or have your pad installed?

I'm somewhat recoil sensitive and I love the Limbsavers. But they do stick to the carpet in my gun safe after a while. The newer "AirTech" ones seem not to have the same problem as the earlier versions. I have loads of Decelerators also. They are nice pads but do no reduce felt recoil as well as the Limbsaver AirTechs in my experience. They do hold up better than the Limbsavers. I have a Christensen 300WM that is the softest shooting 300WM I've ever fired and it has the Limbsaver. My 375 H&H has the Decelerator and I'm considering a swap. Limbsaver makes loads of pre-fit pads that only require a couple screws and are very easy to replace. Unfortunately not sure they do pre-fit pads for my CZ 550 or lots of other magnum rifles. They do appear to make one for your R8 however.

Don't have anything bigger than the 375 yet due to worries about recoil.

My new Blaser in .458 Lott is fun to shoot, however, it is difficult to shoot this firearm a lot due to its significant recoil. I know I can reduce recoil by reducing the load and velocity to replicate a .458 Win Mag, however, if I wanted a Win Mag I would have purchased a Win Mag. Similarly, if I had a Ferrari, I would not drive it like a Smart Car. I am gradually becoming more recoil tolerant but I am considering replacing the recoil pad with a KickEEZ or a Limbsaver. I have done a bit of research on each but desire info from those who have used these products. If you have experience with a different product, please share that as well.

Have you considered a shoulder harness recoil pad? I’ve dislocated my shoulder a few times, football/motorcycle injuries, so am leery about shooting the big bores without something more than a rifle’s recoil pad. I recently bought one of the super magnum ones from Caldwell and it’s just what the doctor ordered. I went with the 1” version and it’s too thick and messing with the LOP too much so going to step down to the 1/2” model. Shot 50 rounds with my 9.3x62 one day and didn’t feel a damn thing...these things really work. An option to at least consider.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013R8J4...74984.1573697054&tag=shopperz_origin1-20&th=1

Attachments

• Screenshot (111).png
    Screenshot (111).png
    342.6 KB · Views: 157
I'm somewhat recoil sensitive and I love the Limbsavers. But they do stick to the carpet in my gun safe after a while. The newer "AirTech" ones seem not to have the same problem as the earlier versions. I have loads of Decelerators also. They are nice pads but do no reduce felt recoil as well as the Limbsaver AirTechs in my experience. They do hold up better than the Limbsavers. I have a Christensen 300WM that is the softest shooting 300WM I've ever fired and it has the Limbsaver. My 375 H&H has the Decelerator and I'm considering a swap. Limbsaver makes loads of pre-fit pads that only require a couple screws and are very easy to replace. Unfortunately not sure they do pre-fit pads for my CZ 550 or lots of other magnum rifles. They do appear to make one for your R8 however.

Don't have anything bigger than the 375 yet due to worries about recoil.
FELT recoil is ALWAYS subjective to the individual shooter. I have a Past harness type recoil pad that I use when sighting in my .338 WM, .458 WM and .375 h and h from the BENCH. I have a slip on decelerator on my .338 (not really necessary) for all other shooting positions and hunting. I use a LARGE sized slip on Limbsaver on my .458 and .375 when shooting in all other positions. Haven’t hunted with them yet. Just me and my recoil subjectivity? Try a pouch made of wax paper wrapped around the Limbsaver if it sticks to the carpet in ones’ gunsafe? I haven’t had that issue yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg