Best Practical Safari Tips

dmyers

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, Canada,
What is your best small but important/handy safari tip.

Mine: Bring multiple packages of zip/cable ties. Almost as handy as duct tape and you can leave with Ph (if they want them) at end of trip. My zip ties have helped fix fuel lines, shoes, broken bino straps while on safari.

What's you practical tip for "surviving" a safari?

Can be gear, personal conduct, medical, etc. Just must be useful!

Looking forward to hearing (and trying) some of the AHer's tips.

Zip ties is a good one, never thought of that! I always take hand sanitizer/sani wipes with me. Always good to have around for cuts in the field and wiping down your arms and legs at night from the nicks and scratches that occur daily. Also some neosporin for burns, bites, cuts, this has helped me out a few times over there.

Pack the zip ties in your checked bag. Mine were confiscated out of my carry-on baggage in RSA.

I take candy. Bit O Honey, Life Savers and Kind Bars. The local kids don't usually enjoy these luxuries.

General purpose antibiotic - cipro is a good choice.

OK fella's it may be harsh but here goes...

The heck with bringing anything for anyone but yourself. The Safari staff really don't give a shit about trinkets and beads we may bring. The appreciate money and your clothes you may leave, specially shoes.

Anyone who may have read my post a few months ago where I posted an article I wrote called "The Client" also read about the PH asking for us to bring along stuff. Ammo is common but a huge no-no. If you feel the need to leave un-used ammunition fine but I don't even do that. they're professionals and should have all that figured out, not our problem. I've long since quit caring if they like me. I see the relationship no different than I do the relationship developed with the guy you bought your new F-250 from or perhaps your Taxidermist. They are simply a service provider.

Probably the biggest "personal conduct tip " I would offer up is; Don't let the anticipation of your upcoming Safari get carried away. The higher your expectations of things is, the more you are exposing yourself to some level of disappointment at some point. Me, I take things day by day and enjoy every minute of every day. I've become an "expert" at not getting let down.

All great stuff above.
I’d like to add Sunscreen, chapstick with sunprotection, a handfull of latex gloves, a small multitool, tweezer, sharpie, small notebook, chemlight/disposable electrical light, electrolyte satchels to mix with water to help with dehydration.
All these are small, light and inexpensive and may not be used, but I have used all of them on many occasions during times in the veld or in camp.
I’d also like to stress the previous posters’ points above with the broad medicine backup, a few feet of paracord, duct tape and zipties are very very useful.
Great thread.

Headlamp...... The best hands free flashlight ever. You can still hand carry it if you want. Super handy when looking for that shell holder, gloves and other loose items in the backseat of the backie after a long day hunting. Great for getting from the braii back to your chalet in the evening. And you can hang it in your room or bathroom if you need more indoor light.

Leatherman for pulling thorns out of your boots, good flashlight, antihistamines to help with the effects of dust, eye drops and Gatorade or something similar.

Headlamp...... The best hands free flashlight ever. You can still hand carry it if you want. Super handy when looking for that shell holder, gloves and other loose items in the backseat of the backie after a long day hunting. Great for getting from the braii back to your chalet in the evening. And you can hang it in your room or bathroom if you need more indoor light.
Never travel without a headlamp! Mine has red and white light and the red is great for not ruining your night vision whether you are getting in a leopard blind or out to take a leak

A small sling backpack for my day pack (5.11]. I don’t want to use my travel backpack (my airline carry on bag) for several reasons. First I don’t want it to fall in the gut bucket if I’m hunting cats and I don’t want the risk of leaving shells in there for the flight home. Additionally I don’t need “the kitchen sink” to go hunting! I clip it on the Bakkie’s headache rack and off we go for the day.
Regards,
Philip

1). Practice shooting a bunch—different positions under time
2). Take more money and photos than you planned
3). Broad spectrum antibiotic, big bottle of ibuprofen (you can leave it) and Imodium, lip balm
4). Water additives for hydration
5). Take enough time to enjoy the little stuff
6). Last trip I took a bunch of wool socks and 6 soccer balls to visit a school and provide a meal—the socks were coveted!
7). Spray your shoes with something to make the bugs not like them so much—African fever is good, African tick bite is not!

In Namibia, I needed eye drops and antihistamines and would have killed for saline eye wash. Turned out I was allergic to kudu coats and I learned that because my eyes felt like they were on fire. This lasted about 1.5 days and the thought of losing hunting time was unacceptable. Had to use a sleeping mask from plane to create patch over shooting eye and remove said patch when preparing to shoot. Was very dry and had saline nose spray but not prepared for the dust. I never get sick and physically very little ever bothers me but my eyes were t Achilles heel. I had a good med kit and all kinds of prescriptions for whatever ailments but never needed them. Suspect most good PHs have pharmacies at camp but better to be self sufficient than sorry.

1. Gatorade, drip drop, or some other product to add to water for hydration.
2. Pepto bismal tablets. Take one in the morning and one after dinner as prophylaxis against unfamiliar-to-you bacteria. Keeps the really bad stuff at bay should you encounter it, and it is a pain to have to pause a good stalk when you can avoid those situations.
3. Headlamp or small flashlight on a neck strap to find your way back to the tent. Especially after too many sundowners.
4. Clear safety/shooting glasses. Yes. We did a lot of bombing around dirt tracks at night in the truck and every minute or two there were Acacia branches that forced us to duck. I am slipping a pair into my hunting bag for this year. Never got nailed, but to not wear them would be dumb because all it takes is one distraction. And see below ...
5. A beanie hat for cold mornings, and more warm clothing than last year.
6. A charging station with the right plug adapter for the electronic stuff I wish I had last year, and will have this year. Better camera and a basic IR night vision scope.
7. Small but super powerful flashlight with red and white lenses for looking at nocturnal critters.

Ditto on the eye care and allergy stuff.

Jeff

A surgeon friend who travels frequently takes Cipro prophylactically for stomach illness —one per day while out of the country. Not a bad idea...

OK fella's it may be harsh but here goes...

The heck with bringing anything for anyone but yourself. The Safari staff really don't give a shit about trinkets and beads we may bring. The appreciate money and your clothes you may leave, specially shoes.

Anyone who may have read my post a few months ago where I posted an article I wrote called "The Client" also read about the PH asking for us to bring along stuff. Ammo is common but a huge no-no. If you feel the need to leave un-used ammunition fine but I don't even do that. they're professionals and should have all that figured out, not our problem. I've long since quit caring if they like me. I see the relationship no different than I do the relationship developed with the guy you bought your new F-250 from or perhaps your Taxidermist. They are simply a service provider.

Probably the biggest "personal conduct tip " I would offer up is; Don't let the anticipation of your upcoming Safari get carried away. The higher your expectations of things is, the more you are exposing yourself to some level of disappointment at some point. Me, I take things day by day and enjoy every minute of every day. I've become an "expert" at not getting let down.
You are right in a strict sense- but as someone who guides and is guided- you will only get what you paid for when you lump your car dealer or dentist in with guide/service staff- nothing extra. And you will never know what you missed.

A surgeon friend who travels frequently takes Cipro prophylactically for stomach illness —one per day while out of the country. Not a bad idea...
It’s good to have on hand when traveling but can be hard on the stomach as it kills everything good and bad in your stomach.

Patience, especially once you leave the US or your home country.

Take time to relax, enjoy every second and try to slow down time- you will never be at that place or time again. Take notes of small things and names of people (with description so you can remember them). Lotsa pics of everything including people.

Visit with the locals/staff. They will usually not be around the evening campfire- you have to go out to their area. Sit and have a beer or smoke or cup of coffee with them.

Take a good supply of 5s and 10s. Or if local currency is available get some and use that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg