AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Virginia Bowhunters Association
Just wondering where everyone gets there clothing before the big trip. I'm looking for quiet, durable, etc. for bowhunting(spot&stalk asa hunting from a hide) in Namibia. I believe the best colors are brown and green for this environment?
Thanks all

Carhartt, right here in the USA.

Reactions: BWH
Honestly I keep it practical, buy stuff you'll wear when you get back. you're home a lot more. I still have my Duluth Trading fire hose shorts from my trips, and they make great t-shirts too in any color. Carhartt is right there with them, including pants if you prefer them. You can walk into Cabelas or Bass Pro and walk out with a couple pair of decent drab shorts or pants plus the same amount of t-shirts maybe a canvas long sleeved shirt to layer for cool morning and you're done. I do have a lightweight jacket too, but it's my spring and fall jacket anyway. Complete with light/medium weight hiking shoes, and you're done. About the only thing you might not already own would be gaiters to keep rocks and stuff out of my shoes. I own a pair from Texas Hunt Co. Love them, but lots of people don't bother.

I am a Carhartt guy and wear lots of their clothes everyday and is what I wore in SA, but I also really like Northface cargo pants and some of their other products. Duluth Trading has some good products as well. Don't over think it all....

Cabelas is just fine. But if you want to spend more money and look stylish go to Tag Safari clothing web site.;)

Mr. Farmer Workwear
251 Main Rd, Longlands, Cape Town
http://www.mrfarmer.co.za/catbrowse2.php?id=114&lastmenu=3#jump

1075.jpg

1144.jpg

Wayne do you recommend the blue outfit for stalking situations or just those long range shooting from the truck situations?
:ROFLMAO:

I always buy army surplus , German when I can. It is cheap and hard waring. Never take expensive kit as the thorns etc will rip it to shreds. Always take top quality boots with good soles as an acacia thorn in the foot will ruin your holiday. Also don't take too much as the maids will wash every thing most days.
Markcz

I wear stuff I already own - Justin lace up roper boots, off color jeans (Carhartt or Dickeys), camo jacket (if needed), green sweatshirt, brown jersey gloves, etc.
Another option is go to the second hand store, get what you need. That's what my dad did on a previous trip.

Just wondering where everyone gets there clothing before the big trip. I'm looking for quiet, durable, etc. for bowhunting(spot&stalk asa hunting from a hide) in Namibia. I believe the best colors are brown and green for this environment?
Thanks all

Just like Heeler75's dad, most of my hunting duds, whether for Africa or state side, comes from the second-hand stores around here.

Wherever you buy your Africa hunting clothes, just make sure that they are 100% cotton, because the camp staff will wash your laundry each and every day, usually in pretty much blistering hot water and then press the living "H. E. Double Hockey Sticks" out of it, by means of an even hotter steam iron.

Synthetic fibers will pucker right up, especially from the iron and be ruined.

No disrespect to other members and / or to the maker, as I too favor Carhartt products very much for "general use", especially for hard work outdoors.

However, many of their garments are made from perhaps at least 8 ounce weight canvas and so, are too stiff and noisy for stalking nervous animals at close range, (until they have quite a few miles and quite a high number machine washings on them).

When not yet "thoroughly broken-in", with each step they make a distinct scraping sound that is out of place in the bush.

However, Carhartt in the past (and hopefully still does), made / makes a light weight version of their otherwise excellent jeans, in more than one color, including a shade of green that's about perfect for most of Africa.

These lightweight jeans would probably be as quiet as any subptle cotton pants can be for stalking and in my personal experiences with several Carhartt garments, in 35 years of owning same, they are nearly bullet-proof.

Just like Heeler75's dad, most of my hunting duds, whether for Africa or state side, comes from the second-hand stores around here.

Wherever you buy your Africa hunting clothes, just make sure that they are 100% cotton, because the camp staff will wash your laundry each and every day, usually in pretty much blistering hot water and then press the living "H. E. Double Hockey Sticks" out of it, by means of an even hotter steam iron.

Synthetic fibers will pucker right up, especially from the iron and be ruined.

No disrespect to other members and / or to the maker, as I too favor Carhartt products very much for "general use", especially for hard work outdoors.

However, many of their garments are made from perhaps at least 8 ounce weight canvas and so, are too stiff and noisy for stalking nervous animals at close range, (until they have quite a few miles and quite a high number machine washings on them).

When not yet "thoroughly broken-in", with each step they make a distinct scraping sound that is out of place in the bush.

However, Carhartt in the past (and hopefully still does), made / makes a light weight version of their otherwise excellent jeans, in more than one color, including a shade of green that's about perfect for most of Africa.

These lightweight jeans would probably be as quiet as any subptle cotton pants can be for stalking and in my personal experiences with several Carhartt garments, in 35 years of owning same, they are nearly bullet-proof.

Makes perfect sense

If you have camo clothing you use now to hunt your good to go. The animals will not care about brand or style. ;)

If you have camo clothing you use now to hunt your good to go. The animals will not care about brand or style. ;)

I was hoping that if I look cool then the animals would be more likely to come within bow range

If you want that you need to dress like a bale of straw. Just get them before they start eating.

I wear mostly Kuiu and Tag. No wrong answer here. A lot is going to depend on temp where you are going.
Philip

Wayne do you recommend the blue outfit for stalking situations or just those long range shooting from the truck situations?
:ROFLMAO:

Charlie. I figure if every farm worker is running around in the stuff, perhaps it might just be the best camo out there.

Last edited:
Your best deal is to be at the Eye Candy bar during the AH get together and be the first to buy @spike.t one of those pink (ok, orange) fluffy drinks he likes and thereby win a Takeri Reserve shirt... Which perfectly fits what you describe;)

Then your outfitter will be forced to give you a shirt with his logo on it for the photos so you will have two for the price of one drink.... and a real sissy one at that:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you