Best place for lion hunting?

Aaron Rust

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Where would you say is the best Lion Hunting available today? Let me define... big maned lions in wide open country. Not considering accessibility and political climate. It is on my bucket list. Then considering accessibility and political climate where is the best considering that?
Aaron

First need to ask yourself what sort of lion you wish to hunt. If the big mane is important in a politically stable country, then go to south Africa and shoot a captive bred one released for your shooting pleasure. If a wilderness experience is more important than the size of the mane, then it is pretty much Tanzania or Zim depending upon import restrictions at any given moment.

Agree with red leg...IF in RSA then consider Hans de Klerk recent post..his prices dropped from $25 - 35k to $12,5k for a big maned lion.
Tanzania will sort the free range monster for you but at a seriously more expensive hunt.

a couple of other options

Tracking and Calling? That would be Benin. Not really a big Mane location though.

Zambia has some nice Lions.
Mbizi seems to have a few running around.
full.jpg

full-1.jpg

Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe or Mozambique. All depends on your pocketbook and desire to bring something home or hunt for experience.

It will probably remain a dream, because I have a hard time letting that kind of money go for fun.

Agree with everyone else.

And although you mentioned Mane Burkina Faso is wide open country and probably the best priced wild lion, hut very small to no mane.

All depends on priorities....

Like @Red Leg states, if Mane trumps all then SA and picking out your lion in advance will be hard to beat. Even in wild areas where a great mane is a possibility the lions won't always cooperate. ;)

It will probably remain a dream, because I have a hard time letting that kind of money go for fun.

All about priorities!

I hear what you are saying, trust me.... But what's the real difference between spending for a hunt or buying more car than we really need to get around or work? In my opinion it's all mental and it's socially "ok" to waste money on a car.

Burkina! I never thought of West Africa... that might be fun...

It or Benin are definitely on my list. Lots of real wild stuff there and some species you can't get, especially wild, in southern Africa.

A good maned wild lion will cost around $100K. Anything less than that for a decent wild lion would be excellent. You must remember that it's the baiting that can cost lots of money not so much the trophy fee. Lions require lots of meat!
If someone want a lion they need to look at Simons latest offer in Moz.
Regards
Philip

Shaun Buffee has shot some awesome lions at Bubye Valley in Zim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois