Best option for new bolt handle on a 09 argentine mauser

TroyF

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
How do you guys do the bolts on your mausers, I think my buddy has the forging thing for the bolts but think there short unless your stretch or lengthen it. I would prefer to cut it off and weld on a nice new one but only have a fluxcore and arc welder, maybe cut it and have a welding shop weld it?

Send it to Baldwin Bolt Service

Please don’t use the arc or flux core welders.
If it were mine, I would get it prepped just how I wanted it, and have it tig welded. I guess you could probably get by with a mig welder.

Please don’t use the arc or flux core welders.
If it were mine, I would get it prepped just how I wanted it, and have it tig welded. I guess you could probably get by with a mig welder.
I have no plans using the welders I've got, even a mig welder I don't think would be to good, I can use a buddies if I need to. I think if I get it were I want, maybe tack it with the mig or make a jig to hold it and have a shop weld it up. I've got a nice brass rod to put in the bolt and a good shop should have heat paste.

I've got to look up now to make the cuts and all, I think you do 45 degree cuts on both to make a 90 and fill that in with weld.

Any idea on what they would charge, I'm trying to do this on a budget but still want it don't right.
Go to Skips Website, Ive used Skip on more than a few occasions he does great work and his prices in my opinion are very reasonable and has a fast turnaround time. If you search Baldwin Bolt service on the website you will find a pic of a bolt Skip jeweled for my Whitworth while he didn't, mod the bolt you will get an idea his quality

Last edited:
Mark Penrod installs a bolt handle which for my money looks, feels and operates exactly the way a bolt handle should. These are an examples of his work.
Penrod bolt handle 001.jpg
Penrod bolt handle 002.jpg

How do you guys do the bolts on your mausers, I think my buddy has the forging thing for the bolts but think there short unless your stretch or lengthen it. I would prefer to cut it off and weld on a nice new one but only have a fluxcore and arc welder, maybe cut it and have a welding shop weld it?
try MNRRIFLES in Vermont Matt is a very competent gunsmith and will style it like an original Oberndorf

hes away right now ,he will be back on the 10th ,,,he has a Facebook page with his work. MNR CUSTOM LLC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross