Best mounts to fit scope to CZ550 Safari

Discussion in 'Hunting Equipment, Gear & Optics' started by njc110381, Mar 3, 2019.

1. ZG47

ZG47 AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    NZDA, NZMSC
    Hunted:
    New Zealand
    @njc110381 Warne QD mounts work well on my ZG47 in .30-06. You need to remove the scope every so often and put a drop of oil on the threads. I once left the scope on for a bit too long and had to gently tap the levers with an offcut from a round hardwood stair rail.
    Repeatability is not an issue for typical hunting ranges. If you wish to do what I call game-sniping you could do a test at 200 yards/metres BUT unless you used a well-secured machine rest I doubt that you would get absolutely reliable test results. NB Machine rests are still used by top level .22 rimfire shooters to batch-test their ammo because they reliably approximate normal holding of a firearm.

There is a saying in NZ: ‘The best way to get fit for tramping (hiking) is to go tramping’.

Following on from that: ‘The best way to become proficient at bench-rest shooting is to go bench-rest shooting’.

Do not rely upon bench-rest results for the hunt of a lifetime.

Have fun with your Moravian masterpiece and please show pics of hunting results with your selected combo.

njc110381 likes this.

2. njc110381

njc110381 AH Veteran

Not sure if it's a recent thing but I'm sure they make rings with the levers on either side to suit your needs? Unless I'm getting muddled with another make?

Don't you worry - once I'm on a hunt with this thing there will be pictures. There will probably even be pictures before that!

3. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Alaska Arms makes their levers on the opposite side of the bolt handle to match the notch in the receiver of the rifle.
    LH scope mounts (right side levers) have a notch on the right, to match LH CZ's notch on the right.
    RH scope mounts (left side levers) have a notch on the left to match the RH CZ's notch on the left.

4. Longwalker

Longwalker AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatchewan Trappers Association, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
    Hunted:
    Canada ( Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Yukon) USA ( Montana) Germany, South Africa ( E.C)
    I have Alaska Arms rings and won't use them. they will be sold to someone who likes them. Much prefer the Talley's and a bonus is the Talley rings sell for half the cost where I am. Both attach properly and return to zero, but the AA rings are designed poorly. levers are horizontal, on the left side, and gouge my hand when I hold the rifle for normal trail carry. They also hook things like brush or my belt loops occasionally. Talleys can be set with the levers in any position you want, and I much prefer vertical. Out of the way and don't snag. And Talley's levers are on the bolt side. I asked Alaska arms if they would supply levers that lock in the upright position, and they said yes, for $130! That's the charge for the levers only. And the AA rings scraped the finish off of my nice custom CZ550 the first time I tightened the clamps. Not impressed.

5. Johnny reb

Johnny reb AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA- buckmasters
    If the rings took the finish off your rifle something is wrong. I have used 9 sets of the Alaskan arms rings and have had zero issue. As far as the levers being in the left or right they sell sets for left and right handed shooters.

6. Rule 303

Rule 303 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia

The problem is I am right handed and want the levers on the right hand side. They place the levers on the left hand side for right hand rifles. It cost a fair bit to have them place the levers on the right hand side for right hand shooters and vice versa.

7. Johnny reb

Johnny reb AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA- buckmasters
    Exchange the right handed ones for the left handed model.

8. Rule 303

Rule 303 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
    Can not do with rings for a CZ due to the locking lug. I believe the recess on the receiver for the lug is on opposite sides for left and right handed rifles. I stand to be corrected on this.