Best mounts to fit scope to CZ550 Safari

@njc110381 Warne QD mounts work well on my ZG47 in .30-06. You need to remove the scope every so often and put a drop of oil on the threads. I once left the scope on for a bit too long and had to gently tap the levers with an offcut from a round hardwood stair rail.
Repeatability is not an issue for typical hunting ranges. If you wish to do what I call game-sniping you could do a test at 200 yards/metres BUT unless you used a well-secured machine rest I doubt that you would get absolutely reliable test results. NB Machine rests are still used by top level .22 rimfire shooters to batch-test their ammo because they reliably approximate normal holding of a firearm.

There is a saying in NZ: ‘The best way to get fit for tramping (hiking) is to go tramping’.

Following on from that: ‘The best way to become proficient at bench-rest shooting is to go bench-rest shooting’.

Do not rely upon bench-rest results for the hunt of a lifetime.

Have fun with your Moravian masterpiece and please show pics of hunting results with your selected combo.

Likewise. Not keen on the Alaska Arms Rings as the levers are on the left, I much prefer the levers on the right.

Not sure if it's a recent thing but I'm sure they make rings with the levers on either side to suit your needs? Unless I'm getting muddled with another make?

Don't you worry - once I'm on a hunt with this thing there will be pictures. There will probably even be pictures before that!

Not sure if it's a recent thing but I'm sure they make rings with the levers on either side to suit your needs? Unless I'm getting muddled with another make?
Alaska Arms makes their levers on the opposite side of the bolt handle to match the notch in the receiver of the rifle.
LH scope mounts (right side levers) have a notch on the right, to match LH CZ's notch on the right.
RH scope mounts (left side levers) have a notch on the left to match the RH CZ's notch on the left.

I have Alaska Arms rings and won't use them. they will be sold to someone who likes them. Much prefer the Talley's and a bonus is the Talley rings sell for half the cost where I am. Both attach properly and return to zero, but the AA rings are designed poorly. levers are horizontal, on the left side, and gouge my hand when I hold the rifle for normal trail carry. They also hook things like brush or my belt loops occasionally. Talleys can be set with the levers in any position you want, and I much prefer vertical. Out of the way and don't snag. And Talley's levers are on the bolt side. I asked Alaska arms if they would supply levers that lock in the upright position, and they said yes, for $130! That's the charge for the levers only. And the AA rings scraped the finish off of my nice custom CZ550 the first time I tightened the clamps. Not impressed.

If the rings took the finish off your rifle something is wrong. I have used 9 sets of the Alaskan arms rings and have had zero issue. As far as the levers being in the left or right they sell sets for left and right handed shooters.

If the rings took the finish off your rifle something is wrong. I have used 9 sets of the Alaskan arms rings and have had zero issue. As far as the levers being in the left or right they sell sets for left and right handed shooters.

The problem is I am right handed and want the levers on the right hand side. They place the levers on the left hand side for right hand rifles. It cost a fair bit to have them place the levers on the right hand side for right hand shooters and vice versa.

Exchange the right handed ones for the left handed model.

Exchange the right handed ones for the left handed model.

Can not do with rings for a CZ due to the locking lug. I believe the recess on the receiver for the lug is on opposite sides for left and right handed rifles. I stand to be corrected on this.

I have Warne QR rings on my CZ550 in 375H&H holding a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20.
I routinely remove the scope for cleaning and shooting with the irons, always returns to zero.
Also, there is no special base you need to install, the Warne rings fit directly to the CZ action.
I believe the Alaska Arms rings do the same, but are available with the levers on the left or right.

I did have an issue with Talley QR rings returning to zero, but I didn't fully investigate the issue.
Talley is a good company and makes a quality product, they just didn't work for me.
A friend has the same rings on one of his rifles and he has no problems with them.

I have no experience with Alaska Arms, but several members here speak highly of them.

My preference is Warne, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Alaska Arms either.
Picking up an old thread here, but will soon have a 550 and will be fitting the same scope as you. Do you recall what height mounts you went with?
I'm thinking I'll go with the Alaska Arms but will need to order online, hoping for the lowest mount to suit the rifle/scope combo.
Thanks in advance,

Picking up an old thread here, but will soon have a 550 and will be fitting the same scope as you. Do you recall what height mounts you went with?
I'm thinking I'll go with the Alaska Arms but will need to order online, hoping for the lowest mount to suit the rifle/scope combo.
Thanks in advance,
1" Medium QR rings.
Warne P/N 1BLM.

I have Alaska Arms rings and won't use them. they will be sold to someone who likes them. Much prefer the Talley's and a bonus is the Talley rings sell for half the cost where I am. Both attach properly and return to zero, but the AA rings are designed poorly. levers are horizontal, on the left side, and gouge my hand when I hold the rifle for normal trail carry. They also hook things like brush or my belt loops occasionally. Talleys can be set with the levers in any position you want, and I much prefer vertical. Out of the way and don't snag. And Talley's levers are on the bolt side. I asked Alaska arms if they would supply levers that lock in the upright position, and they said yes, for $130! That's the charge for the levers only. And the AA rings scraped the finish off of my nice custom CZ550 the first time I tightened the clamps. Not impressed.

I haven't tried the Alaska Arms rings, so no knowledge whatsoever there, but I do have the Talley Steel QR rings on my 500 Jeffery. Over 500 full power loads, zero issues. If I take the scope off to practice with irons (which is pretty rare), they come back to within 1/4" of zero at 100 yards. For me, they are perfect.

I like both Warne and Alaska Arms, but there is something about Alaska Arms that I really like

On advice garnished here, I've ordered some Alaska Arms QR mounts. I'll keep you posted.

Gotta love the packaging, fingers crossed they work as good as they look.
Now hopefully the rifle is not far away...
1607480199088.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg