Best Looking Safari Shirt?

Be careful in what you wear.....

The PH's love a good laugh

Pith helmets make a sensible choice, but turn out in one at a SA hunting camp and....:E Lol:
:E Rofl:

Guess, I need a 20 gauge before I move to Spicewood, TX. ;)
If you get into guns as well as rifles, you will need all sorts of new and interesting things. :sneaky:

In the heat, I've been wearing the same type of Fjallraven shirt for about a decade. It has long sleeves that can be rolled up and has a tab to keep the sleeve rolled up. I went to look for the exact model and it has been discontinued and replaced with some kind of fancy polymer stretch fabric nonsense. Its nice because it looks decent enough to wear on the plane and works well in the field. The less I can pack the happier I am. I'll have to find a new shirt once the ones I have wear out.

At least I still have my Korean War surplus wool shirt for the cool mornings.

I'm not much for specialized hunting clothing. Outside in Africa or outside in my yard, it is all more or less the same.

Last edited:
My favorites have been filson out of Seattle, they used to make a very simple long and short sleeve shirt out of what they called "safari cloth". Mine are reaching the 20 year mark with some repairs.
Cheers
Pat
p.s. I am wearing one in my avatar.

For hot weather Courteney, the same people who make the boots, also make these lightweight cotton shirts. They are long, so don't keep pulling out, wide sleeves, tie up buttons for rolling up, bag pockets and note the extra collar bit to turn up against the sun. Apart from Westley Richards all my UK safari shirts are made for tiny wrists, very uncomfortable to button up if you can and worse to have flopping around.
C007F510-E262-44AB-82F7-386CF80F91CE.jpeg

I like the discontinued Cableas safari shirts the best, which can be found on ebay. For hot weather I use Magellan fishing shirts that can be found at Academy. Carhartt pants for everything. When I plan to go hunting, whether Africa, MX, or wherever, how I look occupies less than 1% of things I care about.
Did the Magellan shirts hold up ok to the laundry service. I plan on using mine on the upcoming trip!

Did the Magellan shirts hold up ok to the laundry service. I plan on using mine on the upcoming trip!

I’ve used them on a couple of
Safaris without any problems. I’ve pretty much switched to tag and Rigby now.

When I finally get to Africa, I probably won’t look the part. I will wear the plaid cotton long sleeve shirts I buy at goodwill. The dark colors should do fine. And instead of blue jeans I will try to find something brown.

Yes, they did for me and I found myself preferring them over other, more expensive offerings.

Yes, they did for me and I found myself preferring them over other, more expensive offerings.
ok perfect no need for me to find other shirts then.

Wow. This is an upgrade from the watch post, but....Gloria Vanderbilt would've be keenly interested in this post today if not for 1) her passing and 2) her fashion-wiz son that doesn't get excited by women (Anderson Cooper.) LOL The best shirt for continued African hunting is the one you don't lose. Do you just wear that one shirt, continuously, on a 21-day safari (or are we talking stroll at the metrosexual mall of your choosing?) LOL :p I once wore a very light colored safari shirt (to prove a point)-even the PH's wife was like "OMG what's that?" (everyone laughing) I said, THIS is Truck Camo-It blends in w/ the 'cruiser-and proceeded to shoot the largest dagga boy of my career. LOL As i recall, it's a valuable, discontinued antique now (fmr Gander Mtn. Guide Series.) LOL

IMG_20170816_172740005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very old thread, but couldn't resist. Westley Richards make some of the finest guns and rifles, and clothing to match. Quilted shoulder patch. Long sleeves are a must in the winter thorn scrub and keep the sun off. Here is their safari shirt, extreme quality. View attachment 345492 I frequently use the bullet pouches when doing speed shoots on the range. Comes in khaki, brown and dark green.
Kevin,
I agree wholeheartedly with you on the WR clothing, their regular shirts are indeed very high quality and the finest fabric. but alas, no left hand expedition shirts. Really like those though. not enough market for them I guess. And yes their rifles and guns are superb.

JP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross