Best gun safe for $1000?

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
im in a need of a bigger gun safe, my current safe is much too small and with my rifle being done soon i want to make sure ive got room.

my budget is $1000, i want a safe that will hold at least 12 long rifles with lots of room around them so something like a 20-25 gun safe is ideal.

thanks for the advice!
-Matt

Matt it's almost Christmas and the specials will be hitting very soon. I got my second safe last year during the holidays. You might check Cabelas website as they have been clearing a group of their Cabelas brand safes for the last three months. The thing is you will pay a good chunk for freight no matter where you order one.

IMG_0859.JPG

If I remember right Matt I found this one on sales after Thanksgiving and paid about $800 plus another $140 in shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know how far you are from any cities, but keep an eye out for sales, that instead of lowering the price of the safe, they include free delivery into your home within a certain number of miles limit. That is how I bought my Liberty Safe some years ago from Gander Mountain. There was a 25 mile limit.

I purchased a Cabela's branded 23 Gun Liberty safe for $950.00 a month ago. I picked it up at the store using a utility trailer.

I picked up a Liberty "Timber Ridge" 48 gun safe (I believe the TR was a GM exclusive?) for $850 about a year ago.. at the time they were running a sale.. It was normally $1100 retail I believe.. and they were offering 12 months same as cash if you signed up for their GM visa..

They charged me another $99 to deliver it and install it for me (I got them to bolt it to the floor and the wall in one of the walk in closets)..

Tax and all it was just a few bucks over $1K..

If you have a costco nearby, they carry some of the entry level Canon safes at excellent prices.. Had I known it at the time I would have passed on the Liberty from GM and gone with the Canon from Costco..

They currently have a 72 gun Canon in stock at my local store for $899.. and they will ship it to your door for that price..

https://www.costco.com/Cannon-CS72-Executive-Series-Safe-43.8-CuFt,-60-min-Fire-Protection,-45"W-x-28"D-x-59"H,-Electronic-Lock.product.100341405.html

Screenshot (260).png

Just as a fyi, I have a couple of friends that have safes with electronic keypads and in the last year both of them have had to replace them because of key pad failure to open the safe. I don't remember the manufactures but both of them failed to the point that the door had to be drilled to open them. This was after they tried numerous things to get it to release the lock. The manufacture was quite helpful with them telling them what they could try to do but in the end even the locksmith told them that drilling was the only option to get them open.

Just as a fyi, I have a couple of friends that have safes with electronic keypads and in the last year both of them have had to replace them because of key pad failure to open the safe. I don't remember the manufactures but both of them failed to the point that the door had to be drilled to open them. This was after they tried numerous things to get it to release the lock. The manufacture was quite helpful with them telling them what they could try to do but in the end even the locksmith told them that drilling was the only option to get them open.

This is a big reason I went with the EMP locks and a Canon safe. Digital lock for convenience, and if it ever fails the mechanical dial is there as well.

Certainly give the Cannon EMP line a look as it does make for both speed and ease as well as peace of mind.

Watch this video first,

I have and that’s why I would buy a Brown (not Browning) or Gruffunder. But, they aren’t a $1000 either.

i do prefer a combination lock on my safe rather then a key pad but it seems key pads are becoming the standard.

-matt

Last edited:
If you have a truck or trailer, it's worth scanning the local Craigslists. The truth is that safes are normally not an item that gets moved when people move. You can often buy them for under $500. If you get a digital pad, you can reprogram the safe combo and have a safe for much cheaper than new.

Check sporting goods stores. I picked my cannon safe up at Academy for about $800 a few years back.

As others have said, look for sales. November is probably a great time to buy.

I have a Pentagon and a Sturdy. I am not sure if you can get one for 1k new, but maybe on the used market.

I just had Sturdy make me vault door, I have to say they are some of the nicest people I have ever done business with.

I have and that’s why I would buy a Brown (not Browning) or Gruffunder. But, they aren’t a $1000 either.

Concur. I really like the Gruffunder. If space is an issue I recommend Zanotti Armor, it's a break down safe and you can transport and assemble it just about any place.

Check Craigslist and Tractor Supply (If they are near you??) Also, Consider, inste or workingtingad of one big one, buy 2 smaller ones, they are not so dominating in the room,
I have one in the garage fo rmy hun guns and one in the study for storage guns.

Tractor Supply and Menards, if you have one near you.

My safes came with a large key. If the keypad fails, you can remove it and underneath is a slot for the key and that unlocks it. Of course you need a secure place for the key.

My safes came with a large key. If the keypad fails, you can remove it and underneath is a slot for the key and that unlocks it. Of course you need a secure place for the key.

Keep the key in the safe. :A Bonk:

Sorry, had to be said. :A Outta:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammie2072

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross