Best gear you’ve found

Grim Reaper and German Kinetic broadheads

Easton FMJ arrows

Undoubtedly Bowtech Bows. I own a few and still nothing beats my Destroyer 350. My RPM 360 is faster by a hair but that dang Destroyer hits so hard. Cant wait to install the 75-77lb limbs and take it to Africa

Swift A-Frame
Swarovski Z8i
Leica Geovid
Norma powder & brass
Kent shotgun shells
Toyota
I would add Lapua brass to the list without a doubt but I have never seen a .404 Jeffery case with that headstamp.

my leica 10x42 range finding binocs
binocular harness straps, great invention

British military canvas tropical boots..

Barnes bullets
Nikon optics
Sig Optics
Winchester XPR in 325 WSM and I'm a died in the wool Mauser/CZ 550 375 H&H guy.

The list goes on but I have to get back to work.

Wiggy Sleeping bags and products
.375 Ruger Alaskan
Mausers
Merino Wool and parka shell from Varustaleka
Maxpedition Mongo Versipack
Eberlestock Halftrack
Steiner 8x30 military marine binos
Leupold VX-Freedom Firedots (for value)
.35 WAI
.30-06
.358WIN
.495 A-Square
Swiss Army knives (camper & tinker)
THE M-1 GARAND!
Glocks
USGI poncho liner
Filson double Mackinaw

Primos shooting sticks, FirstLite clothing, Rick Young Bino Harness, SmartWool Socks, Schaefer Outfitter Range Wax Brush Jacket. Sprayway Glass Cleaner, for cleaning dried blood and tallow from knife blades and clothes, it also is one of the best hand cleaners ever in the field for caked on dried blood. And the quality of our cell phone cameras still impresses me.

Swarovski CL 10x30 binoculars
Leupold VX2 and VX3 scopes ( served me well for years)
Zeiss Conquest scopes
.416 Ruger
Barnes TSX bullets
Swift A-Frames
Leatherman tool (Charge)
Cabela’s heavyweight marino Wool boot socks (older ones: new not as good).
Kudu merino neck gaiter

FirstLite wool
Kifaru packs
Kifaru sleeping bags and blankets
Swaro Binos
Darn Tough socks
Rand hats
Tucker holsters
Filson wool jackets and tin cloth pants
Randolph sunglasses
Atlas Bipods
Padron Serie 1926
Sullivan leather gloves
Petzl headlights
CAT tourniquets
Heather's Choice

Coming from the land of the merino this is heresy but for African hunting I prefer cotton socks and the best are the Thorlo Tennis socks the long ones. Great cushioning and you feet stay drier on those long tracking hunts.

I bought a set of Courtneys on my last trip to Africa, they do look nice but they are heavy and offer no support. I actually prefer my Merrells MOAB with Gore Tex not as quiet but OK & cheap.

Zeiss Victory Binos in 7 x 42

Model 70 Winchester action then a custom rifle built around it

Leather Safari Ching Sling

Talley QD rings on custom bases

Swarovski Circle dot reticle illuminated - like an electronic peep sight. S&B have one too but the Swarovski one is nicer. PV 1.24-4 x 24 Swarovski

I used to hate them but for big game hunting a FFP scope is the way to go- the Europeans got it right! You want that reticle to magnify so much quicker acquisition on big game.

Stanley flasks and mugs etc. Courteney boots, like old friends. Els leather everything. Melville and Moon canvas wear and campaign furniture. Westley Richards shirts, excellent style and nice and long so they dont keep pulling out.

I'll chip in, despite my rather limited experience compared to most:
- Swarovski Binoculars 10x42
- Leatherman Charge TTi
- Fallkniven F1
- Tasmanian Tiger Mission Pack MKIII (Christmas present, so still to be tested, but all TT gear I have has been amazing so far)
- Beretta O/U 12ga Silver Pigeon Grade V
- Swarovski Scopes, I have an older Z4i 2.5-10x56 SR which is amazingly clear
- Mauser M03 Extreme in .300WM (beautifully built, but I do not have enough rounds through it yet)

does having the mission pack mean you are a missionary?
if so africa would be a place to go.
bruce.

FirstLite wool
Kifaru packs
Kifaru sleeping bags and blankets
Swaro Binos
Darn Tough socks
Rand hats
Tucker holsters
Filson wool jackets and tin cloth pants
Randolph sunglasses
Atlas Bipods
Padron Serie 1926
Sullivan leather gloves
Petzl headlights
CAT tourniquets
Heather's Choice
CAT tourniquets? I pray I’ll never need one. I do bring a med kit in my pack. The bandaids, athletic tape and electrical tape always seem to get used.

Firstlight clothing keeps coming up. I have never used it. Is it comparable to Kuiu or Patagonia?

To many to name, but the things that give me pleasure to use daily and realy make a difference to my hunting, and for that matter day to day existence are:

*Land Cruiser 79 double cab
*Courteney Patrol and Selous Boots
*My old Geovid 10x40, although heavy has never let me down
*Austrian or German riflescopes - hunting rifles don’t have exposed turrets
*Carhartt jacket. Impenetrable to african thorns
*Webley & Scott PHV1 .450-400 by George Gibbs. She shoots straight. Every day. So many mates with new doubles keep having to tweak loads. This girl gets the same diet from day one, and everything I shoot dies.
*The right sticks for the job - be thay 4Stable Sticks in open country, a light wooden twin stick in the bush, or a small Manfrotto and Hogsaddle on pigbaits
*Warthog knife sharpener at 20&25 degrees respectively.
*Gary Von Gruffs little fixblade EDC for cleaning mostly bushpig and other game I hunt myself, and a handfull of F. Dick knives kept sharp for labour to use.
*Rangebag with all the Metric, Imperial, Torx etc etc bits, as well as a torque wrench in when clients come. I’m almost guaranteed to fasten a scope or adjust a trigger or something.
*Stanley mug and french press combo
* Thermocell to repell mozzies whilst sitting in a sugarcane bait for bushpig on a humid day after rain - if I could only get the gas here regularly

To many to name, but the things that give me pleasure to use daily and realy make a difference to my hunting, and for that matter day to day existence are:

*Land Cruiser 79 double cab
*Courteney Patrol and Selous Boots
*My old Geovid 10x40, although heavy has never let me down
*Austrian or German riflescopes - hunting rifles don’t have exposed turrets
*Carhartt jacket. Impenetrable to african thorns
*Webley & Scott PHV1 .450-400 by George Gibbs. She shoots straight. Every day. So many mates with new doubles keep having to tweak loads. This girl gets the same diet from day one, and everything I shoot dies.
*The right sticks for the job - be thay 4Stable Sticks in open country, a light wooden twin stick in the bush, or a small Manfrotto and Hogsaddle on pigbaits
*Warthog knife sharpener at 20&25 degrees respectively.
*Gary Von Gruffs little fixblade EDC for cleaning mostly bushpig and other game I hunt myself, and a handfull of F. Dick knives kept sharp for labour to use.
*Rangebag with all the Metric, Imperial, Torx etc etc bits, as well as a torque wrench in when clients come. I’m almost guaranteed to fasten a scope or adjust a trigger or something.
*Stanley mug and french press combo
* Thermocell to repell mozzies whilst sitting in a sugarcane bait for bushpig on a humid day after rain - if I could only get the gas here regularly
Hi Dewald,

I've seen the Carhartt jacked mentioned many times. Could you send a link of an example? Because when looking up Carthartt jackets, I mostly find very light wind breakers that look like they would be torn to shreds just by being in the vicinity of brush...

thanks,

V.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg