Best Flight Route US to Windhoek?

US to Windhoek Best Flight Route (1st Timers)

• Total voters
I'll add that there are airports that I won't or can't fly through. I haven't had a vaccination for yellow fever and they don't like to give it to anyone over 50 years old. So, that rules out flying through Addis Ababa. I've not flown Ethiopian Air, but have heard horror stories. I won't fly through Istanbul (just because of instability). I've been through Cairo without a problem, but it would not be my first choice.

I like Frankfurt and Munich. Heathrow is OK, not great.

I don't carry guns with me and I never willingly check a bag. However, I am told by outfitters, that if you're traveling with guns, don't even think about flying through the UK. I have heard (on this forum) that Frankfurt can be difficult if you're traveling with weapons but when I asked airport police they didn't know anything about that.

Good luck with your arrangements.

I have flown twice SAA Washington Dulles to Windhoek. Two eight hour legs with a stop in Dakar or Ghana. No issues either time. 5:30 pm departure and arrive Joburg about the same time. You can overnight or transfer and fly to Windhoek. Arrives 10:30 pm. Baggage check all the way through.

What’s your favorite hotel to stay for an overnight in Johannesburg? I’ve only done the intercontinental...in September we get in at 5:45 and fly out the next am at 8:45 to PE

What’s your favorite hotel to stay for an overnight in Johannesburg? I’ve only done the intercontinental...in September we get in at 5:45 and fly out the next am at 8:45 to PE

I’ve only stay at Intercontinental and Africa Sky. That’s said my choices would be Intercontinental or City Lodge, both on airport grounds. Africa Sky was ok, but staying at the airport was easier.

I think we are going to go the Joburg route.

Not that I buy into media hype, but with the trip being so close, a factor of the decision is the amount of coronavirus cases in Qatar and border bordering countries. Not interested in being quarantined because of some media craziness, and it's too risky to assume it's going to clear up in 5 months.

On that note, how about some reccomendations for your favorite places to get a room for the Joburg overnight?

City Lodge in the airport is fine if you want convenience, but Africa Sky is fantastic, great food, free beer, plenty of room to walk around and stretch the ol' legs........Africa Sky also has a US bank account where you can physically go deposit money into their account for your bill before you leave. It's super convenient.

Reactions: WAB
I also done a bit of international flying in my years and minimizing trip time and length of layover works best for me. On 2 week safari wasting 1 or 2 days on jet lag recovery is not a good use of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smits

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg