Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
What would be the best chokes for this as a field gun?

Availible 1/2 and 3/4

fits perfect
on the big hare hunts (the hares are far away) and for goose hunting I use these chokes. Geese in our area are never close. I have often used full/full for this purpose.
But my results were always better with a little more openness.

Many are perceived to be 3/4 and full but when measured are actually 1/2 and 3/4...
Not the most beautiful to look at but strong reliable shotguns...

What stock is preferred for a field gun Enhlish straight or Prince of Whales Pistol grip type?

My poormans double on same shotgun has English straight stock...

It really makes a difference in what you’re after. Pass shooting geese vs ruffed grouse over a pointer. I always shoot as open a choke as I can get away with and with today’s modern shot shells you can get away with a lot. Don’t be afraid of open chokes.
As far as stock style goes, I’m gonna say a pistol grip wins the money. More control plain and simple. I know hunting and shooting clays aren’t the same thing but I don’t think many straight stocks end up in the winner’s circle.

I prefer the Prince of Wales grip. The straight stock is more classic (especially when chasing quail in the southern US), but I have just never been a fan.

That said, @WAB might have some good pointers for your selection.

It really makes a difference in what you’re after. Pass shooting geese vs ruffed grouse over a pointer. I always shoot as open a choke as I can get away with and with today’s modern shot shells you can get away with a lot. Don’t be afraid of open chokes.
As far as stock style goes, I’m gonna say a pistol grip wins the money. More control plain and simple. I know hunting and shooting clays aren’t the same thing but I don’t think many straight stocks end up in the winner’s circle.
I am in Africa so here I shoot doves and pigeons, sand grouse, francolin, spurfowl and guinea fowl...not so much waterfowl as ducks and geese so rather an allrounder and nothing too serious.
And then want to use it for some duikers in forest while calling.
I have a 1905 Greener shotgun with unkown chokes, 30 inch Roses steel barrels but the stock does not fit me and the trigger guard keeps whacking my middle finger and I have not been able to whack jack with it so it is going down the line.......

Most recently for goose hunting I've been using a FULL choke because the ranges have been as far as 50 yards. That said, I truly believe that the cartridge being used is just as (if not more) important as the choke.

Example...
Up until recently myself and my friend have been using steel or steel/bismuth blend for goose and duck. The 2022 season was the first time we've used TSS or TSS/steel blend and the birds are folding like lawn chairs. No doubt the density of the TSS being the major factor.

As a result of these results my friend has switched from FULL to SKEET (what you would call 1/4) for the fast moving ducks. He's been knocking them down much more easily with this and they are still dying quick. I might be investing in a SKEET choke for the fast fliers after seeing these results.

Of course pattern testing is key, but there is no denying actual field results. Here's my friend (IGS) with a Wood Duck taken yesterday morning with a SKEET choke and Federal TSS 3 & 9 ammo at 50 yards...
1667653000896.png

As for the stock shape, I believe this is very personal. Everyone likes something different and that may change with what's on the menu. Personally I prefer a pistol grip for everything from sporting clays, to walk up game and waterfowl. It what works for me. To each his own.

If you are wanting an effective upland gun, I suggest fairly open chokes. I usually shoot Skeet 1 and Skeet 2, or skeet and light modified. Certainly no tighter than Improved Cylinder and Modified. You can be effective to about 40 to 45 yards, which probably the practical limit for upland gunning.

If the straight stock on your old Greener makes the trigger guard pound the second trigger on your trigger hand, shift your trigger hand around and slightly further to the rear or try a semi-pistol or Prince-of-Wales grip.

Shotgunning is a 'close up' game and an athletic and instinctive sport. Having a properly fitted gun is a great help.

I use IC/M in a straight stock SxS for upland hunting and works great on francolin and guineas with 34gr #5. I’ve tried it on pigeons, however prefer tighter chokes. I use M/IM for pigeons and waterfowl with great results (gyppos, ducks and spurwing). On a recent blue duiker hunt I switched chokes to IC/M (invector plus chokes) and the shot pattern was still relatively tight. The choke and shot combination should be considered in light of the anticipated shot distance.

In terms of stock shape, I find the straight stock and round action carries much easier than my Browning O/U. However, as mentioned, stock fit is the most important factor. Prins of Wales is the best of both worlds.

Hard to beat Improved or even skeet x full on doubles for the field

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!