Best fit between .22 WMR and .270 Winchester?

Considering you are using factory ammo, choosing the .243 would be a plus as far as ammo availability is concerned. I know it's popular and available most anywhere in RSA and for sure in the U.S. I'd bet every LGS has a good supply of it. I've seen it on the shelves at two gunshops in Blomfontein, RSA.

Could I make a plea for .257 Roberts? With something like 87gr Vmax will shoot very fast and flat for varmints, but with something like 120gr Nosler Partitions will make an excellent deer round

Considering you are using factory ammo, choosing the .243 would be a plus as far as ammo availability is concerned. I know it's popular and available most anywhere in RSA and for sure in the U.S. I'd bet every LGS has a good supply of it. I've seen it on the shelves at two gunshops in Blomfontein, RSA.
Meant to say seen it SOLD at those gunshops.

flat8, rather than purchasing a new 243, have you considered buying a used one? IMHO the offerings of most American Firearms makers seriously declined in quality after the "crash" of 2008. Most of the guns I've purchased are 40 to 50 years old. As a general rule they are more accurate than current offerings. My go to rifle is a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser. It is well over a hundred years old and continues to shoot sub MOA groups. I've won several State Championships with my Win Mod 70 in 243 but it won't outshoot my old Swede.

flat8, rather than purchasing a new 243, have you considered buying a used one? IMHO the offerings of most American Firearms makers seriously declined in quality after the "crash" of 2008. Most of the guns I've purchased are 40 to 50 years old. As a general rule they are more accurate than current offerings. My go to rifle is a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser. It is well over a hundred years old and continues to shoot sub MOA groups. I've won several State Championships with my Win Mod 70 in 243 but it won't outshoot my old Swede.

I definitely am on the lookout for a quality pre-owned as well.

Of your two choices, I vote for the .243

22WMR to .270? Hmmm ......that is a pretty large gap. I suggest you fill it with two or three rifles.....................FWB

If you want something about 1/2 way between the 22 Mag and the 270 Win then the 222, 223 or 22-250 is it. If you want something as a legitimate big game back-up for the 270 in a lightweight package then I'd lean toward the 260 Remington and shy away from the 243- JMO... having hunted and shot big game (large mule deer) with all three calibers- the 270, 243 and the 260. If you are so inclined, the 6.5 Creedmoor is also a strong contender plus it sounds cooler and rolls off the tongue slicker around the campfire and web chat... but has actually slightly less poop than the 260. Its advantage is the shorter body/longer neck handles a slightly heavier/longer bullet a little better in a short action than does the 260. The 260 is ideally suited to something like a 125 gr Nosler Partition or similar bonded bullet. Just my experience and my 2 centavos.

I have been following this thread but the answer was just on the tip of my tung but couldn’t quite figure it out. Well it finally came to me last night in my sleep....

It’s a 375 H&H!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Add a 375 to your 22 and 270 and your all covered! Problem solved(y):whistle:

I have been following this thread but the answer was just on the tip of my tung but couldn’t quite figure it out. Well it finally came to me last night in my sleep....

It’s a 375 H&H!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Add a 375 to your 22 and 270 and your all covered! Problem solved(y):whistle:

Love this. I actually just sold a Browning A-Bolt .375 H&H and replaced it with a New Haven Model 70 in .375 H&H.

If you want something about 1/2 way between the 22 Mag and the 270 Win then the 222, 223 or 22-250 is it. If you want something as a legitimate big game back-up for the 270 in a lightweight package then I'd lean toward the 260 Remington and shy away from the 243- JMO... having hunted and shot big game (large mule deer) with all three calibers- the 270, 243 and the 260. If you are so inclined, the 6.5 Creedmoor is also a strong contender plus it sounds cooler and rolls off the tongue slicker around the campfire and web chat... but has actually slightly less poop than the 260. Its advantage is the shorter body/longer neck handles a slightly heavier/longer bullet a little better in a short action than does the 260. The 260 is ideally suited to something like a 125 gr Nosler Partition or similar bonded bullet. Just my experience and my 2 centavos.

I have a .223, but it's an AR and I don't consider that a proper hunting rifle!

257 Roberts

I may be the odd man out here...but my view, it is hard to go wrong with a light 25-06. You can easily scale down into varmint bullets below 100gr and have a respectable varmint gun...or you can go up to 120 gr bullets and have a great medium game rifle, suitable for deer and similar.

The 25 cal doesn't get a lot of respect...but it is a great round with huge flexibility.

270 managed recoil ammunition fits the ballistics between 22 WRM and 270 Win and you save space in the safe for something a little north of the .375 H&H...perhaps in a double? :sleep:

One thing is for certain, you’re on your way to a respectable hunting battery! I’ll second adding a .375 to your arsenal though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg