Daktari

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
US: FL, ME
Hello where do ya'll think is the best fishing in South Florida?

Fresh or Saltwater? Fresh is probably Lake Okechobee along with Lake Istokpoga near Sebring. Saltwater - well, you can't go wrong with the Keys flats, inshore and offshore. Everglades City / Chokoloskee is great backcountry - nothing like a tarpon or snook from a skiff in a mangrove channel. Further up, Captiva, Boca Grande.

Depends, for Peacock bass, any canal in South Florida. For bass, can't beat lake Okeechobee. For salt water, I would go to South Florida, Isla Morada key, 10-12 miles and you are in blue water and another 4-5 miles and you are on the golf stream. Depending who you go with, you can go to the Isla Morada Hump, and you can hit dolphin, tuna, and jacks. On the flats you have tarpon, bone fish, pompano, jacks and sometimes snook.

Sorry I meant Saltwater! I'm stuck right now between Key West and Islamorada

I’d go Islamorada, I believe they have the best spots and Capt. I fished out of Key Largo, and lived in Homestead. Key West had a better night life, for after fishing. :) Good luck!!

Lower Keys, Tarpon migration next month, out front in cuts or back country. There is not much better fishing than sight casting to very large fish in beautiful water.

Lived in the keys my entire life until a few years ago... islamorada would be my pick I'm just not into the party crowd down south but some good cpts between isla and marathon

Damn good place to be stuck. I prefer Islamorada

If you want fishing, then Islamorada (crowded much of the time) or one of the other key's further south like Long Key, Marathon, Big Pine, etc.. The fishing in Key West is good too, but even more crowded than Islamorada.

I used to fish the Flats Gulf Side when I lived in Marathon

The entire Keys chain has good, consistent fishing opportunities both offshore and back country, and no shortage of good guides and charter boats from Key Largo to Key West.. The Keys have changed quite a bit in the last 20 years. There are not too many places you can go that are not busy pretty much all year long. The locals from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale take up the slack when the out-of state tourists retreat in the summer months.

That said, the least pressured area to fish would be the lower Keys beginning around Marathon, down to Big Pine, and Sugarloaf Keys. Not as much night life in this part of the Keys so it's less crowded overall. Key Largo to Islamorada is going to be busy all year but with more locals. Key West will be the busiest with the most tourist traffic along with the most variety of entertainment day and night. Great bars and restaurants in Key West, but it is also home to some of the strangest (but friendliest) people in the world. If you want a more laid back atmosphere, I would suggest the middle Keys. If you want more nightlife and non-fishing entertainment options, I suggest Key West.

Fishing wise, I would give a slight edge to Key West only because they have more options when the weather or time of year dictates the fishing conditions. No real difference in charter price between the different Keys. It has become expensive throughout. Expect to pay a minimum of $500 for a half day of backcountry fishing for 2 anglers, and a minimum of $1,400 for a full day of offshore fishing for up to 6 anglers.

The Miami area is also a serious option to consider with some excellent fishing although not as consistent as it will be in the Keys. I spent my first 20 employed years charter fishing in South Florida. I have many friends still in the business and I am happy to recommend a charter captain for you if you are interested. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Have fun!

The Miami area is also a serious option to consider with some excellent fishing although not as consistent as it will be in the Keys. I spent my first 20 employed years charter fishing in South Florida. I have many friends still in the business and I am happy to recommend a charter captain for you if you are interested. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Have fun!

It doesn't get any easier than Miami. Fly non-stop, no need to rent a car, no insane parking fees, and you might even be able to be picked up by your guide at the hotel. That pays for another day of fishing :P Fisherman:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you