Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
I took my only big bore a 416 Rigby to the range over the weekend. I fired 2 shots at 25 yds. to make sure the shots were at least on paper. They were almost touching so I decided to move the target out a bit. Since this is the first time I've ever fired a DG caliber I didn't have a clue as to what distance it should be zeroed at. Hence the question. What is the optimal / recommended distance at which s DG caliber rifle should be zeroed?

Depends on the bullet you are shooting and at what!

I'm planning to zero the new .416 Rigby at 200 yards using the 350 grain TTSX (2674FPS) for all those Dangerous deer I'll be hunting with it at the start.
(+2.2 at 100 yards -9.4 inches at 300 yards -27.8 inches at 400 yards.)

I'm the least experienced here, but I plan to start at 100 yds, and see where it shoots at closer ranges. I should note that I'm only using iron sites, but I would guess if buffalo were the intended target, that would be a good distance. The caliber is obviously effective far beyond 100, but from what I've read, a PH will try to get you that close or closer. If it's elephant your after, then I would guess 50 yards. I'm positive those with actual experience will chime in and correct me soon though.

Art I did all at 100 yards and it has worked out fine!

50 yards. This is a dangerous game gun, so you should be that close or closer. And if you're dead on at 50, you will be near enough at 100 that you won't have to adjust at all.

If you're taking long shots with your .416, I'd think it was time to get another rifle!

I do mine at 50m with the irons and know that at 100m I will be on target.
Its a DG rifle for sure, but some of these Puku and Bushbuck get kinda aggressive so dont want to be caught out by one of them sneaky buggers. :D

greatly depends on what you will be using the rifle for.

-matt

greatly depends on what you will be using the rifle for.

-matt

correct answer IMHO , all depends what you are using the rifle for , if you intend hunting a buffalo with a 400g bullet you will most probably want to hunt as close as possible an therefore zero the rifle at not more than 50m.

however if you are wanting to use the rifle as an all rounder , much like @matt85 uses his 416 Rem with a 300g bullet at faster speed , then zero it at a longer /further distance.

What Matt85 says....
You did not mention whether you are shooting irons or have a scope on your rifle.
A 400 cal rifle with a scope is a great do it all rifle plains game and dangerous game. I'm taking my 400H&H to Zim this August using a 360gr soft point bullet just short of 2500fps for Eland and as a scoped backup for Buff. Your 416 using a 400grn bullet has pretty much the same trajectory as a 300grn bullet from a 375 H&H just more punch. explore it's capabilities you'll be pleasently surprised.

The rifle is a Ruger No. 1 with a low power variable Nikon scope. I will be using 400 Gr. bullets. The most probable quarry would be Cape Buffalo. I have no intentions or thoughts of using it for any other type of game.

If it has a scope zero the 416 to 100 yds and it should also be very close to zero at 50yds also. Look at trajectory chart. Iron sights zero at 50yds. If it is for Dg then once you settle on a bullett and load it likes with soft points then try and get solids that will shoot to the same POI and you are good to go! My 416 and I leave next week to go put holes in some DG cant wait!:):):)
It will be stoked with 400gr swift A frames and 400 gr barnes solids that all shoot to one hole at 50 and 100yds. velocity is 2525 fps. 5 clicks on the swaro and she goes to dead zero at 200 and I ain't shooting farther than that with a 416(y)

50 yards. This is a dangerous game gun, so you should be that close or closer. And if you're dead on at 50, you will be near enough at 100 that you won't have to adjust at all.

If you're taking long shots with your .416, I'd think it was time to get another rifle!

You don't think it's a good sniper rifle? I expect to be schooled when I start pulling the trigger on my new rifle.

50 Yards zero
10 yards -1.1 inches
100 yards +o.2 inches
150 yards -1.2 inches
200 yards -4.1 inches
250 yards -8.8 inches
Looks like you are covered out to 200.

(same bullet data used in earlier post)

You don't think it's a good sniper rifle. I expect to be schooled when I start pulling the trigger on my new rifle.

50 Yards zero
10 yards -1.1 inches
100 yards +o.2 inches
150 yards -1.2 inches
200 yards -4.1 inches
250 yards -8.8 inches
Looks like you are covered out to 200.

(same bullet data used in earlier post)
I really like this ballistic calculators. They keep new from needing to learn math to figure it out. However, I had a short discussion with a physics professor the other day, and shooting at an angle is actually really simple to figure out the elevation hold needed.

I have only used the calculator in load development. After that, it is all up to me. Angle, etc.
After missing a shot at a sheep on a very steep slope, through my ignorance, I educated myself on the math.
If I am worried the range finder comes out. :)

I've read how the mil dot reticle can be used for rams estimation, but never looked into it. It seems fairly simple to figure out. I like the appearance of the BDC better though

I have shot numerous game with my 400 using Barnes 300 grn leaving the barrel at 2700 fps. Don't limit yourself with such a multi talented caliber

Since you need surgical precision for a DG rifle as life and death is in the balance, I think it's time for math.

Maximum Point Blank Range calculations.

What is your MPBR range? Plus or Minus 1.5" or 2" max?

What yardage do you zero to accomplish that?

What is the range of distances that get you a 1.5" MPBR with your load?

I'd wager the range is like 28-124 yards with a 68 yard zero or some such numbers.

I always zero my .416 with a 400 gr bullet at 25 meters/yards that puts me back on zero at about 150 meets/170 yards. This worked well for me for a number of years. But it all depends what you want to use it for and what works best for you.
My other DGR a 450 Rigby is also sighted dead on for 25 meters with 550 gr projectile.
I like to get as close as I can just to be sure, but then I don't have a PH backing me up.
Best of luck...

1.5" scope height
2400 fps
400gr
.316 BC

1.5" MPBR deviation high/low gets you perfection:

Near Zero: 35 yards
Far Zero: 125 yards
Minimum PBR: 15 yards
Maximum PBR: 143 yards
Sight-in at 100yds: 0.6" high

If you want to be a bit riskier, a 2" MPBR variance high/low gets this:

Near Zero: 32 yards
Far Zero: 136 yards
Minimum PBR: 9 yards
Maximum PBR: 156 yards
Sight-in at 100yds: 0.91"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Longrange33

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 29 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross