Best Countries to hunt Big Five

Saul

AH elite
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, UK, Hungary, Argentina, Mexico
Ive been talking to a bunch of different outfitters and when I tell them I want to hunt trophy plains game, specifically kudu and zebra, they all quote me a low price in south Africa. Then, when I mention that I want to hunt Elephant, cape buffalo, and lion, and that I want the lion and elephant to be free range, I am told by almost all of them that I would have to go to Mozambique or Zimbabwe to hunt free range lion and elephant because the highest numbers of free range lions and elephant are in those two countries. All of this comes with a considerable markup and extra travel/trophy costs of course. Is what they are telling me true, or are they just trying to scam me? What country in Africa actually has the largest populations of free range elephant and lion? I always thought it was south Africa but apparently not.

They aren't trying to scam you per se, the elephants from Mozambique are not exportable. There are no cheap options per se either. Good elephants can be found in Namibia for decent prices too. Wild lion, Tanzania is probably the best place.

The outfitters are right on the money.

Huntable populations of Elephant & Lion are exactly where they have told you.

You can also hunt Lion in Tanzania, Berkina Faso, Occasionally Namibia.

Costs in these places are significantly higher and getting there also costs.

I would be able to help you on Lion but as mentioned in the replies above Ele from Moz are not exportable to the US...

I do have one tag available on our new Niassa area for now, it will be the first year that we are operational on this particular [/U] block

Feel free to let me know should you need any assistance.

My best always

Saul, some of the other reasons these hunts cost a lot more, to have free range "big 5", you need a large area of ground, larger the area, the higher the running costs, more roads, more staff etc..my block in Niassa,Mozambique is 690 000 acres, we are allocated 3 elephant a season, I have just received all the quotas for the different coutadas(concessions) in Mozambique, most areas get 1 0r 2 elephant.

You also have to look at the danger factor, risk, hunting an elephant compared to a kudu or zebra, I won't put my life on the line for peanuts, and everyday you out on elephant hunt, your life is in danger.

Jaco, thanks for pointing out that elephant are exportable from Mozambique, just not to the USA. CITIES allocated 80 permits last year, but US F&W seem to know better than CITIES.

Yup right on the money
Best bet financially for what you are looking at is Zimbawe.
But wild lion are not cheap so get ready for $ 60-70 000 hunt for lion and trophy elephant.

Success on lion is 70% in the best areas, so be ready for 2-3 go rounds.
Elephant are plentyfull but cracking 60pds can be difficult to. So don't listen to toooooo much sales talk. Book with reputable guys with references.

Wild lion in the great areas like the Bubye or Save having waiting lists years long but success is great.

I'm doing 2 full bag safaris in Zim this year lion, buff, leopard , sable .The area I will be hunting has gone 100% on lion for the last 3 years, so here's hoping it produces for us this year.

Mail me if you have any questions, or need any more info
Regards
Dave

P.S lion in South Africa are mostly ranch cats, the best option is an area 10 000 ha ( 24 000acres ) hunt tracking on foot for a very nice full maned lion $ 25 -27 000 . Lotsa walking, plains game also available on the same area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeCast

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg