Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I recently bought a pair of Swaro SLC 15x56 binos from Mark. As these are for back country coues hunting, I need an effective way to carry them with my pack. I use an Eberlestock GunRunner for this hunt. Naturally I went to Eberlestock for the bino pack and bought their modular recon system in large. Bottom line, the pouch is too small for the binos. I can get them in and out, but it is a fight. There is no way that these are going to work with these binos. For those of you using these binos with a pack, what are you using as a chest pouch for the binos?

I’ve used the FHF Gear bino harness for a few years. According to their sizing chart on the website the large model should fit the SLC x56.

WAB

I carry my 10 X 40 Zeiss over my shoulder. The 15 X 56 go in the case and into my pack. The big binos are for SPOTTING, the 10 X 40s are for looking. Where do you carry your tripod (assuming you use one with the 15X SLCs)

Reactions: WAB

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 9.59.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 9.59.11 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 9.59.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 9.59.13 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
Call Jaret Owens at Alaska Guide Creations, tell him what you are looking for. He is really a good guy and very helpful.

WAB

I carry my 10 X 40 Zeiss over my shoulder. The 15 X 56 go in the case and into my pack. The big binos are for SPOTTING, the 10 X 40s are for looking. Where do you carry your tripod (assuming you use one with the 15X SLCs)

This is solid advice.

Leave the 15s on the tripod, in the pack.

I have a pair of 10x56 SLC that I use Alaska Guide Creations largest size successfully. the bottom pocket fits my range finder, space for a map, a couple snacks or a small radio in the side pouches and I don't notice the weight. For fast and light scouting and hunting I carry a pair of 8x30 slung under my non-dom arm but for long days in the mountains glassing, the chest rig for the large binos is very nice.

WAB

Almost everyone I know with 15s straps the tripod to their pack and places the big binos inside their pack for longer hikes in and out. If I’m walking and glassing, I’ll just carry the tripod extended with the binos attached and stop every so often.

Last fall, one of my buddies did buy the new Marsupial chest pouch to keep the 15 SLCs inside. I use Marsupial for my chest binos(8.5x42) and it’s great.

I use the kuiu bino chest harness. They work well for the Swaro El Range. The standard size fits the el range. The large size would likely (?) fit the 15’s, it is worth checking.

When I elk hunt I frequently carry a spotting scope and tripod in my pack. I’ve never used 15’s and am very curious to see how they work.

WAB

The tripod is in the pack. I’ve been considering doing exactly what you describe, but I was hoping to avoid carrying the 10x40’s. You’re probably right though.

I too would urge you to treat them as a spotting scope. If you have room, and a pivoting head, simply leave them attached to the tripod In the pack. Such a glass is almost impossible to use without one in any case.

I’ve used the FHF Gear bino harness for a few years. According to their sizing chart on the website the large model should fit the SLC x56.

FHF gear is absolutely the way to go. Wholly endorsed.

On a separate topic, you ever consider selling the x56 (you'll get almost all your money back) and buying a more practical bino for your chest such as a Leica ER in 8x32 or 10x40?

15x is too big to comfortably have on your chest while shooting, definitely if climbing or bowhunting. And they jiggle too much at 15x. For what you wanted the 15x to do you need a spotting scope in your pack that you'll less frequently than you think and a 8x-10x smaller bino on your chest that you'll realize you use every 5 mins.

In any case, FHF gear is the way to go.

FHF gear is absolutely the way to go. Wholly endorsed.

On a separate topic, you ever consider selling the x56 (you'll get almost all your money back) and buying a more practical bino for your chest such as a Leica ER in 8x32 or 10x40?

15x is too big to comfortably have on your chest while shooting, definitely if climbing or bowhunting. And they jiggle too much at 15x. For what you wanted the 15x to do you need a spotting scope in your pack that you'll less frequently than you think and a 8x-10x smaller bino on your chest that you'll realize you use every 5 mins.

In any case, FHF gear is the way to go.
The 15 X 56 SLCs replace a spotting scope. For some hunting scenarios 15 or 20X binos are better than a spotting scope. It is much easier to look through binos for long periods - less eye and neck strain. Of course, for serious spotting you must have a tripod and correct pan or ball head (even for a spotting scope) and a bino adapter. Both these get carried in the back pack. Big binos are useless without a tripod or support of some kind.

I use my 10 X 40 Zeiss glasses for most hunting, and sometimes I also carry the 15 X 56 SLCs for long range glassing - critical when hunting Couses deer in the mountains they inhabit and useful in a lot of western hunting scenarios.

I use Badlands Bino-X chest rig, and like it. I also like that there is no zipper, the flap is held by magnets, so there is no noise and it holds the binos secure.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. Just to be clear, I do propose to use my 15x56 SLC’s primarily with a tripod. I am considering carrying them in a chest pouch for a quick check while hiking to avoid also carrying my 10x40 SLC’s. I’ve been playing with the 15’s on the mountain to check the viability of the idea. I’d say the jury is out at the moment. Anyway, I really appreciate the feedback, some great leads if I do go that route.

If I do pack the 10x40’s as well I will not use a chest pouch as they are equipped with the Rick Young system which I love. I tried that system out on the 15x56’s and they are just too heavy for it.

Well, I just received the Kuiu pro bino harness, size xl. It is much more comfortable than the eberlestock and fits the 15x56's perfectly. I'm packing up the mountain in the AM to see if leaving the 10x40's home is a viable option, or if I will be packing both pair. Our typical MO on Coues is to pack to a high point and set up the tripods. There is the odd check on the way in and out without a tripod, I just have to decide if I can manage with the 15x56's for that. The only way to be sure is to get up high and glass some deer at 500 to 1000 without the tripod.

Goo
Well, I just received the Kuiu pro bino harness, size xl. It is much more comfortable than the eberlestock and fits the 15x56's perfectly. I'm packing up the mountain in the AM to see if leaving the 10x40's home is a viable option, or if I will be packing both pair. Our typical MO on Coues is to pack to a high point and set up the tripods. There is the odd check on the way in and out without a tripod, I just have to decide if I can manage with the 15x56's for that. The only way to be sure is to get up high and glass some deer at 500 to 1000 without the tripod.
Good decision.

Might as well put a tube of chapstick in the side pocket of that bino harness right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.