Best Caliber for sheep hunting

you have probably just described the forte of the nosler partition.
upper middle weight for calibre on thinner skinned, lighter boned animals.
this is a far cry from big boned, thick skinned thins that stomp, gouge, or bite.
bruce.

I have shot one sheep. Dall ram in the Yukon territory, 325 yards. .308 Winchester, 165gr. Nosler partition. It worked.

Funny how these boring old calibers just seem to get the job done!

funny how good a 7mm stw with a 150ish gn bullet would have done on a sheep at that range.
the target would have been within a sensible point blank range and you just aim dead on.
bruce.

Nothing against it, I have some whiz bang guns myself. However, I’m very comfortable with my 7x57 to 400 and a bit. No muss, no fuss, just gets the job done. I guess the romantic in me just likes the classics.

For the same reason I do not use scopes with externally adjustable turrets. Tens of thousands of rounds in prairie dog towns taught me how to dope the wind and know my trajectory.

Yes, the boring old cartridges have been used the world over and will continue to do well.
I’ve owned a few .308 and still hunt with one. The gun nut in me says I need something a little more interesting, you only live once and I have the nod to build a lightweight rifle. That will be a .280ai for me.

The 280a
Yes, the boring old cartridges have been used the world over and will continue to do well.
I’ve owned a few .308 and still hunt with one. The gun nut in me says I need something a little more interesting, you only live once and I have the nod to build a lightweight rifle. That will be a .280ai for me.
The 280ai is an excellent cartridge. THE best sheep cartridge is Roy Weatherbys best, his 7mm Magnum. Less recoil and muzzle blast than the 300, optimum case capacity, velocity, energy, bullet weight.

I'd not consider using a factory rifle on a ($20,000+ hunt of a lifetime). I see sooooo many shots missed on sheep hunting videos using factory rifles and ammo. Sure, it can be done (as it often is with those poorly placed long-range shots, necessitating more sloppy follow-ups) but a semi- or fully-custom rig with handloaded ammo (and proper optics mated with a good rangefinder, etc.) with lots of practice beforehand will give you the confidence to take sheep cleanly at nearly any range (from HOT 6.5 to HOT .338.) I like the Bansner Ultimate Ovis rifle (understatement of the century) and would go a bit hotter than '06 case size. ;)

I shot my Dall ram with a Browning xbolt in 300 win mag, 180 grain federal premium nosler partitions. Rifle is topped with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14. I have a Kenton custom turret and have taken game up to 450 yards with this set up. My Dall sheep, was a bit different. Took 5 hours to get in position but once were there and peaked over the ridge, I shot him at 40 yards. Could have killed him with a bow.
This set up is probably a bit heavy for a traditional sheep/mountain rifle but I have so much confidence in this set up and have taken so many animals with it, as long as I can carry it, I’ll be taking it whenever I can. I hope to get drawn for a Kodiak Island Mt. Goat tag this year and if I do, this will be the rifle I take with me. It has also accounted for an impressive Aoudad sheep in West Texas a few years ago. That was a bit longer of a shot at 225 yards.
F73D659A-39A8-4A11-9726-3E63702A22AE.jpeg
E1943A04-5A16-4F29-8611-BC1D41834D4B.jpeg

.300 Win Mag is an Excellent cartridge for longer range shooting (was the 3,000 yd champ for years!) I've had 3 and will "never not" have one. The round that taught me handloading (out of economics as a teen-but pinpoint accuracy was yielded.) Best (accidental) shot of my life as a teen: 2 deer/1 shot, kneeling 150 yds in deep snow (the 2nd was lined up with the 1st and I had 2 tags.) It was a long day. 450 yds is about the end of effective range of the Nos PTs, but also my favorite hunting bullet within this range.
I shot my Dall ram with a Browning xbolt in 300 win mag, 180 grain federal premium nosler partitions. Rifle is topped with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14. I have a Kenton custom turret and have taken game up to 450 yards with this set up. My Dall sheep, was a bit different. Took 5 hours to get in position but once were there and peaked over the ridge, I shot him at 40 yards. Could have killed him with a bow.
This set up is probably a bit heavy for a traditional sheep/mountain rifle but I have so much confidence in this set up and have taken so many animals with it, as long as I can carry it, I’ll be taking it whenever I can. I hope to get drawn for a Kodiak Island Mt. Goat tag this year and if I do, this will be the rifle I take with me. It has also accounted for an impressive Aoudad sheep in West Texas a few years ago. That was a bit longer of a shot at 225 yards. View attachment 515812View attachment 515816
n

With one exception, all my sheep have been killed with a 300 Win Mag. A Rocky Mt Big Horn I used a lovely 257 Ackley Improved At 100 yards. All were one shot kills Most 100 t0 200 yards. One Marco Polo was a 300 yard shot inTajikistan. The other was an Argali Argali in Mongolia also a 300 yard shot. Use an accurate rifle you are confident shooting. Most importantly be in good shape, have good shoes. Wait for a shot you feel confident taking.

A good friend took his grand slam shooting a Winchester 74 in 270 shooting 130 grain Remington corelocks. They all fell to a single shot on ranges out to 400 yards.

A good friend took his grand slam shooting a Winchester 74 in 270 shooting 130 grain Remington corelocks. They all fell to a single shot on ranges out to 400 yards.
'have an old video of Jim Zumbo taking his w/ a Mod 70 in 3006 (he told the sad story that none of the stores had it in 270, and apparently the $ were burning a hole in his pocket,) but he took a whopper Bighorn in WY with it at...hmm 200ish yds, using a (par for the course at that time 4x weaver and a)
guide that got him close with horses.

With one exception, all my sheep have been killed with a 300 Win Mag. A Rocky Mt Big Horn I used a lovely 257 Ackley Improved At 100 yards. All were one shot kills Most 100 t0 200 yards. One Marco Polo was a 300 yard shot inTajikistan. The other was an Argali Argali in Mongolia also a 300 yard shot. Use an accurate rifle you are confident shooting. Most importantly be in good shape, have good shoes. Wait for a shot you feel confident taking.

That is some solid advice with experience to back it up. Sir, I would love to share a fire with a cigar and listen to your hunt stories. (y)

Hi Harrison E,
Prepare to become addicted ;) I just assume you are planning your first sheep hunt. If so, I would focus on most of the other gear more than I would on my choice of rifle. That and serious year-round physical training.
I thought I was in great shape before I hunted Rocky Mountain Big Horn in 2013. I am convinced "Sheep Shape" is almost unattainable unless you are climbing around the nastiest mountains you can find most of the year. Probably depends on where you will be hunting, but if your quest for sheep takes you to the Rocky Mountains of the US and Canada, or to Alaska, the primary limiting factor to success will be how good your physical condition is and how good your gear is.
I know you asked specifically about rifle and cartridge selection. Sorry to dodge the question :) I'll hit that in a moment ;)
Seriously, I think the best advice I can offer is this; be in great shape! When you think you are in the best shape of your life you're halfway there. Redouble your efforts and train harder!
Other gear - make certain you have the best boots money can buy. I really like Kennetrek's. Well broken in of course. I also like a merino wool or synthetic liner sock under a top quality wool or synthetic heavy boot sock. Make sure you have the best binoculars and spotting scope you can afford. Also, I have the KUIU bino harness that is the best I've tried so far. Very worth the $80 I paid for it.
Make sure your clothing is lightweight layerable all weather synthetics. Alot of sheep hunts take place in locations and time of year where you may have to adapt between temps of 60 degrees and sunny to blizzard and sub-zero. Top quality, lightweight gear is essential, not only for comfort but in some cases survival.
Okay, I hope that doesn't sound like a lecture. Not meant to be. If you got all that covered, perfect! You are way ahead of the game.
On choice of rifle and cartridge, I use a stainless Ruger Hawkeye with a Hogue stock. Not fancy or expensive, but very accurate and fairly lightweight. I pack it all day no problem. It is chambered in .280 Rem which in my opinion is almost perfect for sheep. Sheep are not especially tough animals to kill. Not as tough as a mule deer. A high BC bullet around 150 grains is good sheep medicine out of a 7mm. Another great choice would be a 6.5/284 with around a 130 grain bullet. Any of the WSM's from .270 thru .300 would be great too, although a .300 WSM is more gun than you need. For 500 yard shots you may be glad of the extra punch. The challenge there will be that the wind always seems to be blowing in sheep country and 500 yards is a pretty good poke at a sheep when the wind is blowing. I personally would not plan to shoot that far, but that's just me.
I really like Kimber rifles and if I were buying a brand new sheep rifle and money was not too much of an obstacle I would buy their Mountain Ascent in .280 Ackley Improved. That in my opinion would be about as perfect a sheep rifle as you could get.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/model-84m/mountain-ascent-1

Topped with something like a Leupold VX-6 3-18 would make one hell of a sheep rifle!
Regardless of rifle, you will have the experience of a lifetime (y)
Let us know what you decide and I hope to read a successful hunt report from you in the future.
My best
this whole article is right on the money and i agree on caliber selection kevin Erickson

If your sheep hunt includes camping and hunting at extremely high altitude, try to pace yourself the first couple days giving your body a chance to adjust to the thin air. Long ago, one trip into the Pamirs we camped at 15000 feet. Two chaps arrived in camp as marathon runners. They ran around camp the first evening showing off their prowess and had to be evacuated a day later with altitude sickness. Now days there are pills ( Diamox? ) and portable hyperbaric aids to prevent this.

If your sheep hunt includes camping and hunting at extremely high altitude, try to pace yourself the first couple days giving your body a chance to adjust to the thin air. Long ago, one trip into the Pamirs we camped at 15000 feet. Two chaps arrived in camp as marathon runners. They ran around camp the first evening showing off their prowess and had to be evacuated a day later with altitude sickness. Now days there are pills ( Diamox? ) and portable hyperbaric aids to prevent this.
Wow,

What about those if us with sleep apnea?

Does anyone have any ideas on surviving in remote camps?

I believe when my snoring is better when I lose weight but the sleep apnea and snoring are seperate issues, just the machine shuts me up.

The 280a

The 280ai is an excellent cartridge. THE best sheep cartridge is Roy Weatherbys best, his 7mm Magnum. Less recoil and muzzle blast than the 300, optimum case capacity, velocity, energy, bullet weight.

I'm not familiar with any of the Weatherby cartridges past the name.
A 7mm-08 was my first step outside of common rounds like .308 etc

280a.i was the first time I went all out and brought something that's not been a Standard chambering with all the common brands

I've been researching the 7prc . It seems like it might tick the box in this category for a sheep hunt.

I'd not consider using a factory rifle on a ($20,000+ hunt of a lifetime). I see sooooo many shots missed on sheep hunting videos using factory rifles and ammo. Sure, it can be done (as it often is with those poorly placed long-range shots, necessitating more sloppy follow-ups) but a semi- or fully-custom rig with handloaded ammo (and proper optics mated with a good rangefinder, etc.) with lots of practice beforehand will give you the confidence to take sheep cleanly at nearly any range (from HOT 6.5 to HOT .338.) I like the Bansner Ultimate Ovis rifle (understatement of the century) and would go a bit hotter than '06 case size. ;)

I think there are a lot of factory rifles that are Accurate, Reliable, Dependable.

If you have the budget have what you want but I think there are some good factory rifles that would prove reliable on the most expensive hunt, they might even prove reliable on the most demanding hunt.

I would not risk cheap optics on a once in a lifetime hunt.

I have a few Tikkas rifles because they have been good value.

One you could call semi custom with a C/F stock and a CF wrapped barrel put in a donor rifle brought for the build.

I have a .308 rebarrelled by the same gunsmith. I've shot clover leaf groups with both. So they are showing acceptable accuracy for a once in a lifetime hunt.

I like nice things and it would be nice to have a prestigious rifle for such a hunt but if there are budget constraints a Brand name is not going to get you a trophy a good guide and a good location is.

I'm not a trophy hunter so I see it differently but I would take a rifle I'm comfortable with if I was spending 20k on a hunt.

Our outfit guides up to nine sheep hunters a year. I’ve guided hunters who have taken 11 Grand Slams and literally, dozens of rams across the world. There’s not really a perfect rifle that everyone would agree about but I generally recommend anything from a .25-06 up to a .300 WSM or .300 WM. The newer 6.5 PRC, 7 PRC, etc… work well. Most sheep hunts are at high elevation so a lighter rifle is my preference.

I’ve taken a Grand Slam of NA sheep plus a second Rocky Mountain bighorn, a Marco Polo and have a blue sheep hunt in the works in Nepal. I used two different custom built lightweight rifles that are made for sheep hunting. One is a .300 WSM that I had built on a M70 action with a thinner tapered barrel. It weighs 5.5 pounds without the scope due to being a short action. It is very accurate. I once shot a 2.5” group with it at 400 yards.

For my Marco Polo, I used my 6.5 GAP (.300 short action ultra mag necked down to 6.5) that has a titanium action and carbon fiber wrapped barrel. It is also light but I’ve never weighed it. I took the ram at 17,050 feet in Tajikistan and I was thankful for a light rifle at such elevation. I have shot this rifle out to 1400 yards but the farthest I’ve shot it at a game animal was my Marco Polo ram at 550 yards.

CBA3762B-4FE2-45FB-88B6-B619CF97DF6D.jpeg
D5A46270-4987-4FE8-9332-6BC4D81BE878.jpeg
ED688630-31B8-4A3D-BDC8-6B988432E8A4.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.