Best Bullet Or Combination For Buffalo Hunt

WestCo

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Zimbabwe
I'm sure it's been talked about plenty, just couldn't find the thread. Looking to find out where to start for what bullet or combo of bullets to use on my buffalo hunt. I'll be shooting a Rem 700 in .375 H&H. Question is what's the best bullet to use in 300g and is it best to use an expansion for for the first shot and follow up with solids, or just use solids all the way, or expansion type all the way.

Hey mate,

If I were you I'd use the Woodleigh hydrostatically-stabilised .375 projectiles. They are 300gn and by all reports give phenomenal penetration but give a wound channel similar to a soft point.
The best of both worlds!

Russ.

Definitely first shot with a soft, follow up with solids.

here in SA our local suppliers PMP make a fantastic solid for the 375 in 286g , it actually would be my first choice solid bullet .

I'm sure it's been talked about plenty, just couldn't find the thread. Looking to find out where to start for what bullet or combo of bullets to use on my buffalo hunt. I'll be shooting a Rem 700 in .375 H&H. Question is what's the best bullet to use in 300g and is it best to use an expansion for for the first shot and follow up with solids, or just use solids all the way, or expansion type all the way.

Are you a hand loader or are you asking for factory ammo information?

I do reload, however will probably just stick to factory loads for now. By the time the gunsmith finishes rebarreling it, might not have tons of time to to mess with load development.

Definitely ask you PH/Outfitter as well about their opinion.

I do reload, however will probably just stick to factory loads for now. By the time the gunsmith finishes rebarreling it, might not have tons of time to to mess with load development.

I think I'd be looking for factory loads then that use either 300gr Barnes TSX or Swift A-Frames. I haven't shopped factory ammo for so long now, I'm not sure of this, but I think Federal was loading the TSX and Remington the A-Frames.

Swift A Frame or TSX and then solids. Some say you could use all TSX and just be fine.

Definitely ask you PH/Outfitter as well about their opinion.

(y)
do what your PH is telling you.
Everone has his own system.
Every system works,otherwise they would't survive,economically and physical.
A Dschihad because the bullets is not necessary.
Good shot placement and they fell.
Foxi

My personal favorite is the 300 gr TSX - first shot to last - regardless what my PH opines.
That said, there are half a dozen premiums which will get the job done quite efficiently. Am a strong believer in the 300 gr for buff regardless of the manufacturer.

Barnes offers factory ammo loaded with 300g TSX. Plenty for sale, just check ammoseek for the best price. A TSX may not always be the best choice, but it is almost always a damn good choice.

The "soft for the first shot, solids thereafter" plan came about long before the invention of bullets that reliably expand and penetrate. There still may be merit to that plan in some circumstances, but the simplicity of load a TSX and be done with it has a lot of appeal for buffalo, particularly if you are buying factory.

No one suggesting the Woodleigh 350gr soft/solid combo?

No one suggesting the Woodleigh 350gr soft/solid combo?

Is there factory ammo in the U.S. loaded with Woodleigh bullets?

I haven't seen it but I thought Norma did.

Well there you go. I do wonder how those 350's would do in my .375.

Soft followed by solids as mentioned! Take your rifle to the range when rebarrel is complete and put a whole box through it of whatever you want to start with. Get sighted in well. Then try a couple of other brands. You need to be very comfortable with the rifle so you can use some different loads InThat process. Then settle on the brand and put a box through it on another day!
When I got my 416 I probably shot up $500 worth of ammo getting comfortable with it.

Well there you go. I do wonder how those 350's would do in my .375.
Woodleigh 350gr. PP work good in my 375 Ruger Guide gun with 20" barrel.. I get 2391fps. and just under 1" group at 100yds. Haven't shot any game with it yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg