Best bullet for 30-378 Weatherby

Good Brother One Day, ... Quit being a politician and spit out the truth......
:E Rofl:this is my curse indeed! Not being a politician, and not shying away from the truth, mind you, but as @Red Leg observed in a different post, I do tend to have an analytical approach, which means that I tend to see both sides of the coin, and it is a rare coin indeed that is uni sided, therefore, what can I say, it is a rare case indeed when I see a clear cut "yes/no" or "right/wrong" situation. Drove my PhD Committee nuts :E Excited:
A kill shot at 500 yards or better is something to be extremely proud of ...
Yes I fully agree, BUT ONLY WHEN IT IS THE RESULT OF SKILL. A good test is: was it a cold bore shot? and can you make the same shot 3 times in a row? If the answers are "no" and "no," it was just luck, which means that it could just as well have resulted in a jaw shot or a gut shot and possibly a lost animal, about which there is nothing to be proud.
As you well know.... long range hunting and one shot killing is a commitment that will more than consume ones time, talent,and money.
I personally test those skills and equipment about once a month, shooting at 1,000 yd + at steel plates in various settings (the Arizona desert offers no lack of shooting space) so as to not know ahead of time the ballistic/wind solution. I indeed derive immense satisfaction at ringing the 12" steel at distances where I cannot see it with a naked eye (OK, my eyes are aging LOL!), but I know well enough how difficult it is to do it PREDICTABLY, RELIABLY and CONSISTENTLY with specialized equipment and consistent practice, to be very dubious about folks reporting doing it with hunting rifles and shooting two boxes of ammo per year, because indeed:
... guys who don't completely commit should never attempt it as the failure rate is extremely high for ... (those) ... who think that the weapon will do all the killing by itself.
I have actually lost a couple "friends" over this, regardless of whether they lack talent, knowledge, commitment, etc. Here is the recipe: invite a couple "friends" (acquaintances is probably a better word) to come shoot an afternoon, laser range finders allowed - since most folks now have one, and whatever shooting aid they use for hunting allowed too - dang few have sticks, but many have bipods, which can or cannot be used depending on terrain, vegetation, etc. It is just amazing how many guys who "shot their elk at 634 yd" are having hell's own time putting 1 bullet - never mind 3 in a row - in a 12" steel plate off a field shooting position at 300 yd. And it is a raaaaaare case indeed when the plate paint gets scratched at 600 yd, again, from a field shooting position.
If memory serves Von S. you posted a similar drill with 12" and 6" paper plates, and you too reported pretty dismal results...
Good Brother One Day
So, Good Brother Von S., this is why you read me being apparently on both sides of the issue: I know it can be done, ethically, but I also know how difficult it is to do it, and I know the failure rate....
You use a Weatherby round because all others pale by comparison...
Absolutely true. There was a time, before the wide and cheap availability of: 1) laser range finders; 2) chronographs; 3) ballistic software when I was absolutely convinced that the Weatherby cartridges gave a decisive edge to the hunter who could shot them well. This is when I bought my .300 Wby and .340 Wby. I now know that this edge is real, but not as decisive as I thought. Again, what can I say, this is just the cold hard truth...
Now if Dylan will tell us what optics he has and just how good of a shot he really is I am sure that he will get all the help from everyone that he will ever need to be successful in his new adventures.
Entirely correct. And I will add: wind gauge, weather station, ballistic software ... not to mention the rifle itself. Dylan could very well have, or could acquire, the right equipment, the right training, and the right consistent practice, to shoot predictably, reliably and consistently at untold distances, and all the power to him.

My $0.02 to share would be go ring the steel at 400, 500, 600 yd with boring predictability before he starts shooting at something alive past 300 yd...

And in fairness, I will note that Dylan never asked about hyper long range shooting but what bullet would give him consistent lightning-bolt DRT results in a 30-378 :sneaky:

Glad to see you back and :A Stirring: Von S. If all of this gets a few Brothers in Arms entertained, well that is good :A Big Hello:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.