Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
us mexico alaska south africa
what is the best brimmed hats you guys have used in africa and do you need one
or will a ball cap sufice?

It depends on the time of the year, it the winter a cap is fine, never hunter in the summer

Welcome to AH, Kevin, this is what I use

IMG_0126_zpsm8vmh0bb.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0126_zpsm8vmh0bb.jpg
    IMG_0126_zpsm8vmh0bb.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 408
Ball cap should be all you need....

.....and one of these will earn you brownie points...;)

Screenshot_20170513-213926.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ball cap generally suffices, but if it's hot, and there's a lot of sun, I also wear a boonie. Gives a bit more protection from the sun (especially on the ears, where I've had issues before).

I really want to see someone show up with a pith helmet though.

IMG_1814.JPG
Ball cap generally suffices, but if it's hot, and there's a lot of sun, I also wear a boonie. Gives a bit more protection from the sun (especially on the ears, where I've had issues before).

I really want to see someone show up with a pith helmet though.
Couldn't resist !

Looks like it belongs on you!!!

@sierraone , it did belong on me. Our PH took a serious shine to it. So if your PH in Namibia turns up in a pith helmet like that next week you'll know where it came from.

image.jpg

All three of the above have served me well.

I've used the same $7 surplus boonie hat for all outdoor activities for at least the last 10 years. No problem on three trips to Africa

cap or hat - depends on how sensitive you are to the sun and what time of year you hunt. if sensitive to sun or hunting when sun is intense, recommend a hat. i used Dorfman-Pacific Weathered Cotton Outback Hat With Chin Cord ordered off amazon. it's light/cotton & breathable with wire around the edge so it can be shaped as you please. flexible so it can be stuffed in a backpack. highly recommend it.

great info guys thanks

I have a hat from www.rogue.co.za it's very comfortable and keeps the sun off my head.

These rogue brimmed hats are very popular around here, but I've started wonder if the full brim is too unnatural of an outline to lend itself to concealment. On an unsuccessful buffalo hunt last year I had left my 11 year old son and a camp hand at the car while my friends and I tracked a group of buff. When we walked back to car some hours later my son said that the first thing he saw was my hat!

I bought a more discrete cap for hunting.

I did a 10 day hunt in Zim, followed by 7 days in Namibia so I wanted a wide brim hat for that many days in the sun (severe clear in Nam). I bought a wide brim, sort of canvas cowboy hat, for about $20 at Academy Sporting goods in Houston. Wish I had it when I went to Alaska. Had an unheard of 10 days of sunshine on a spring brown bear hunt on the Alaskan Peninsula and with just a ball cap was pulling my hood up to cover my neck. Daylight from 5am to 11pm didn't help either.

upload_2017-5-15_6-37-7.png

DSC00563_zps213e3f92.jpg

REI hat. I think though, on my next safari, Tilley hiker/summer hat. I like the brim and how the Tilley breathes over the REI hat.

Attachments

• DSC00563_zps213e3f92.jpg
    DSC00563_zps213e3f92.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 302

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross