Best books about hunting in Africa

Nathan Leslie

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am now less than two months away from my first African Safari, and have done hours and hours of internet research. Thinking about the long flight and the week I have to sit and wait in Mauritius ( well maybe that won't be so bad), I thought I would get a list of books to read in the mean time.
List your top 5 in order and if you wish a simple sentence what you like about each.
Thanks
Nate

Only 5 :Woot: ! 5 in order also ! Always up for a challenge I will give it a shot.

Death in the long grass by Peter Capstick. Literary licence may have embellished it but it is a good read.

Nimrod Smith by Alan Wykes.The story of Murray Smith's life hunting in East Africa.

Hunter by J.A.Hunter, life of a professional hunter in E.Africa.

The Maneaters of Tsavo by Lieut.Col.J.H.Patterson. Happily building railways is easier nowadays.

The Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter by W.D.M.Bell. Classic ! Why I had to buy a 7x57/275 to bring to Africa. Brought a Mannlicher Schonauer last time :Joyful:.

Plenty more to choose from and difficult to choose a top 5. There are so many good ones out there.

Only 5 :Woot: ! 5 in order also ! Always up for a challenge I will give it a shot.

Death in the long grass by Peter Capstick. Literary licence may have embellished it but it is a good read.

Nimrod Smith by Alan Wykes.The story of Murray Smith's life hunting in East Africa.

Hunter by J.A.Hunter, life of a professional hunter in E.Africa.

The Maneaters of Tsavo by Lieut.Col.J.H.Patterson. Happily building railways is easier nowadays.

The Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter by W.D.M.Bell. Classic ! Why I had to buy a 7x57/275 to bring to Africa. Brought a Mannlicher Schonauer last time :Joyful:.

Plenty more to choose from and difficult to choose a top 5. There are so many good ones out there.

Sounds like you have done a lot of reading!

Believe it !

1.) Horn of the Hunter By Robert Ruark.---- Classic, should be required reading before you are allowed to hunt in Africa!

2.) Months of the Sun By Ian Nyschens -----Old Africa, another classic, one of a kind adventures!

3.) Buffalo! By Craig Boddington------Not sure if you are hunting Buffalo on this trip-----but a must read if you ever are going to hunt Buffalo.

4.) The Perfect Shot By Kevin Robertson----Good info on where and how to place your bullet.

5.) Under the African Sun By Frank Hibben----Great stories and plenty of humor to go along with them.

Plenty more, but that should be a good start. Best of luck Nate!

Personally I like Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa, and recently if you are a bow hunter, esp trad bow, Sound of the String by Brad Isham. It's a different take on African story line, but a good fictional read

Any others, fellows? I'm eager to read some more.

Horn of the hunter was the best narrative

Covenant by Michiner was the best fiction

Africa Game Rifles and cartridges by Taylor was great

Safari rifles II was so-so

Death in the long grass wasn't moving to me, I think I'm the only lukewarm reviewer if this title in history

Wandering so of an elephant hunter was wonderful

Perfect shot is fantastic

What am I missing? Any other classics not yet mentioned in this thread?

Into The Thorns by Wayne Grant
Elephant! by Craig Boddington
Shooting the British Double by Graeme Wright

I will throw one more out there..... not a classic yet, but could be I suppose someday.

21 Days in Africa: A Hunter's Journal By Daniel J. Donarski----- A contemporary (2008) look at a hunting safari in Africa. Pretty well written on what to expect which includes tips about how to go about planning your own trip.

I will throw one more out there..... not a classic yet, but could be I suppose someday.

21 Days in Africa: A Hunter's Journal By Daniel J. Donarski----- A contemporary (2008) look at a hunting safari in Africa. Pretty well written on what to expect which includes tips about how to go about planning your own trip.

Well, I found it online in like-new condition for $1.00 so I ordered it. If the book is terrible, I'm coming after you for my $1 back! :)

Safari, A Chronicle of Adventure: by Bartle Bull....A history of the safari from 1836 until around 1990 when it was published. I read it around 92-93. All the famous hunters and PHs of the time are here. Great book if you like history.

rookhawk if you don't like the book I will send you a $1. I think you will like it. :E Frightened:

Hi Nathan Leslie,

Here are a few of my African favorites, more or less in order of priority (at least by my beginner's way of thinking anyway).

DANGEROUS GAME:
1. "Africa's Most Dangerous" - by Doctor Kevin Doctari Robertson.
2. "African Rifles & Cartridges" - John Taylor.
3. "Hunter" by J. A. Hunter
4. "Safari Rifles II" - Craig Boddington.
5. "Elephant Hunters Men of Legend" - Tony Sanchez-Arino (can't get my ~ to type above the n in Arino).

NON-DANGEROUS GAME:
1. "The Perfect Shot" - Dr. Kevin "Doctari" Robertson.
2. "Safari Rifles II" - Craig Boddington.
3. "Safari Rifles" - Craig Boddington.
4. "African Game Trails" - Theodore Roosebelt.
5. "Hunting the Spiral Horns ELAND Every Man's Elephant" - Edited by Peter Flack (multiple chapters written by multiple authors).

Likewise, there are many more but unfortunately, I have not yet read more than 15 or 20 books on Africa but, I am working on it ("day ain't over yet").

Tony Sanchez-Arino has alone written 8 separate books, specific to hunting in 8 individual African countries.
I have not read these 8 but I suspect they are probably quite good, as his writing is always so IMO.
Also, I really enjoyed the book, "Jungle Man" - by P.J. Pretorius but, it is not as much about hunting, as it is more of a glimpse into Africa's rich history and a "can't put it down" true story of adventure, (hard working little guy vs huge evil government), at the onset of WW-I in Africa , excellent book.
There are many other quite excellent books on this subject but, I (uncharacteristically) will stop here.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Love all the input and book club sharing!

Did Harry Selby ever receive a biography or did he write an autobiography? What about Percival?

I'd like to know more about them than what Ruark says.

guys, I'm buying a swath of these books. In case you're cheapskates like me here is a great place to buy:

Www.abebooks.com

It's a network of mom and pop used book stores all over the world. They will show you dozens of copies in various editions and conditions in various locations. You decide how lousy of a copy you'll tolerate and then buy. The website processes the secure payment for the independent dealers.

It rocks! I've bought books for $1, I've found $10,000 books for $1200. Everything under the sun.

guys, I'm buying a swath of these books. In case you're cheapskates like me here is a great place to buy:

Www.abebooks.com

It's a network of mom and pop used book stores all over the world. They will show you dozens of copies in various editions and conditions in various locations. You decide how lousy of a copy you'll tolerate and then buy. The website processes the secure payment for the independent dealers.

It rocks! I've bought books for $1, I've found $10,000 books for $1200. Everything under the sun.
I've used this site for many years primarily for archaeology and antiquities, but also a few about European doubles. And they never failed to be delivered within a week or so through the military mail system while I was working in Iraq! Receiving to my home is Florida seems unimpressive after that!

I have more than 60 books about hunting in Africa. It´s nearly impossible to pick the 5 best, there are so many good ones !

Just take a look at the Safaripress catalogue.

So rookhawk....do I owe you a dollar?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg